The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Guest Bob Mahelp
43 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

With you on this one. 

The amount of drivel re Boyle is cringeworthy. 

When Hibs eventually sell him to Wigan or Peterborough,  they'll be delighted if they can get 750K for him. 

There are reasons why teams aren't lining up to make bids for him, and I've listed them all above. They're waiting to see if last season was a flash in the pan season, and they're waiting to see if, despite the hype around him, he's capable of influencing games that count.....in any 'big' game Hibs played last season, he was pretty much anonymous, including the cup final where he disappeared. 

Where was he during Hibs' European adventure ? Did he even play ?

Peter Pawlett had a good season once. Even got his own song. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

1 hour ago, CCB19035 said:

Dons fans for the last 18 months; 

Theres a lack of pace in our team, and we struggle so score goals/create chances. 

Linked with signing a player who ticks all the boxes; 

Can we afford him? Could we do better? He does get injured, etc etc.

Never understand why we're like this

We should be asking questions of the club. 

If there's an alternative to Boyle who's younger and has the potential to be a better player then it should be explored.

Chucking seven figures at Hibs for a player in his peak may help us finish third this season but it's not going to kick us on a level.

I suspect the odds of us signing Boyle may depend on whether we get to the European group stages.

I've backed the team by getting tickets for next Thursdays game. Hopefully, we can get a draw on the quarabag tractor pitch to take to the home leg. Maybe we be cursing their lack of AstroTurf by then?

Who's chucking 7 figures where? As far as I'm aware Aberdeen have bid a 6 figure sum, most probably encouraged by the players agent. We won't go to 1,000,000 for him. Still, the attempt for such an audacious signing should excite us. 

So we'd be deliberately wasting time in bidding way below what we know another club would accept?

There's not a chance they sell him to us for that amount. Therefore nothing to get excited about.

Guest Bob Mahelp

We only need one good season from Boyle to get us a trophy. 

Possibly, but one good season from him last year didn't win Hibs anything. As I pointed out, in their 'big' games (semi final against Hearts, cup final etc) he hid. 

He's a decent player, and on current form would be a good addition to the Dons side. But not at 500K or more for a player who is 28 and who's biggest asset (his pace) will start to wane in the next couple of seasons. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

No, but another club might accept 500K for a good player. 

Shows we're keen and active, I've no issues with it. 

That's fairy nuff. If we actually have 500K, I'm pleased to see that we're prepared to invest it in the team. 

I just have issue with us trying to buy Boyle with that (not that Hibs would sell him to us). I'd rather we used it on better options. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

That's fairy nuff. If we actually have 500K, I'm pleased to see that we're prepared to invest it in the team. 

I just have issue with us trying to buy Boyle with that (not that Hibs would sell him to us). I'd rather we used it on better options. 

I’d say 500k represents the very very upper limit (and still debatable) of what we’d consider a valuable deal for us to bring in Boyle. Anything north of that is a no from me.

It is just the case that any player in world football for any club will have a financial threshold at which point it becomes a bad deal for the buying club and to my mind signing Boyle can only be done by entering into a bad deal. 

Haven't been following the thread for a few days so this may have been mentioned...

Surely we can just get Atlanta to bid for him and loan him to us for the season? We can either make the swap with Hernandez permanent as a make weight, or stump up the cash?

Haven't been following the thread for a few days so this may have been mentioned...
Surely we can just get Atlanta to bid for him and loan him to us for the season? We can either make the swap with Hernandez permanent as a make weight, or stump up the cash?

All kinds of issues seem to come with this, some of which may be more problematic that others depending what the reality is - MLS transfer window, MLS player ownership rules, US work permit, possible limitations on clubs per season - and somehow you need to get through all that in the next two weeks.

Just now, tarapoa said:

All kinds of issues seem to come with this, some of which may be more problematic that others depending what the reality is - MLS transfer window, MLS player ownership rules, US work permit, possible limitations on clubs per season - and somehow you need to get through all that in the next two weeks.

Admittedly I know absolutely nothing about MLS transfer window or player ownership rules, or indeed US work permit rules. Surely none of that actually matters if he's never going to play for them?

Even if the Atlanta thing was possible (it’s not) and he was desperate to leave hibs for Aberdeen (he isn’t), he’d be effectively burning all his bridges there by exploiting a loophole in his contract to end up with us, which I really don’t think he’d do. 

It’s just a no goer. 

16 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Even if the Atlanta thing was possible (it’s not) and he was desperate to leave hibs for Aberdeen (he isn’t), he’d be effectively burning all his bridges there by exploiting a loophole in his contract to end up with us, which I really don’t think he’d do. 

It’s just a no goer. 

He is keen on the move, and it's been discussed for a long time

1 hour ago, d31 said:

He is keen on the move, and it's been discussed for a long time

I'm not sure how you've came to that conclusion, or indeed, how you would know that but this article in The Scotsman seems to suggest that Aberdeen misunderstood the release clause, as someone said earlier in thread...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/power-plays-release-clauses-public-rejection-the-story-of-martin-boyle-hibs-aberdeen-and-a-very-probable-new-easter-road-deal-3350001%3famp

I'm not sure how you've came to that conclusion, or indeed, how you would know that but this article in The Scotsman seems to suggest that Aberdeen misunderstood the release clause, as someone said earlier in thread...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/power-plays-release-clauses-public-rejection-the-story-of-martin-boyle-hibs-aberdeen-and-a-very-probable-new-easter-road-deal-3350001%3famp

That’s a nonsense article though

7 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Cool story that one. He won't be signing a new contract unless Hibs do something stupid like make him their best paid player in the last 20 years

9 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

It’s just a no goer. 

Again, I'm not an expert but I was under the impression that "transfer window" is something of a semantic error. They are registration windows; any club can buy a player at any time, they just can't register them to play in their domestic competitions. Which in this case wouldn't be an issue, as he wouldn't be playing for them. Man Utd used to do this all the time with non-EU players, signing them up and immediately loaning them out to Royal Antwerp for 2 years (only 2 years to get nationality in Belgium iirc). Meant they came back to Man Utd as EU citizens.

The rule of being registered with no more than 3 clubs per season isn't broken. Even if it was still 2 clubs it wouldn't be broken, because he wouldn't ever be registered with Atlanta Utd.

Only problem is whether there are any mental MLS franchise based rules, which let's face it....none of us know for certain.

Your other two points are pure conjecture, but there may be an element of truth to either of them. I can't see the third point being the case though. Why would he be worried about burning his bridges? He'd presumably want a 3 or 4 year contract, at the end of which he'll either be good enough to stay at Aberdeen, or there will be plenty of potential suitors. He's never going to have to rely solely on Hibs for a contract offer again.