The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, BrendanGalloway said:

Is Mcgrath good enough to spend a fee in January to secure earlier or do we just wait till summer? Cant say I know a massive amount about him. Hes not of Hedges mould is he? More a CM? 

We're again back to the question of Ferguson staying or going. 

If he goes in January, make a sensible offer for McGrath. 

If he stays, I don't see the point of bringing McGrath in until the summer. We're loaded with central midfielders. 

46 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

We're again back to the question of Ferguson staying or going. 

If he goes in January, make a sensible offer for McGrath. 

If he stays, I don't see the point of bringing McGrath in until the summer. We're loaded with central midfielders. 

Ferguson has been a good player for us, and for the most part served us well since he arrived.

However, if he really wants to go then I would rather we ship him out asap as long as we get a decent price for him. I don't think having someone with his heart set on leaving is good for squad morale.

That said, I've no idea what a decent price is. He's became a Scotland international since the summer which may have increased his valuation. I still think we should be looking at around £3 million with add-ons (that we never seem to get anyway). I suppose some will think £3 million is far too low but I think it's realistic, something akin to the McKenna sale to Forest...

Edited by Bogbrush1903

On 23/12/2021 at 18:51, Dons_1988 said:

I said at the start of the season I’d accept mid table (5th or 6th) as part of a ‘transition’ season so I’ll stay true to my word. 

I do worry like @Bogbrush1903 that we’re not sitting with a squad that just needs built on, it actually needs a lot of work and probably over a few windows. 

Mid table, with signs of improvement 

… but there really aren’t any. 

He’s out of his depth. 

Surely the four wins from five in December, along with 'grinding out' a couple of narrow wins against relegation-threatened teams without playing particularly well in either of those, is a sign of some improvement?

Don't get me wrong, I didn't think we played well today, but I reckon both St Johnstone and Dundee this month are games we would have failed to win when playing like that until recently.

12 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Surely the four wins from five in December, along with 'grinding out' a couple of narrow wins against relegation-threatened teams without playing particularly well in either of those, is a sign of some improvement?

Don't get me wrong, I didn't think we played well today, but I reckon both St Johnstone and Dundee this month are games we would have failed to win when playing like that until recently.

Absolutely.

A couple of "undeserved" narrow wins against relegation fodder does not show glass has a master plan and we are now on the up. It shows that we are now a team of jobbers batteling to see if we could make top six before the split.

ETA. What a fucking come down.

34 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Mid table, with signs of improvement 

… but there really aren’t any. 

He’s out of his depth. 

I think that’s a little unfair.

We look less fragile at the back (albeit work still to be done, see hibs goal the other night) And that’s allowed us to pick up some results whilst not being at our best. 

Im still not convinced what the plan is in the final third but that could be personnel more than tactics. If he finishes 5th or 6th I’ll stick with him but it wouldn’t be acceptable next season. 

I think that’s a fair position to take.