The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

5 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Surely there are some players in the lower leagues that could fill the role that Cosgrove had. If not, Scottish fitba is in a poor state.

That seems to be a bit of a blind spot for us in the Mcinnes era. Besides some youth players I can’t really think of just about any players brought in from the lower leagues up here. Deals like Nisbet to Hibs just never seem likely.

15 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

And if that was his only point then fair enough but when you have to start saying goals against certain teams or before a certain date don’t count it just reeks of pedantry.

Good luck debating with him without pedantry involved. I rarely give him any credit so I’m being charitable. 

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye, but Watkins would likely still be away this window, as would Edmondson.

So you'd still be in this position.

Could the money committed to the McCrorie deal not have been better spent elsewhere?

We could have also avoided spending £400,000 on Stevie May and then freeing him to a bottom 6 club.

McCrorie has been a success for us.

Guest Bob Mahelp
31 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye, but Watkins would likely still be away this window, as would Edmondson.

So you'd still be in this position.

Could the money committed to the McCrorie deal not have been better spent elsewhere?

I presume you're having a wee laugh here ?

McCrorie has been one of the stars of the season, for any club. The money we're paying to Rangers is a complete bargain considering that he'll turn into a Scotland international and make us a heap of cash when he's eventually sold on.

McInnes takes a lot of criticism in the transfer market (a lot of it from St Johnstone fans bizarrely) but I defy anyone to say that any other manager in Scotland has done better business in the last few years than bringing in Ferguson and McCrorie for comparative buttons.

20 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

That seems to be a bit of a blind spot for us in the Mcinnes era. Besides some youth players I can’t really think of just about any players brought in from the lower leagues up here. Deals like Nisbet to Hibs just never seem likely.

Found one. Callum Morris from Utd. 

39 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

And if that was his only point then fair enough but when you have to start saying goals against certain teams or before a certain date don’t count it just reeks of pedantry.

My point was he's not a "proven goalscorer", because he has 3 senior goals and is 22.

Countered by his youth goals, which was countered by the fact over 50% were against San Marino and Andorra, and I don't think thats a level of opponent that's relevant to the Scottish top flight.

It's all very simple.

7 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I presume you're having a wee laugh here ?

McCrorie has been one of the stars of the season, for any club. The money we're paying to Rangers is a complete bargain considering that he'll turn into a Scotland international and make us a heap of cash when he's eventually sold on.

McInnes takes a lot of criticism in the transfer market (a lot of it from St Johnstone fans bizarrely) but I defy anyone to say that any other manager in Scotland has done better business in the last few years than bringing in Ferguson and McCrorie for comparative buttons.

Aye, criticising the mccrorie deal is absolutely bizarre. Exactly the type of signing we should be making. 

6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Aye, criticising the mccrorie deal is absolutely bizarre. Exactly the type of signing we should be making. 

I wonder if you should've committed to signing him last Summer for this Summer, if that makes sense, as presumably it means you can't spend anything this window.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I wonder if you should've committed to signing him last Summer for this Summer, if that makes sense, as presumably it means you can't spend anything this window.

I think we took an opportunity that presented itself at the time. I’m sure with hindsight you can pick holes in it but overall it’s a smart investment that we should see back both on in the pitch and eventually in the bank. 

21 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Found one. Callum Morris from Utd. 

That was a weird one as well. Even more bemusing for the fans than signing Main. Pretty sure even at the time it was just for the sake of getting numbers but still a very odd one.

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

My point was he's not a "proven goalscorer", because he has 3 senior goals and is 22.

Countered by his youth goals, which was countered by the fact over 50% were against San Marino and Andorra, and I don't think thats a level of opponent that's relevant to the Scottish top flight.

It's all very simple.

Well 4 unless you don’t count the Belgian cup either.

9 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I think we took an opportunity that presented itself at the time. I’m sure with hindsight you can pick holes in it but overall it’s a smart investment that we should see back both on in the pitch and eventually in the bank. 

That's fair.

4 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Well 4 unless you don’t count the Belgian cup either.

It still doesn't mean he's a "proven goalscorer", which was my entire my point.

I've no idea why you've taken such umbrage at that.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

That's fair.

It still doesn't mean he's a "proven goalscorer", which was my entire my point.

I've no idea why you've taken such umbrage at that.

I’ve no idea why you took umbrage at someone describing him as a proven scorer in the first place. Why do you give a shit?

A risk/mistake, that was made in the Summer when you decided to run with Main as your only, permanent, 2nd choice striker.
Maybe just me but you've always looked like a club that don't particularly plan things that well. Signings are just sort of made on a vague idea of what McInnes wants to do with the knowledge he thinks the players joining are good, so he'll figure it out once they've joined.

McInnes always states that Aberdeen work a couple of windows in advance, no reason to doubt him at all....

10 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

That was a weird one as well. Even more bemusing for the fans than signing Main. Pretty sure even at the time it was just for the sake of getting numbers but still a very odd one.

I think we'd signed Paul Quinn the year before. Guess we just needed cheap centre backs for some reason. 

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

I think we'd signed Paul Quinn the year before. Guess we just needed cheap centre backs for some reason. 

I think Quinn had looked decent at County the season before and as a Scot who had played a number of seasons down south before heading back up thats right in Mcinnes usual range of signings. Besides the goal against Celtic I don’t remember that much about him but he was shipped off pretty quick. Was he that bad?

Just now, Rodhull said:

I think Quinn had looked decent at County the season before and as a Scot who had played a number of seasons down south before heading back up thats right in Mcinnes usual range of signings. Besides the goal against Celtic I don’t remember that much about him but he was shipped off pretty quick. Was he that bad?

Wouldn’t call him a failure. He was fairly average but didn’t get a regular game and think he eventually just wanted away back to the highlands so we let him go. 

2 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

He was ok. I don't remember him being a stand out at County. Think he left because he wanted first team football.  He was a less baffling signing than Morris.