The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

5 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Hayes was forced to keep half an eye on the guy running unopposed to his left - if that runner that had been tracked, then Hayes can solely concentrate on defending the shot.

Football can often be about creating overlaps, and the minute you let it happen, you are in trouble.  I am in the 'Lewis may have done better with the shot' too camp, but it would have been a very good save if he'd made it, and he deserves credit for two very important saves near the start and end. 

The guy was cutting in long before the overlap was there. At no point does the overlap cause any confusion. It's clear as day on the highlights.

Hayes is all over the place when he's at left back/wing back but defends brilliantly when played further forward. Should never have been signed to play left back.

The guy was cutting in long before the overlap was there. At no point does the overlap cause any confusion. It's clear as day on the highlights.
Hayes is all over the place when he's at left back/wing back but defends brilliantly when played further forward. Should never have been signed to play left back.

To be fair, he’s been playing as a utility man under Glass. Jack Mackenzie was left back until Considine went off. The bigger concern is NO backup CB rather than Hayes being emergency left back.

5 minutes ago, Alex_14 said:

To be fair, he’s been playing as a utility man under Glass. Jack Mackenzie was left back until Considine went off. The bigger concern is NO backup CB rather than Hayes being emergency left back.

That's a fair enough point that I have no issue with. 

Unfortunately we are still saddled with an expensive back up who isn't good enough for the position because he used to play here.

56 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Disagree with that, not that I am saying Hayes is a top drawer defender. I still think Hayes will have been aware of the runner, and sometimes just that split second of doubt on who is meant to be picking up who, and the next thing you know someone has flashed a shot through your legs into the bottom corner.  

Hayes should still be reliable enough utility player type back-up in a few positions, but that's no excuse for not having another centre-half. The whole Devlin thing needs questioned, and given the importance of these games, as does the inaction on that part of the squad when Clark Robertson decided about six weeks to go elsewhere.

We do seem to have this habit of picking up key injuries to important players at the most inopportune moments - I'm sure it happens to all clubs, but we really do get more than our fair share - and the fact one would happen today on that pitch was brutally predictable.

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

A bit harsh to judge that moment whilst he's playing on that pitch and was fucking knackered.

Not just judging on that - have seen some good and not-so-good in the games so far, and was very disappointed in the hold-up play of both strikers in the first half.  Two empty jerseys there and a large part of the reason why the first half was a horrible watch.

He did a wee bit better second half - where there was an element of link-up with Ojo and McLennan.

Edited by tarapoa

4 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Disagree with that, not that I am saying Hayes is a top drawer defender. I still think Hayes will have been aware of the runner, and sometimes just that split second of doubt on who is meant to be picking up who, and the next thing you know someone has flashed a shot through your legs into the bottom corner.  

Hayes should still be reliable enough utility player type back-up in a few positions, but that's no excuse for not having another centre-half. The whole Devlin thing needs questioned, and given the importance of these games, as does the inaction on that part of the squad when Clark Robertson decided about six weeks to go elsewhere.

We do seem to have this habit of picking up key injuries to important players at the most inopportune moments - I'm sure it happens to all clubs, but we really do get more than our fair share - and the fact one would happen today on that pitch was brutally predictable.

We're clearly not going to agree on Hayes here but if he shows the attacker outside then the overlap isn't going to happen. The other player then has to come inside and crowds the area.

Hayes could be a decent back up but he should be on a wage that reflects that. I'd bet my life that he came from Celtic on a more than good wage.

No disagreement from me that another CB was required and that was before Consi's injury.

Our level of performance in the last four games is concerning. These tougher assignments, and you can throw in visits to the gruesomes, are going to require more than Thomas and Ramirez offer us if the start of the season is a yardstick. Ramirez seems to have about enough fuel for 60 minutes.

It's difficult to know whether or not to be happy with the narrow defeat. Was the pitch a leveller and should we expect to see a slick and swift counter attacking Qarabag at Pittodrie? Have we missed our opportunity on the bad pitch or do we have enough to take care of them at Pittodrie?

I don't know but it feels like Hedges is going to be a big loss for us on Thursday.

7 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Grass pitch, plastic pitch, you c***s are never happy.

A pitch that doesn’t resemble the moon is preferable though. 

And here’s hoping Ferranti/Meadowbank or whatever the f**k you lot call yourself go down, so there’s no amateur level pitch for the big boys to play on. 

23 minutes ago, KingswellsRed said:

Personally I think we have a slim chance of turning it around. I thought before the game last night we couldn’t afford to go behind against an experienced team in Europe. I live in hope though.

I’d say maybe 70/30 in their favour. 

I suspect they’ll let us come at them in the opening 15-20 minutes, expecting us to huff and puff so if we could find a spark and a goal in that time then who knows. 

10 hours ago, CCB19035 said:

If we go through to Europe it'll be because we scratched and clawed our way through, not because were any good. 

And I'll not care. Any which way we get through.

9 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

There's a multiquote function min.

How does that work?

8 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Grass pitch, plastic pitch, you c***s are never happy.

I'm a Dons fan. That explains my manic depressive demeanour.

I'll be happy if we get to the group stages but it'll only be a fleeting feeling before returning to my doom and gloom.

1 minute ago, Suspect Device said:

And I'll not care. Any which way we get through.

How does that work?

I'm a Dons fan. That explains my manic depressive demeanour.

I'll be happy if we get to the group stages but it'll only be a fleeting feeling before returning to my doom and gloom.

It’ll be a nice moment before you realise it’s 6 guaranteed pumpings that probably ruin any hope of domestic consistency in the league and we’re already out of one cup. 

Also it will be too late to do any meaningful and significant business with the extra funds available as a result of qualifying so we’re stuck with jack gurr every Sunday after a European night. 

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

It’ll be a nice moment before you realise it’s 6 guaranteed pumpings that probably ruin any hope of domestic consistency in the league and we’re already out of one cup. 

Also it will be too late to do any meaningful and significant business with the extra funds available as a result of qualifying so we’re stuck with jack gurr every Sunday after a European night. 

Although you should have a lot of money to do transfers in January?

(not sure exactly how the cash works in Conf group stage, but it wont be insignificant).

33 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

A pitch that doesn’t resemble the moon is preferable though. 

And here’s hoping Ferranti/Meadowbank or whatever the f**k you lot call yourself go down, so there’s no amateur level pitch for the big boys to play on. 

Pittodrie in February, aye that’s a first class playing surface.

3 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Although you should have a lot of money to do transfers in January?

(not sure exactly how the cash works in Conf group stage, but it wont be insignificant).

I’m only joking really, it would be amazing to qualify. The last time was great fun. 

ETA I think the prize money for qualifying alone is c 2.5m euros so it’s definitely significant. 

Edited by Dons_1988