The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

35 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

So because Glass isn't going to be sacked we should just arbitrarily pick a member of staff to be sacked based on no real evidence we're aware of to appoint a hypothetical experienced coach into a different position than the sacked member of staff had in the hope it'll solve.....something?

I appreciate we're all pretty frustrated just now but think that's just a bit of a reach. Unless someone is claiming to have some inside knowledge of what's going on I don't think there's any basis for singling out a single backroom member of staff as the issue.

Fah in the backroom is there onybody that looks capable o sorting us defensively? I’m nae getting the great love in for the guy and I’m nae suggesting he should be bulleted, I jist think if things dinna improve there will be shake up, Cormack may throw a bone tae appease the discontent. Getting rid o the analyst or Broon? Nah, Russell is the perfect scapegoat tae replace with somebody experienced along side Glass.

1 hour ago, Rodhull said:

Based on what though? He's not even the assistant manager? He, Brown and Apaloo are all the more American style assistant head coach position.

Don't get me wrong Russell could be horrendous for all I know but seems odd to single him out specifically without anything specific to go on? I know he obviously had the issues with the drink drive thing but that shouldn't necessarily have any impact on his coaching.

Most of our goals seem to have come from set pieces, so I’d say he’s doing more good than Stephen Glass. 

8 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I actually don’t understand why you’re singling Russell out. 

He’s been sold as a set piece expert and he’s clearly influenced that so far this season, despite results. 

Both goals on Sunday were set pieces, great balls from Ramsay.

11 hours ago, Rodhull said:

Based on what though? He's not even the assistant manager? He, Brown and Apaloo are all the more American style assistant head coach position.

Don't get me wrong Russell could be horrendous for all I know but seems odd to single him out specifically without anything specific to go on? I know he obviously had the issues with the drink drive thing but that shouldn't necessarily have any impact on his coaching.

Unless he's driving it.

Guest Bob Mahelp
12 hours ago, tarapoa said:

An interesting article. 

It's obvious to a blind man that in the list of reasons to explain why Glass got the job, none of them include the phrase 'because of his excellent managerial experience'. 

He got the job because oor Dave sees himself as an innovative, progressive Chairman who likes a bit of a left field gamble. He can see things that other footballing people can't, and on top of that, he's a man of the people. 

Was in Gothenburg, didn't you know ? Uses Twitter, and listens to mouthy, opinionated arseholes who hated McInnes. So McInnes has to go....it's called giving the fans what they want. You can't get more man of the people than that, can you ?

On top of all that, he's got a philosophy. Sexy, attacking football. Yaaaaas. And he's got the man in place to give us that....to bring back the glory to the Pitt o'dreams, and to raise oor Dave to the pantheon of footballing Chairmen Gods, where he clearly deserves to be. 

What could go wrong ? (To be continued....)

22 hours ago, tarapoa said:

There was always going to be around a 20% chance of improving on that base performance, and at least a 50% chance of it significantly dipping.

Many of the older heads on here probably realised that from experience of previous changes - a lot of the younger folks on mainstream social media maybe less so.  

A large part of why the club is in the state it is comes down to the previous manager.

It was absolutely Derek's time to go. Just like it was Calderwood's time to go. Just like it was Alex Smith's time to go. Just because the immediate appointments didn't work out doesn't mean the change wasn't necessary.

1 hour ago, CCB19035 said:

It's a worry how often I'm seeing fans having to make this point to other fans. 

It can be true that it was both Dereks time to go and that Glass isn't the right appointment. 

Hardly a tough one to understand. 

The only people who are entitled to offer an opinion on McInnes leaving Aberdeen are the ones who watched the utter dross & tedium served up be McInnes teams in the last 2 years.

Opposition fans are talking out of complete ignorance. How often will they have seen Aberdeen play? 

It's a worry how often I'm seeing fans having to make this point to other fans. 

It can be true that it was both Dereks time to go and that Glass isn't the right appointment. 

Hardly a tough one to understand. 

Since he quoted my post, I presume you feel he is making the point to me despite the fact I never even mentioned McInnes.

I have seen AFC feel the need to change things many times watching them - as I am sure most of us have and sometimes from a position of relative strength.

The most stark example to me is Willie Miller in 94/95 to try and push us from nearly men into winners - and instead we dropped like a stone and the rest is history.

My point is that the many of these fans who campaigned loudest for the change, especially the mainstream social media brigade, seem genuinely surprised that there’s a chance the base position of regular European qualifications and Hampden appearances may be a thing of the past as a consequence.

The edict from the top to play a certain style may be a bigger problem there than the manager employed to execute it. Again though, this seems to be a reaction to all the “eyebleeding fitba” type comments. Callum Davidson’s team’s play that way, but sometimes it can lead to a trophy or two.

We seem to be going the way of certain Hibs teams, who we used to laugh at with their so-called pretty fitba - whilst they have now turned into a side that will pick up points winning ugly and usually get to at least the semis in the cups - which is even worse when the best of the rest this season WILL mean European group stage fitba.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest Bob Mahelp

I know Dons' fans who would barely care if we got relegated under Glass, simply because they hated McInnes so much. 

They talk about 'giving Glass time', because they feel that to admit we fucked up by appointing him is equivalent to admitting that we were wrong to get rid of McInnes. 

McInnes's time effectively came to an end the second Milne walked out and Cormack became chairman.  It was the football equivalent of McInnes being given a pistol and a brandy, and being asked politely if he would like to retire to the study. 

Except that it lasted 15 months longer than it should have. He should have went at the end of the 2019/20 season, and allowed Glass an extra season to screw things up. 

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

Since he quoted my post, I presume you feel he is making the point to me despite the fact I never even mentioned McInnes.

I have seen AFC feel the need to change things many times watching them - as I am sure most of us have and sometimes from a position of relative strength.

The most stark example to me is Willie Miller in 94/95 to try and push us from nearly men into winners - and instead we dropped like a stone and the rest is history.

My point is that the many of these fans who campaigned loudest for the change, especially the mainstream social media brigade, seem genuinely surprised that there’s a chance the base position of regular European qualifications and Hampden appearances may be a thing of the past as a consequence.

The edict from the top to play a certain style may be a bigger problem there than the manager employed to execute it. Again though, this seems to be a reaction to all the “eyebleeding fitba” type comments. Callum Davidson’s team’s play that way, but sometimes it can lead to a trophy or two.

We seem to be going the way of certain Hibs teams, who we used to laugh at with their so-called pretty fitba - whilst they have now turned into a side that will pick up points winning ugly and usually get to at least the semis in the cups - which is even worse when the best of the rest this season WILL mean European group stage fitba.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well what other change could you have been talking about? Again you're going on about top four and Hampden appearances.

Over Derek's time it went from top 2 and finals to top four and semi regular Hampden appearances. All signs pointed to further regression.

Callum Davidson can get away with playing eye bleeding football because they have the budget of a team that should be playing eye bleeding football. If St Johnstone had the budget of ours without the trophies to show for it then I presume their fans wouldn't accept that style of football either.

56 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I know Dons' fans who would barely care if we got relegated under Glass, simply because they hated McInnes so much. 

They talk about 'giving Glass time', because they feel that to admit we fucked up by appointing him is equivalent to admitting that we were wrong to get rid of McInnes. 

McInnes's time effectively came to an end the second Milne walked out and Cormack became chairman.  It was the football equivalent of McInnes being given a pistol and a brandy, and being asked politely if he would like to retire to the study. 

Except that it lasted 15 months longer than it should have. He should have went at the end of the 2019/20 season, and allowed Glass an extra season to screw things up. 

Nonsense Bob. McInnes was given a contract way above his worth because he was Milne's shield. His first successful appointment (Calderwood was Miller's man).

You could turn your first sentence around and say you're desperate for Glass to fail so you can say you were right about McInnes.

There wasn't a person on here who had Glass as their first choice appointment. No idea why people suggesting he should get a bit of time equates to not willing to admit they're wrong about McInnes either.

McInnes had to go. Consecutive finishes behind clubs with far inferior budgets along with his signing policy should have seen him gone earlier than he was. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Nonsense Bob. McInnes was given a contract way above his worth because he was Milne's shield. His first successful appointment (Calderwood was Miller's man).

You could turn your first sentence around and say you're desperate for Glass to fail so you can say you were right about McInnes.

There wasn't a person on here who had Glass as their first choice appointment. No idea why people suggesting he should get a bit of time equates to not willing to admit they're wrong about McInnes either.

McInnes had to go. Consecutive finishes behind clubs with far inferior budgets along with his signing policy should have seen him gone earlier than he was. 

I've never, ever once posted anything to suggest otherwise. His time was up. 

But McInnes leaving and Glass being appointed were not stand alone events. At the point we decided that McInnes had to go, it was absolutely essential that we appointed the right man to build on what I would still insist was a solid record. 

We haven't.  But I've no doubt at all that Glass will get time, regardless of what happens in the next month or so. 

I think the point I'm stumbling to make is that I'm not really a 'grass is always greener' man, certainly not when it comes to my football club. It was time for McInnes to go, but...IMHO....gambling with his replacement was foolish. 

16 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I've never, ever once posted anything to suggest otherwise. His time was up. 

But McInnes leaving and Glass being appointed were not stand alone events. At the point we decided that McInnes had to go, it was absolutely essential that we appointed the right man to build on what I would still insist was a solid record. 

We haven't.  But I've no doubt at all that Glass will get time, regardless of what happens in the next month or so. 

I think the point I'm stumbling to make is that I'm not really a 'grass is always greener' man, certainly not when it comes to my football club. It was time for McInnes to go, but...IMHO....gambling with his replacement was foolish. 

Well your last sentence I can certainly agree with.