The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Guest Bob Mahelp
13 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

Aye, the thing about Kamberi wearing gloves is absolute drivel. The article should be asking why Kamberi was played on the right side of midfield with a brief to chase United strikers back to his own bye-line, not why he chose to keep his hands warm. 

The rest of it is pretty much spot on though. The players were both terrified, and mentally and physically shattered. Glass should be asking why that was. Why a game against Celtic on the Wednesday (where they played well) had such a big negative effect on men who are apparently young athletes. 

And why were they terrified ? Is it because they were so uncomfortable with the tactics and insecure of their own roles in the team, that they were as a unit unable to react once things started to go wrong ?

Everybody has a bad day at the office, and Glass has only started his job, but he was done up like an absolute kipper by Mellon who knew exactly how we were going to play and how to counter it. 

Given the importance of the game - and the fact that in hindsight it was a glorious opportunity to win a cup thrown away - it's only right to ask questions about how it went so badly wrong. 

28 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

The negative Glass stories started before he was even appointed. I don’t really have an issue with him making excuses for the team in public, most managers apart from Lennon do this, but I would certainly hope that behind the scenes he was ripping into them.

20 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Aye, the thing about Kamberi wearing gloves is absolute drivel. The article should be asking why Kamberi was played on the right side of midfield with a brief to chase United strikers back to his own bye-line, not why he chose to keep his hands warm. 

The rest of it is pretty much spot on though. The players were both terrified, and mentally and physically shattered. Glass should be asking why that was. Why a game against Celtic on the Wednesday (where they played well) had such a big negative effect on men who are apparently young athletes. 

And why were they terrified ? Is it because they were so uncomfortable with the tactics and insecure of their own roles in the team, that they were as a unit unable to react once things started to go wrong ?

Everybody has a bad day at the office, and Glass has only started his job, but he was done up like an absolute kipper by Mellon who knew exactly how we were going to play and how to counter it. 

Given the importance of the game - and the fact that in hindsight it was a glorious opportunity to win a cup thrown away - it's only right to ask questions about how it went so badly wrong. 

I mean, the over arching theme that we were shite and there's a big job to do is right but I'm not sure we should dignify that article with a 'spot on'.

There's a load of hyperbolic drivel in there. 'A malaise hidden by year after year of 2nd and 3rd place finishes...' Eh, I don't think finishing 2nd was ever really a sign of malaise and he'll have to point me to the last time we finished 3rd (2014).

Kamberi in gloves is yer da nonsense, as you say you could just criticise his actual performance and role which was woeful.

I'd suggest the article is stating the bleeding obvious dressed up with a load of irrelevant pish.

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I mean, the over arching theme that we were shite and there's a big job to do is right but I'm not sure we should dignify that article with a 'spot on'.

There's a load of hyperbolic drivel in there. 'A malaise hidden by year after year of 2nd and 3rd place finishes...' Eh, I don't think finishing 2nd was ever really a sign of malaise and he'll have to point me to the last time we finished 3rd (2014).

Kamberi in gloves is yer da nonsense, as you say you could just criticise his actual performance and role which was woeful.

I'd suggest the article is stating the bleeding obvious dressed up with a load of irrelevant pish.

Same paper was saying it was mad to get rid of McInnes. In that article they're suggesting Glass has inherited a sinking ship.

58 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

Pile of shite that "story", full of snidey comments but lacking in substance. Where were all these stories when the Dons were "claiming second and third place finishes"? The league must be utter garbage to allow the Dons to finish so high so consistently if they've been so crap for so long.

Guest Bob Mahelp
32 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Pretty much sums it up. Chapeau Sir. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
9 hours ago, Rodhull said:

First I've seen us linked with him. Wouldn't have imagined more midfielders would be a priority, good as he has looked at times for St Mirren.

It's an interesting one. On first reflection, it's true, we're loaded with midfielders. But if you consider that many of them are similar....Ferguson, Campbell, McCrorie....and that we're likely to rely less on McGinn and Hayes, it makes sense to try and bring in an attacking midfielder that will push 20 yards further up the park than Ferguson. 

If you want a St Mirren analogy, we need a Billy Stark. 

I don't know enough about McGrath to comment on his game, but I'd say that there's definitely space in the team for an attacking midfielder.  

9 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

It's an interesting one. On first reflection, it's true, we're loaded with midfielders. But if you consider that many of them are similar....Ferguson, Campbell, McCrorie....and that we're likely to rely less on McGinn and Hayes, it makes sense to try and bring in an attacking midfielder that will push 20 yards further up the park than Ferguson. 

If you want a St Mirren analogy, we need a Billy Stark. 

I don't know enough about McGrath to comment on his game, but I'd say that there's definitely space in the team for an attacking midfielder.  

Glass' favoured formation is apparently 4-2-3-1. Looks like he fancies him for a spot behind the striker?

Fuck signing St Mirren players, you lads need to start snapping up our players again.  A v v v v clear downturn in fortune since you stopped that signing policy.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

f**k signing St Mirren players, you lads need to start snapping up our players again.  A v v v v clear downturn in fortune since you stopped that signing policy.

There’s a young lad in your team who should be on the radar 

4 hours ago, Golden Gordon said:

Parks always likes to think he's cutting edge - and AFC, as with many central belt based journalists, can be a much easier target for a level of snideyness than clubs closer to his home.

However, apart from the gloves stuff of which I care about not a jot - there were one or two home truths in this that need to be addressed.

At a time when we have part time players in our lower leagues playing 4 games in 7 days - to overplay the tired and mentally drained thing was a worry. A lot of it was down to a philosophy of what looks like building from the front, and negating the one thing we have generally been good at (other than the odd abberation and Celtic games) and that is being a very hard team to score against.

It may be dull and not the sexy exciting new future that our young generation of fans have demanded - but if the basics go out the window then we'll very quickly become easy pickings and have a lot more opposition managers rubbing their hands when they see AFC is their next fixture.

Edited by tarapoa