The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Liam McLeod mentioned on Sportsound that he understands that Gueye will not be the last bit of incoming transfer business at AFC this window.

Clear today that more midfield bite will be required - too much on Shinnie’s shoulders in the engine room and he will struggle with two games a week.

Polvara looked out of his depth today, and ended the charade that he’s any more than a very peripheral squad option.

3 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

I'm really hoping he's read them the riot act and this is a public backing, Fergie style.

Screenshot_20230827-175835.png

Are you looking at the headline or his admission that the players were off the pace?

20 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

The last two paragraphs are what I'm referring to.

From Robson and Shinnie's interviews on redtv after the game, they know we were pish.

I would definitely be spending some money on a midfielder before getting another striker in.  Also surprised that Sokler didn't start, or come on, after how much Robson has been praising him.  Duk doesn't seem very sharp.

Today was the first point gained from a losing position since mid March 2022 (the Hibs home game where Vinnie scored a screamer).

In fact Thursday night was the first match that comes into the category of not losing when going behind since that match - it didn’t happen all last season despite the 3rd place finish.

3 hours ago, O_Kahn said:

From Robson and Shinnie's interviews on redtv after the game, they know we were pish.

I would definitely be spending some money on a midfielder before getting another striker in.  Also surprised that Sokler didn't start, or come on, after how much Robson has been praising him.  Duk doesn't seem very sharp.

We MUST sign a midfielder.

We desperately need it.

To be honest we need two, but doubt we have the budget. 

If offloading Stewart, Besuijen & Milne helps us get two, great. 

34 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

It's still early days for him and nobody was good, but Rubezic's performance today was a bit too Dave Bus for my liking. 

Aye, he’s looking very iffy. 

Hopefully Williams gets up to speed asap. 

IF Robson insists on persisting with 3 at the back, Williams, MacDonald & Jensen might be the best 3. 

Not writing off Ruzebic, but my first impressions are not good. 

3 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Today was the first point gained from a losing position since mid March 2022 (the Hibs home game where Vinnie scored a screamer).

In fact Thursday night was the first match that comes into the category of not losing when going behind since that match - it didn’t happen all last season despite the 3rd place finish.

Excellent positivity. 

10 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Had them since he was appointed full-time if I’m honest. 

For various reasons 

Those doubts aren’t dissipating. 

I know f**k all about how Aberdeen are doing but I just watched Robson's post match interview and I thought to myself he sounds every inch a decent manager. He also looks like he could go completely tonto if players let him down. Think you need to give him a bit more time before folks start sharpening the knives. Easy to say when it's not your team of course.

10 hours ago, DrewDon said:

It's still early days for him and nobody was good, but Rubezic's performance today was a bit too Dave Bus for my liking. 

Possibly - but then would Rubezic deserve to be singled-out over MacDonald, who also had a dreadful match?

Lots of 'work-in-progress' there and hopefully it settles down in the coming weeks (starting on Thursday night).

Edited by tarapoa

10 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

I know f**k all about how Aberdeen are doing but I just watched Robson's post match interview and I thought to myself he sounds every inch a decent manager. He also looks like he could go completely tonto if players let him down. Think you need to give him a bit more time before folks start sharpening the knives. Easy to say when it's not your team of course.

It’s way too early for knives out obviously. 

But it’s natural to be identifying issues as they arise and there is a wee bit of a pattern developing in certain games. 

Challenges for him to overcome that he’ll live or die by. I’m sure he’ll say, with some justification, that we’re into an intense period of games with half the squad either injured, not recruited or not up to speed. It is a hindrance but unfortunately he’s just got to navigate it. 

The performance yesterday though was beyond lacklustre. 

I think Rubezic looks okay, rough round the edges but potentially good.  I though he did well after getting an early yellow in Sweden, better than Hammer anyway.

Still would rather have had Pollock back but maybe that was never an option financially, and I suppose we couldn't wait til 31st August for Watford to decide.

Rubezic did well on Thursday. I don’t know much about Serbian football but I think yesterday may have been a shock to the system. St Mirren we’re pretty relentless in just pounding our area with crosses and balls in. Doubt he’ll be used to that.

He is terrible with the ball at his feet though so he just needs to keep it simple. I actually burst out laughing towards the end yesterday when he tried to take the ball out and took the heaviest touch under no pressure and gave the ball away 😆

This season Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen have failed to win a Scottish Premier League game after a European game. The 3 teams don't have big enough squads to cope with the demands of Thursday/Sunday, so with that I'm really concerned about how much extra games will hurt our qualifying for Europe campaign.

Edited by betting competition

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Rubezic did well on Thursday. I don’t know much about Serbian football but I think yesterday may have been a shock to the system. St Mirren we’re pretty relentless in just pounding our area with crosses and balls in. Doubt he’ll be used to that.

He is terrible with the ball at his feet though so he just needs to keep it simple. I actually burst out laughing towards the end yesterday when he tried to take the ball out and took the heaviest touch under no pressure and gave the ball away 😆

That and his foul throw.