The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

9 minutes ago, betting competition said:

Beat me by a second! 

What a signing this is, didn't expect him to come as expected Championship teams that pay more than us.  

An incredible signing if we pull this off.

Right under the noses of the cheeks and the 24 Championship clubs who could pay more than us.

A real statement signing who should encourage others to join and stay.

1 minute ago, lubo_blaha said:

Clarkson himself is hinting at it on his own Twitter page, so its 100% done IMO.

13 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Right under the noses of the cheeks and the 24 Championship clubs who could pay more than us.

A real statement signing who should encourage others to join and stay.

I'd argue a season with us and at least 8 games in Europe should see him being looked at by lower prem/series A teams next summer. On his game he sticks out like a sore thumb in red, harder to do that at the cheeks and the 50 man Championship squads.

Then there's Dylan Levitt...

Fair play to the Aberdeen leadership in getting a signing like Clarkson. I'm sure it's a reasonable fee for a Scottish club but at least it's exciting for your fans!

From a neutral perspective I don't exactly want the other teams to get better than mine but it's good to see other clubs attracting players like him and hopefully make the League as competitive as possible! It may persuade others like him to come on loan to other clubs also if they see it as an opportunity to showcase their ability like Maddison did in the past as well.

Aberdeen recruitment and spending of the transfer fees they've raked in seems from the outside anyway to have been done reasonably well! Saints of course don't have that level of money to spend but in recent years have paid fees (100k here 40k there type signings) for a few and they've all been pretty much been absolutely disasters. Three of Davidsons signings totalling about 160k managed about 6 starts between the 3 of them. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

3 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Fair play to the Aberdeen leadership in getting a signing like Clarkson. I'm sure it's a reasonable fee for a Scottish club but at least it's exciting for your fans!

From a neutral perspective I don't exactly want the other clubs to get better and better than mine but it's at least good to see other clubs attracting players like and hopefully make the League as competitive as possible! It may persuade others like him to come on loan to other clubs also if it gives them the chance to show their ability. 

Aberdeen recruitment and spending of the transfer fees they've raked in seems from the outside anyway to have been done reasonably well! Saints of course don't have that level of money to spend but in recent years have paid fees (100k here 40k there type signings) for a few and they've all been pretty much been absolutely disasters. Three of Davidsons signings totalling about 160k managed about 6 starts between the 3 of them. 

We seem to be having a bit more success having moved from the model of 'managers decides who he wants'.

I thought it was crazy when the Saints guy was bumped because Davidson didn't like his signings, while he spunked your budget on players he knew.

42 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

How did he compare to the rest of the league?

Obviously passed the eye test for us.

Looks a right good player and quite a Statement by Aberdeen. Hadn't realised a permanent transfer was even a possibility.

I like the way Aberdeen are going about things when it comes to signings. Not your standard signings and club clearly has good a scouting network in place.

Yes, there will be a few duds to come, but equally if Aberdeen find a few gems (like they have recently) it could make the club some serious serious money as well as enticing others and most importantly creating a very successful team.

9 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

We seem to be having a bit more success having moved from the model of 'managers decides who he wants'.

I thought it was crazy when the Saints guy was bumped because Davidson didn't like his signings, while he spunked your budget on players he knew.

I don't have any inside info or anything so I'm just speculating but I presumed Grieves left on or was moved on because Davidson was just not willing to work with him and back his signing suggestions. He had some more modern ideas on recruitment and I have a feeling Davidson wasn't one for stats or anything along those lines and frankly was more old fashioned and more into the less fact based and more gut feeling type of recruitment. 

We made 3 signings Vertainen, Bair, Mahon for fees which were all disasters, which I presume were from the scout Grieves and they barely kicked a ball and 2 of the 3 are gone. Bair isn't up to it either.

Davidson then signed like you say "guys he knows" a few of them have been a disaster as well. Interestingly big Andy Considine proving a lot of doubters wrong at times this season. Someone deserves the jail for the 3 year deal Crawford was given as well. 

Anyway, didn't mean to takeover the Aberdeen thread with Saints chat. My point though was that at least they've not pissed the money up the wall on shite like Saints!!!!

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

6 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

I don't have any inside info or anything so I'm just speculating but I presumed Grieves left on or was moved on because Davidson was just not willing to work with him and back his signing suggestions. He had some more modern ideas on recruitment and I have a feeling Davidson wasn't one for stats or anything along those lines and frankly was more old fashioned and more into the less fact based and more gut feeling type of recruitment. 

We made 3 signings Vertainen, Bair, Mahon for fees which were all disasters, which I presume were from the scout Grieves and they barely kicked a ball and 2 of the 3 are gone. Bair isn't up to it either.

Davidson then signed like you say "guys he knows" a few of them have been a disaster as well. Interestingly big Andy Considine proving a lot of doubters wrong at times this season. Someone deserves the jail for the 3 year deal Crawford was given as well. 

Anyway, didn't mean to takeover the Aberdeen thread with Saints chat. My point though was that at least they've not pissed the money up the wall on shite like Saints!!!!

A lot of folk said we were mad to get rid of McInnes but when you look at Killie, he's championing Russ Richardson. That was Mcinnes's only real scout. He recommended Cosgrove so deserves a lot of credit but some of his other recommendations were beyond awful.

Other than that, it was guys McInnes knew or players that knew the league. Unfortunately, they often weren't a fit for the system either.

Vertainen looked like he didn't get a fair crack of the whip tbf.