The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

Our angry twitter brigade have 'moved on' to a new target now it seems.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/8756396/aberdeen-goodwin-sectarian-abuse-dons-fan-******/

Interesting that the weegia tabloid in question choose to use one random post, likely from some wee plooky bare-ankled type lacking in braincells, as a reason to cite that sectarianism isn't just a west coast problem.

Sadly there is plenty of wallopers in our support.

2 hours ago, tarapoa said:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/8756396/aberdeen-goodwin-sectarian-abuse-dons-fan-******/

Interesting that the weegia tabloid in question choose to use one random post, likely from some wee plooky bare-ankled type lacking in braincells, as a reason to cite that sectarianism isn't just a west coast problem.

It is true that sectarianism isn't just a west coast problem. 

It's just that there are fewer practising sectarianists (not sure of the correct word- "c***s" seems insufficient) in the North East and they're shunned by polite society, rather than having the roads closed for them. 

10 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

I wonder what the year will be when Aberdeen fans will stop talking about McInnes 

I still remember Alex Smith being talked about well into the 2000’s so we probably have a fair bit to go :( 

Wont be next season anyway, going to be fun when you play Killie.

7 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

It's funny to see some pining for McInnes when most of the players we've decided are the problem were his signings.

Gallagher (allegedly), Hayes, Lewis, McGeouch, Kennedy and McLennan have either let the side down too often or been a waste of a wage. 

Rather than looking to get some young prospects signed, we'd be looking to the English lower Leagues again.

Derek's gone, move on. 

Hayes is a problem this season?

10 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Thanks - I like odd posts.

Michael Hector would be another example of where it worked well.

I know we don't necessarily have to go down this route, but if we don't, others will. If you get it right, it can be a win-win in terms of having a level of quality you'd never otherwise have, and the club down south benefits from the player getting game time in a league ranked in UEFA's top dozen (apparently).

Hearts seem to have this hotline to massive strikers who are effective in this league - and the guy Simms has clearly made a telling contribution there. 

If we signed the lad Simms instead of Hearts we’d be looking at potential Euro opponents right now, and Glass might even still be in a job.

Our problems are vast, but the margins are very small given how tight the league was.

3 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Hayes hasn't had a good season at left back, bar the odd game.

Looked good when played further forward but that has been a rare occurrence.

Hayes has, overall, been decent this season, and certainly not one of our problems. Certainly wasn’t the case last season, I’ll agree.

14 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

If we signed the lad Simms instead of Hearts we’d be looking at potential Euro opponents right now, and Glass might even still be in a job.

Our problems are vast, but the margins are very small given how tight the league was.

Simms wouldn't have had anything like the same impact at Aberdeen as he has had at Hearts. Our whole team has been ineffective or underperformed whereas Hearts have had players performing to a fairly high standard right through their team

24 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Hayes has, overall, been decent this season, and certainly not one of our problems. Certainly wasn’t the case last season, I’ll agree.

Oh Hayes hadn't previously been a fantastic player for the Dons then he'd get a raw deal, Joey.

1 hour ago, highland_mechanic said:

Simms wouldn't have had anything like the same impact at Aberdeen as he has had at Hearts. Our whole team has been ineffective or underperformed whereas Hearts have had players performing to a fairly high standard right through their team

Wouldn’t have needed to, we were literally a goal or so away from the top 6.

No way an effective second striking option wouldn’t have been of benefit,

Sadly there is plenty of wallopers in our support.
Having been in the Red Shed on Saturday, I can only agree with you both.

A group of young folk booing Livingston taking the knee wasn't the best start. Thereafter turning on the team as soon as we went behind wasn't brilliant. The singing of "you're not fit to wear the shirt" was a bit far for me.

While I like a good Boo myself at full time, during the game, this team are so short of confidence that they need levels of support their performances this season are not deserving of. They're going to need that on Saturday.

I appreciate this season has been absolutely shite, but these younger fans really need to drop the whole angry entitled attitude for the last few games and get right behind this team. We need the positive support to stave off any fears of relegation.

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Hayes has given us some good times and his attitude towards the club is great. However, I would hope to be in a position of only using him sparingly if required next season.

Most players when they get older will lose pace and stamina, but make up for it with improved technique and game intelligence.

Jonny has spent several games of late resembling a puppy chasing a crisp packet in the wind, but does still have a decent engine for a guy who's 35 in a couple of months.

2 hours ago, anotherchance said:

Maybe if you had the likes of Gordon, Kingsley, Halkett, Souttar and McKay to go along with him you would.

12 minutes ago, AJF said:

Maybe if you had the likes of Gordon, Kingsley, Halkett, Souttar and McKay to go along with him you would.

It's the first season in nine they have finished above us, but they have done all the right things required to prevail in this league and grind out the wins.

Solid base, physically strong, get the ball forward early and with tempo, plenty clean sheets  - none of this bollox about expansive open attacking football and philosophies.  

........and for us, the timing stinks as they will play European football until at least christmas - without the hassle of having to surmount some glass ceiling opponent in the latter qualifying rounds.

Despite this, I still am not sure Neilson is a good manager - and hopefully handsome Jim can get these imposters through the next few games and sort our $hit out in the summer.

14 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

It's the first season in nine they have finished above us, but they have done all the right things required to prevail in this league and grind out the wins.

Solid base, physically strong, get the ball forward early and with tempo, plenty clean sheets  - none of this bollox about expansive open attacking football and philosophies.  

........and for us, the timing stinks as they will play European football until at least christmas - without the hassle of having to surmount some glass ceiling opponent in the latter qualifying rounds.

Despite this, I still am not sure Neilson is a good manager - and hopefully handsome Jim can get these imposters through the next few games and sort our $hit out in the summer.

Aye, I'm not convinced Neilson is that great either, I just don't think the claim that the only difference between the teams is Ellis Simms can be considered valid when there are a handful of other players that would walk into this Aberdeen side.

Edited by AJF

2 minutes ago, AJF said:

Aye, I'm not convinced Neilson is that great either, I just don't think the claim that the only difference between the teams is Ellis Simms can be considered valid when there are a handful of other players that would walk into this Aberdeen side.

Not saying that he’s the only difference, I’m saying he’d have made a difference for us - probably making the top 6 and thus looking at Europe again.

Could look at a couple of others who we’d happily take, but the lack of a big and effective striker this season has arguably been the biggest factor in us being unable to change it up when circumstances have required that.

Edited by anotherchance

2 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

Not saying that he’s only difference, I’m saying he’d have made a difference for us - probably making the top 6 and thus looking at Europe again.

Aye that's fair enough, I may have read into something that wasn't actually implied.

Edited by AJF

Bottom of the clean sheets table for league games this season , with 4.

No other teams have less than 7.

Whilst we’re clearly needing improvement throughout the team ,  seems obvious to me that the priority is taking action to stop conceding goals that the opposition don’t really have to work all that hard for.

Edited by A96

50 minutes ago, A96 said:

Bottom of the clean sheets table for league games this season , with 4.

No other teams have less than 7.

Whilst we’re clearly needing improvement throughout the team ,  seems obvious to me that the priority is taking action to stop conceding goals that the opposition don’t really have to work all that hard for.

yep, it’s pretty obvious what has killed our season.

It was obvious in August.