The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

New poster, so please be gentle. I've been browsing Dons threads on here for a while, and finally decided I would sign-up to share my banal thoughts.

To start on a negative, yesterday's performance was pretty disappointing. For the majority of the game, we were toiling and couldn't really get into any discernible rhythm. You would have thought that the early goal would have given us the incentive to kick on and take the game by the scruff of the neck, but if anything it appeared to do the opposite. Logan and Taylor, both of whom I like, had very poor afternoons. Having said that, any suggestion that we should drop them for McLaughlin and Quinn, as I've read elsewhere, strikes me as a knee-jerk reaction that simply wouldn't improve our chances of getting back to winning ways.

Starting McLean in a deeper role, in my opinion, inhibits the team both defensively and offensively. He's a talented attacking midfielder, and he should be deployed behind Rooney or Goodwillie. Ideally, I would like Shinnie to be played at left-back, but, in Jack's absence, I think it would be sensible for him to partner Flood in the middle of the park.

As for talk of sacking McInnes? I think it's best just to ignore. It's not going to happen, and quite rightly so.

Welcome to the forum DrewDon.

Agree with you about McLean, crackin player but he is a number 10 behind the striker otherwise its just a waste.

I do rate Logan too especially offensively but he is way below par at the moment, he needs some proper competition and McLaughlin, Quinn etc is not it.

Jack is a big miss for us, you really notice how much we miss him when he is out.

I like Goodwillie, he is not the finisher Rooney is but is much more of an outball, can stretch defences and allows Pawlett, Hayes, McGinn, McLean to push forward in support much quicker.

Taylor and Flood, I dont see it with either, squad players at most for me.

McInnes you are right, he has to be given more time, after the dismal Craig Brown years, he has earned the right.

New poster, so please be gentle. I've been browsing Dons threads on here for a while, and finally decided I would sign-up to share my banal thoughts.

To start on a negative, yesterday's performance was pretty disappointing. For the majority of the game, we were toiling and couldn't really get into any discernible rhythm. You would have thought that the early goal would have given us the incentive to kick on and take the game by the scruff of the neck, but if anything it appeared to do the opposite. Logan and Taylor, both of whom I like, had very poor afternoons. Having said that, any suggestion that we should drop them for McLaughlin and Quinn, as I've read elsewhere, strikes me as a knee-jerk reaction that simply wouldn't improve our chances of getting back to winning ways.

Starting McLean in a deeper role, in my opinion, inhibits the team both defensively and offensively. He's a talented attacking midfielder, and he should be deployed behind Rooney or Goodwillie. Ideally, I would like Shinnie to be played at left-back, but, in Jack's absence, I think it would be sensible for him to partner Flood in the middle of the park.

As for talk of sacking McInnes? I think it's best just to ignore. It's not going to happen, and quite rightly so.

Welcome to the forum DrewDon.

Agree with you about McLean, crackin player but he is a number 10 behind the striker otherwise its just a waste.

I do rate Logan too especially offensively but he is way below par at the moment, he needs some proper competition and McLaughlin, Quinn etc is not it.

Jack is a big miss for us, you really notice how much we miss him when he is out.

I like Goodwillie, he is not the finisher Rooney is but is much more of an outball, can stretch defences and allows Pawlett, Hayes, McGinn, McLean to push forward in support much quicker.

Taylor and Flood, I dont see it with either, squad players at most for me.

McInnes you are right, he has to be given more time, after the dismal Craig Brown years, he has earned the right.

• 3 weeks later...

We have taken Finnish youth prospect Sebastian Dolvio on trial.

For those who dont know, Sebastian is Finnish, he is 19, a centre back and currently plays for Helsinki outfit Klubi-04.

I will update as per any more information I receive from my sources.

:lol:

Follows loads of people on Twitter type post.

We have taken Finnish youth prospect Sebastian Dolvio on trial.

For those who dont know, Sebastian is Finnish, he is 19, a centre back and currently plays for Helsinki outfit Klubi-04.

I will update as per any more information I receive from my sources.

????

It was on Twitter last week. Rangers also interested in him.

*It's DOLIVO by the way, for anyone searching for info on him.

Edited by Dunty

Disappointed that the Partick away game has moved to the Friday. I'm in Edinburgh that Friday for Enter Shikari and had planned on nipping through to Glasgow on the Saturday for it. At least I didn't have any train tickets booked yet like I had for the infamous 3-0 Hamilton away game last season.

Disappointed that the Partick away game has moved to the Friday. I'm in Edinburgh that Friday for Enter Shikari and had planned on nipping through to Glasgow on the Saturday for it. At least I didn't have any train tickets booked yet like I had for the infamous 3-0 Hamilton away game last season.

Man Enter Shikari will be amazing

I'm slightly irritated by the decision to move the Celtic game from Saturday 2nd to Wednesday 6th. Whilst I would have expected a lunchtime kick-off on either the Saturday or Sunday, I didn't foresee a switch to the middle of the week. Also, the fifth round of the Scottish Cup is the weekend immediately following that fixture, so, if we do get the better of Hearts, it doesn't give us the greatest amount of time to recuperate and prepare.

This is definitely the most worrying part:

FINANCIAL STATE OF AFC
"I think financially, we are probably at the best place the club has been for a long time. We are debt free, we have a very strong balance sheet and last year, we delivered the highest turnover the club has ever had.
"But having said all that, everyone recognises the way the environment is developing in the North East because of what is happening in the oil sector. We very much acknowledge that the next 12 to 18 months could be quite a challenging period on the corporate front and will likely affect everyone in the area. We are very much aware that some big challenges lie ahead for us.
"There is still a serious challenge in generating enough cash to keep the operations going at the level we want in order to be able to fund the manager and the team. That is not going to change overnight and it is going to be even more challenging with the environment that will prevail in the city in 2016.
"There is a lot of hard work ahead of us."

I don't know if I'd consider his statement especially worrying.

It's probably a fair, honest and accurate summation of the situation that most of us were expecting.

We're debt free, the team is decent but the reality is, that there is a very finite amount of money available to be found.

I'm glad there was no talk of warchests, over-investment, or pots of gold at ends of rainbows.