The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

10 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Wouldn't have complained of we emptied him if we'd lost to Hibs but I do feel a new manager needs several windows to get a fair crack at it. 

Interested to see what he does in January.

Here’s hoping it’s better than the summer. 

Darren Mowbray will have a big influence compared to then. 
Here’s hoping he does better than his alleged first contribution in Austin Samuels 

36 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Here’s hoping he does better than his alleged first contribution in Austin Samuels 

To be fair, he was just on the door and had very little time to get someone in.

11 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

We do need someone to keep tabs on the English market but I hope Mowbray or someone at the club monitors the lower leagues and youngsters in Scotland too for potential signings. There isn't a cornucopia of talent in Scotland; however, there are gems to be found occasionally that can be picked up relatively, in comparison to England, cheaply. We certainly seem to have missed out on youngsters from the surrounding area in recent times, for example, with Armstrong, the Souttars and Ryan Gauld.

Guest Bob Mahelp
35 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

We do need someone to keep tabs on the English market but I hope Mowbray or someone at the club monitors the lower leagues and youngsters in Scotland too for potential signings. There isn't a cornucopia of talent in Scotland; however, there are gems to be found occasionally that can be picked up relatively, in comparison to England, cheaply. We certainly seem to have missed out on youngsters from the surrounding area in recent times, for example, with Armstrong, the Souttars and Ryan Gauld.

We've been very poor for years now at looking at players right under our nose. 

There's virtually no difference between the teams in the Championship and most of the Premiership, and there are players in there that could do a job for most Premiership teams. 

I honestly can't remember the last player we signed from a lower league side in Scotland. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

There's virtually no difference between the teams in the Championship and most of the Premiership, and there are players in there that could do a job for most Premiership teams. 

I honestly can't remember the last player we signed from a lower league side in Scotland. 

Shankland I’d guess 

6 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

According to transfermarkt it was Cerny in 18/19 from Partick. Tansey from Inverness the year before. 

19 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Michael Ruth probably 

And Falkirk fans don’t seem to rate him 

On 12/12/2021 at 09:57, Don exotic said:

I didn't see this game, but from what I heard on the radio maybe you could make a case for SJ. However, there is truth in your post in general. How can the 4th and 5th place teams be on negative goal difference at this stage. There are so many park the bus teams in the league in most matches you only see occasional outbreaks of football. Teams like Motherwell and Livi, with their style of play should not be in this league.

The problem is the SPL doesn't matter enough.  The game is run mainly in the interests of the bigger clubs in the bigger leagues who monopolise the top creative  talent and can win things playing an  adventurous style.  Their fans see entertaining football.  If these clubs were struggling to score against packed defences the rules would be tweaked.

The other problem we have is the lop-sidedness of the league.  If the rules were changed to reward attacking play we might see better football when we were playing St Mirren or Hearts, but the OF would be scoring 4 or 5 nearly every time they played so any other clubs chances of winning anything would be even less than they are now.

2 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Given that statement, I doubt very much that you watched the Ayr v Hamilton match on Friday night.

I’d say there’s a huge jump between the Championship and where we should be aiming (European places). We’ve had a mix of success with other Prem players (Shinnie, McLean vs Devlin, Kennedy) but I’d rather we continued going for that kind of player than look at players at a level below.

Guest Bob Mahelp
5 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Given that statement, I doubt very much that you watched the Ayr v Hamilton match on Friday night.

1 hour ago, lubo_blaha said:

I’d say there’s a huge jump between the Championship and where we should be aiming (European places). We’ve had a mix of success with other Prem players (Shinnie, McLean vs Devlin, Kennedy) but I’d rather we continued going for that kind of player than look at players at a level below.

Both true lads. I suppose that I'm looking on it from the pov that in cup ties there's generally very little difference between the sides in different leagues (non OF premiership v Championship) and it's never really looked upon as a shock these days if the lower league side wins. 

That wasn't the case maybe even 20 years ago. 

Hibs showed with Nisbet that you can take players straight out of the Championship and within a year or so make them internationalists. David Bates played 37 games at lower league level (most of them on loan to East Stirling and Brechin) before a brief stop at Rangers, then ending up with Hamburg. 

The general level of players in the Championship is not that high, I agree. But that doesn't mean that there aren't some diamonds in there. 

We just never seem to be interested in looking for them. 

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Both true lads. I suppose that I'm looking on it from the pov that in cup ties there's generally very little difference between the sides in different leagues (non OF premiership v Championship) and it's never really looked upon as a shock these days if the lower league side wins. 

That wasn't the case maybe even 20 years ago. 

Hibs showed with Nisbet that you can take players straight out of the Championship and within a year or so make them internationalists. David Bates played 37 games at lower league level (most of them on loan to East Stirling and Brechin) before a brief stop at Rangers, then ending up with Hamburg. 

The general level of players in the Championship is not that high, I agree. But that doesn't mean that there aren't some diamonds in there. 

We just never seem to be interested in looking for them. 

I have been to a lot of games at all levels in Scotland, and the championship in general is a long way from 3/4/5 in the premiership. 
There are occasionally though a decent young player or 2 worth a punt and the cost would usually be low.

Overall not a great market with Nisbet being the best recent example.

4 hours ago, Fraser Fyvie said:

Cormack says he's targeting 15k season ticket holders within 3 years but the new stadium will only hold 16-17k. Makes sense.

Yes , it does actually.  At present , non-ST holders who perhaps go mainly to the bigger games know that they’ll have no trouble getting a ticket for the bigger games. A smaller capacity might make them less sure of getting those tickets thus encouraging them to get a season ticket