The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Your issue with replacing Scales is that Robson is unlikely to want to sign someone from outside the league for that position. He strikes me as one who'll understand the issues having 2 in there could cause (and i assume Rubezic is seen as a starter?).

Kilmarnock kind of signed all the obvious candidates for LCB in a 3 that i can think of.

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Your issue with replacing Scales is that Robson is unlikely to want to sign someone from outside the league for that position. He strikes me as one who'll understand the issues having 2 in there could cause (and i assume Rubezic is seen as a starter?).

Kilmarnock kind of signed all the obvious candidates for LCB in a 3 that i can think of.

Can you honestly say we should be looking to pay the guts of £1m for Scales though?

That's what they want.

7 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Can you honestly say we should be looking to pay the guts of £1m for Scales though?

That's what they want.

No, but its just an issue youll have i think.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

No, but its just an issue youll have i think.

Seems like a strange hill to die on. Preferable to have a player you know and who knows the league? Of course. 

But to refuse to go outside of the league is a bit odd. I’m not sure I buy it. 

8 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Seems like a strange hill to die on. Preferable to have a player you know and who knows the league? Of course. 

But to refuse to go outside of the league is a bit odd. I’m not sure I buy it. 

I think it ends with you overpaying on Scales, rather than going for someone cheaper, and potentially just as good, from outside the league, and i think thats why its dragging on.

You think £500k, Celtic want £1m, both would accept £750k, both trying to push it either way, Aberdeen willing to wait until the windows ending before making the overpay, Celtic willing to keep Scales if nobody overpays.

If you were willing to sign 2 CBs who have no league experience then that would already have happened.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think it ends with you overpaying on Scales, rather than going for someone cheaper, and potentially just as good, from outside the league, and i think thats why its dragging on.

You think £500k, Celtic want £1m, both would accept £750k, both trying to push it either way, Aberdeen willing to wait until the windows ending before making the overpay, Celtic willing to keep Scales if nobody overpays.

If you were willing to sign 2 CBs who have no league experience then that would already have happened.

Celtic allegedly after £750k.

There will be full outrage if the club pays that.

How did he look on your charts last season?

Edited by DukDukGoose

1 hour ago, DukDukGoose said:

I’d be inclined to take him for that. 

We know he can play well on the left of a three in our system and he can bring the ball forward which none of our other centre backs are particularly comfortable doing.

It is steep but left footed players who can slot into our team like that will be like hen’s teeth, especially on our budget. 

If we have a cheaper and just as good alternative lined up then by all means go for him but if not, I think we need to bite the bullet and stump up.

There's been a couple of windows of opportunity opened for Barry Robson over the last couple of weeks.

Firstly, in relative terms, that Europa League Play-Off draw was very kind to us (as it was for BK Hacken). I think, as long as we don't get smashed from pillar to post in every match of the group stages à la Sevco last seson in the Champions League, then most level-headed fans would see qualification for group stages of Europa League as a step in the right direction even if results aren't exactly favourable.

Now the elephant in the room has been knocked out of the League Cup, and two forms sides in Killie and Hearts have been paired against each other.

And if we were going to recevie an away tie, then Dingwall would've been the choice for most fans from the teams left in the competition.

Everyone left in the competiton, aside from Livingston, who are the makeweights sent to Ibrox this time to allow the home side a smooth journey through to the semis, every team will see this as an ideal opportunity to at least reach the League Cup Final.

These opportunites though bring danger for Barry Robson I think.

Any perceived failure to capatilise on these opportunities, along with the problematic recruitment drive this summer, could see the fans turn on him.

Whether the recruitment issues as been his fault or not, the fans don't really want to hear him saying, as he did post-match against Stirling Albion, that if we don't get the players we need now then we'll wait until January.

I think, for many, that'll seem like an opportunity lost for a season that has promised so much and with expectation amongst supporters higher than it's been for a considerable period of time.

Aside from the fact that we're always told that the January window is notoriously difficult to recruit.

The Scales situation needs put to bed one way or the other. Maybe it has been already; however, if that had been the case, then we should've added a left-sided centre back to the books by now.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

46 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

We know he can play well on the left of a three in our system and he can bring the ball forward which none of our other centre backs are particularly comfortable doing.

It is steep but left footed players who can slot into our team like that will be like hen’s teeth, especially on our budget. 

If we have a cheaper and just as good alternative lined up then by all means go for him but if not, I think we need to bite the bullet and stump up.

£750k for Scales?!

Maybe in possibly achievable add ons. No way as a flat fee or even on tic.

1 hour ago, lubo_blaha said:

If that’s where we find ourselves then it is genuine madness from the club. If it weren’t for this European money we wouldn’t dream of spending that on him. 

1 hour ago, Rodhull said:

https://x.com/cormackdavie/status/1693314754943566173?s=61

Cormack saying we’re close on 2 or 3 signings with another one possible.

I'm not knocking him for communicating but the "And let’s be thankful Barry and his team pulled off an incredible end to the season where we have European football until December " might've been phrased as 'European football until at least December' or something similar. 

It would show a bit of belief in the players and manager.

It's probably a bit picky but sometimes how you say or type things can be quite revealing.

Actually, in addition, being in the quarter-final of the League Cup should be a given too especially since the rounds before are seeded so DC's afterthought at the end would've been better left unsaid.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

3 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

Great, as always.

scales.thumb.png.d4a929baa6a6cc724747181b3c978b3c.png

Ground score high due to high possession adjusted def duel win % + high possession adjusted interceptions + low amount of fouls conceded.

Is £750k an overpay? Probably.

Are you finding a 24yo LCB who you know is good enough for the level, who fits your system perfectly, who slots into the team perfectly, and who can only improve, for less than that? Probably not.

Left footed ball playing CBs are incredibly in demand. The idea theres experienced ones in their 20s floating about for less than half a million is a bit fantastical. If you want to progress as a club you'll have to get comfortable paying large fees when its necessary instead of accepting lesser players.