The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Guest Bob Mahelp

One thing is sure, the perception that we'll get a new manager, and then everything will be brand new and shiny and that we'll start winning games with amazing fitba has been completely blown out of the water.

This is a group of players utterly bereft of confidence, rudderless and leaderless. We've got cack all chance of winning anopther league game this season, and it everyone would be stunned if we actually scored a goal. 

A new manager will have to build a squad over the summer, effectively bring in a whole new strike force and attacking midfielders, find a style of play that the team are comfortable with, and hit the ground running in August. 

We're in relegation form at the moment, and bad start to next season could see things go very wrong very quickly. 

14 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

One thing is sure, the perception that we'll get a new manager, and then everything will be brand new and shiny and that we'll start winning games with amazing fitba has been completely blown out of the water.

Did anybody actually think this, though? The squad is sorely unbalanced and will need major surgery in the summer with the amount of players out-of-contract and the general lack of quality in many areas of the pitch. I don't think anybody realistically expected us to turn into Brazil 1970 overnight, or indeed at all.

4 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

I like him but he was rotten yesterday. 

At one point he tried a step over and looked like he'd broken his ankle when he kicked the ground. Just wasn't his day.

There's a player there. He's dominated games against Rangers. Needs more consistency.

McLennan's dominated games against Rangers ?..... I must've missed them , as I can't think of even one game against them he's dominated. 

In fact I can think of only one game which he did dominate and turned in  favour.....at home to Livvy when he came on for the second half and we came back from 2-1 down to win 3-2.  So. , strictly speaking , he dominated half a game.

I do agree though that it's unfair to single him out for criticism for the team's recent form. 

37 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Did anybody actually think this, though? The squad is sorely unbalanced and will need major surgery in the summer with the amount of players out-of-contract and the general lack of quality in many areas of the pitch. I don't think anybody realistically expected us to turn into Brazil 1970 overnight, or indeed at all.

Hibs you mean? 

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

I've got Dons mates who hated McInnes so much they would gladly have seen us relegated if it meant we got rid of him. 

They were sending WhatsApps after 60 minutes yesterday saying that we were playing much better football and we looked like an exciting, attacking team. For them, the grass will always be greener. 

Until it's not. But even then, it will be. 

1 minute ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I've got Dons mates who hated McInnes so much they would gladly have seen us relegated if it meant we got rid of him. 

They were sending WhatsApps after 60 minutes yesterday saying that we were playing much better football and we looked like an exciting, attacking team. For them, the grass will always be greener. 

People will see what they want to see, I guess. I think the reaction to yesterday from some people has been a bit much - I thought most of the players were going about like it was a bottom six dead rubber and that we never really looked like scoring, especially in the second half. There were some small positives to take away from the first half, but it is very much straw clutching after a dismal few months. 

35 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Indeed. I wouldn't mind the McInnes critics half so much if I thought they'd eat humble pie and admit they were wrong if we end up the the bottom six the next 3 years in a row.  But you know most of them will easily manage to rationalise that sacking McInnes was still the right decision, it's all the fault of new-scapegoat-of-choice, probably Cormack.  You know it really SHOULD have been all rosy by now, but the club got everything wrong.

Edited by Game of throw-ins

Given the whole shelf life thing we’ve heard so much about, Neil may have reached his down there.

He did, however, make fairly positive impacts at all his clubs to begin with, and his sides played decent stuff. He has to be a strong candidate.

37 minutes ago, Game of throw-ins said:

Indeed. I wouldn't mind the McInnes critics half so much if I thought they'd eat humble pie and admit they were wrong if we end up the the bottom six the next 3 years in a row.  But you know most of them will easily manage to rationalise that sacking McInnes was still the right decision, it's all the fault of new-scapegoat-of-choice, probably Cormack.  You know it really SHOULD have been all rosy by now, but the club got everything wrong.

Sorry, but this is nonsense.

Every sensible person accepts that McGhee being terrible didn't make sacking Calderwood the wrong decision, so there is no logical reason that the next guy being terrible would mean that sacking McInnes was the wrong decision either. If we do have three successive bottom six finishes, which I highly doubt will happen, then Cormack will deservedly get plenty of stick because it will suggest that he has made some terrible appointments. There is no reason that this should be happening, though - and I don't expect that it will.

Unfortunately, there is a small number of our fans who appear to be desperate for the next guy to fail just so they can claim to be correct about McInnes. 

6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

The mcinnes era is over. 

I will always look back on his time fondly but people would do well to move on sooner rather than later.

McInnes stabilized the club and brought credibility back. The time was right for things to be freshened up.

My point, Alex Neil would be joining a club that is in a strong position for him to hit the ground running and bring success. He'd improve upon the last 8 years. Thats the expectation.

Edited by HarleyQuinn

If we finish in the bottom six for the next three years it doesn’t mean that criticism of McInnes was wrong. He’d ran out of ideas and we were (are) on a disgraceful run of not even looking like scoring, never mind winning. What happens next doesn’t change that.

1 hour ago, Game of throw-ins said:

It could be argued that this way of thinking is paradoxical though, as if McInnes was kept in post, continuing on his most recent form, we could have ended up in the bottom six for the next three seasons anyway.  I haven't seen anything recently to suggest that McInnes would have been able to turn the team's fortunes around.  This is not a dig at McInnes, who up until recently had my backing as a pretty consistent manager.  I'm more than resigned to the fact that things will be worse before they get better, but suggesting that critics of McInnes should undergo some form of penitence, if or when this occurs, is a tad harsh.