The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

10 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I'm genuinely excited by the prospect of Jay Idezs despite knowing absolutely nothing about the lad.

FWIW

Spoiler

idzes.png.68405aeacad48a42e0e847d82d267e49.png

Looks bad but Eredivisie better than our league in general, and he'll be going from a bottom half side in that division to a top half side in a weaker league.

Very good 1v1 defender it looks like, maybe weak in air but think theres simply less long balls in Holland?

System reckons Ash Taylor and Angus MacDonald are the most similar Aberdeen CBs in style.

A question for the older Dons:

Was it Arsenal that was the fourth team in the four team tournament at Pittodrie where we played West Ham United and Southampton in 1981?

I've just saw that John Hollins died and wondered if he'd ever graced Pittodrie.

He did come on in our 2-1 1980 victory against Arsenal but I had a recollection that I saw a pic of a Arsenal player playing at Pittodrie in that green away strip they had around 1981 to 1983 but we didn't play them during those years unless they were the only team we didn't play in that 1981 four team tournament?

EDIT: Wrong, it was Manchester United

image.jpeg.97d02a69cfeadc832f8d5cfc36a72705.jpeg

Edited by Bogbrush1903

2 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Was it Arsenal that was the fourth team in the four team tournament at Pittodrie where we played West Ham United and Southampton in 1981?

I've just saw that John Hollins died and wondered if he'd ever graced Pittodrie.

He did come on in our 2-1 1980 victory against Arsenal but I had a recollection that I saw a pic of a Arsenal player playing at Pittodrie in that green away strip they had around 1981 to 1983 but we didn't play them during those years unless they were the only team we didn't play in that 1981 four team tournament?

It was Man Utd not Arsenal

2 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I think it was Man Utd 

15 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Was you at the 1980 match?

Spot on. We played Arsenal at the beginning of the season after we won the league in 1980. It was the first match played with the roof on the South Stand, and I seem to remember that it was the only match Clive Allen played for Arsenal. They bought him, he played at Pittodrie, then they sold him.

3 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Spot on. We played Arsenal at the beginning of the season after we won the league in 1980. It was the first match played with the roof on the South Stand, and I seem to remember that it was the only match Clive Allen played for Arsenal. They bought him, he played at Pittodrie, then they sold him.

Hollins was present.Screenshot_20230614-222753_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8cebc12014422091e5f7e6960f0d91b0.jpg

Edited by TommyDickFingers

I can’t recall the year, but John Hollins seemed to be in every second pack of Panini stickers I bought one particular season. RIP 

There was another year it was Wilf Rostron, who was chief ‘swap’.

Looking back, shocking that two of Europe’s top ten ranked clubs in that period only got mini double stickers that fitted on one page, whereas all these jobbers from Stoke and Notts County got full size as part of double page spreads.

10 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

As you say, he came on as a sub - https://afcheritage.org/matches/fixtures/mreport.cfm?fixture_id=5832&season=1980-81&squad=Senior