The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

29 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Dinna.

After the weekend we've had, I don't think I could take us upsetting Motherwell.

I mean, we have a sell on for him so if Cormack's going to chuck however many million Luton want for him then crack on. :)

(There's a post on Luton's forum suggesting he's away to Leeds btw)

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

We need one midfielder. Can't think of what position the 2nd potential player might be. Unless we have plans to move out Polvara and Barron and get 2 midfielders but can't see Barron leaving due to Uefa squad numbers. Maybe a utility player that can cover numerous positions?

I'd argue we need two midfielders.

Still early days but I'm just not convinced Polvara is suited for the Scottish game or Robson's tactics, I'm really not fussed if Barron leaves and I'm skeptical as to whether Shinnie has the legs to perform twice a week. We certainly need some height in the middle and some added presence.

1 minute ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I'd argue we need two midfielders.

Still early days but I'm just not convinced Polvara is suited for the Scottish game or Robson's tactics, I'm really not fussed if Barron leaves and I'm skeptical as to whether Shinnie has the legs to perform twice a week. We certainly need some height in the middle and some added presence.

100% agree.

Think we need a couple of hard working, box to box types that can share the burden with Shinnie, who should be used far more sparingly. 

Polvara should be a squad player & Barron is too slow & too lightweight. 

1 hour ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

Whats the script with Williams? Seems strange that he played 90 mins for a B side a couple of weeks ago but hasn't been since in any match day squads? I think if we were to bring in a centre back we'd have to ship out Stewart and probably Milne on loan aswell.

Rumours aplenty.

Can we cancel his loan & re-loan Pollock?

On 28/08/2023 at 10:58, Highloon said:

He was incredibly poor and looked really low in confidence / out of his depth. 

I see Lecce attempted to hijack the Aberdeen deal to sign Rubezic. There must be something about him.

Was my MOTM against Livingston, I thought he did well in spells against both Hacken and Celtic and like everyone in the team he had an undoubtedly poor game against St Mirren.

He's just a young lad who needs time to become accustomed with the Scottish game/culture. He's definitely got the physical attributes and I'm sure he'll improve under Agnew and Robson's guidance. Like Duk, raw talent that just needs honed.

Edited by HarleyQuinn

10 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Rumours aplenty.

Can we cancel his loan & re-loan Pollock?

There's definitely something off with the Williams situation. I've seen rumours of his attitude being an issue. If that is the case I'm surprised we haven't binned him already. We must be able to cancel it if we have concerns regarding that. Even if we did, I can't see Pollock becoming available. Is he not their only backup centre half? 

I'd be happy if we can get 2 midfielders in. I just don't see it. I don't think Robson/Cormack will want to write off Polvara.

39 minutes ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

There's definitely something off with the Williams situation. I've seen rumours of his attitude being an issue. If that is the case I'm surprised we haven't binned him already. We must be able to cancel it if we have concerns regarding that. Even if we did, I can't see Pollock becoming available. Is he not their only backup centre half? 

I'd be happy if we can get 2 midfielders in. I just don't see it. I don't think Robson/Cormack will want to write off Polvara.

Injury or attitude would hopefully give us an opportunity to send Williams back by mutual consent. But if he is just sh1te, then we might be contractually on the hook. The squad is too small to carry passengers.

We definitely need quality midfielders - there's just not enough grit and guile between Clarkson, Polvara, Barron, Duncan (I will exclude McGrath from this until I have seen more of him). We are asking a hellavah lot of a 32 year old Shinnie who will inevitably pick up at least one suspension through the season.

Polvara ticks the physical attributes boxes. He has some potential (we have seen the odd glimmer of talent), but I don't think he is good enough on or off the ball to be a midfield mainstay. Yet he has started every competitive game so far this season.

54 minutes ago, bpdon said:

Injury or attitude would hopefully give us an opportunity to send Williams back by mutual consent. But if he is just sh1te, then we might be contractually on the hook. The squad is too small to carry passengers.

We definitely need quality midfielders - there's just not enough grit and guile between Clarkson, Polvara, Barron, Duncan (I will exclude McGrath from this until I have seen more of him). We are asking a hellavah lot of a 32 year old Shinnie who will inevitably pick up at least one suspension through the season.

Polvara ticks the physical attributes boxes. He has some potential (we have seen the odd glimmer of talent), but I don't think he is good enough on or off the ball to be a midfield mainstay. Yet he has started every competitive game so far this season.

Polvara definitely isn't as bad as made out but I agree I don't think he'll ever be at the stage where we can rely on him week in, week out.

In this system, Duncan probably needs to play through the middle. I'd be looking to loan him to a team where he can play out wide. We might move back to that system in future and he's going to need minutes.

On 28/08/2023 at 09:34, betting competition said:

This season Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen have failed to win a Scottish Premier League game after a European game. The 3 teams don't have big enough squads to cope with the demands of Thursday/Sunday, so with that I'm really concerned about how much extra games will hurt our qualifying for Europe campaign.

I'm already thinking a 5 point gap to 3rd at the turn of the year would be a good result (and a recoverable position)

Said it on the hacken thread I think, polvara reminds me of funso ojo and that time under Stephen glass. 

I think he understands what robson is trying to do and his press is pretty good (we’ve seen him win balls high up the pitch a few times this season, off top of my head can think of incidents at livi, Celtic and hacken). 

Funso could do this but, like funso, polvara doesn’t have the quality, composure or decision making to make it count. Not yet at least. 

37 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Said it on the hacken thread I think, polvara reminds me of funso ojo and that time under Stephen glass. 

I think he understands what robson is trying to do and his press is pretty good (we’ve seen him win balls high up the pitch a few times this season, off top of my head can think of incidents at livi, Celtic and hacken). 

Funso could do this but, like funso, polvara doesn’t have the quality, composure or decision making to make it count. Not yet at least. 

I think he has the quality potentially. It's really the composure and bottle that's lacking imo. Having a nice touch and decent pass is worth f**k all in this league without a bit of swagger. 

Sunderland have apparently rejected £4mil for Ross Stewart from Southampton and are going in with an improved offer of £6mil + £1.5mil add one. He only has a year left on his contract.

Shows that they have cash to splash if they’re interested in Miovski.

52 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Evening Express reporting we are looking to sign Jeff Hendrick on loan from Newcastle.

Plenty of experience - in the top 20 of all time most RoI caps. His career seems to have tapered off in recent years 

He might still have something to offer. Although I did see a blog describing him as a Gary McDonald “ghost” 😬

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Evening Express reporting we are looking to sign Jeff Hendrick on loan from Newcastle.

45 games u the Championship last season. However with Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday and WBA all apparently after him and on a permanent rather than the loan we'd want then it's hard to imagine in what situation he pitches up here. 

Scott Burns reporting we are in advanced talks with a few players and Hendrick will likely choose an English Championship side over us if presented the opportunity.

He also said of Allan Campbell that "will not be Happening".

Also forget about Mattie Pollock signing as he "is not an active option".