The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

There has been a bit of revisionism over the last twenty-four hours about what type of player Ramadani was for us, but it does feel like the 'hard work' burden is now falling squarely on Shinnie.

Ramadani at least could support Shinnie with that, and to be fair Clarkson took more of it on his shoulders when Robson became manager, but it does feel like the balance in midfield might be a bit off, especially against better teams.

Month or two ago posting about what we'd like to see for the transfer window, I posted I'd like essentially two teams, i.e. two players for every position, and then if possible to flesh out a 30ish man squad with senior backups and laddies. While I'm not going to call people out (mainly because I can't be arsed looking), I certainly had some comments of the "Stop playing FM" ilk. Currently I make it:

GK:

Roos, Doohan, Ritchie

CB:

MacDonald, Jensen, Rubezic, Gartenmann, MacKenzie, Williams, Milne.

RWB:

Devlin, Morris (f**k knows why he keeps getting played), Dadia (does he exist)

LWB:

McGarry, Hayes, Duncan (no idea why he keeps getting played here)

CM/AM:

Shinnie, Clarkson, McGrath, Polvara, Barron, Besuijen, Marshall

CF:

Miovski, Duk, Sokler, Gueye, Bavidge

...Which is 28 players, and at least one senior backup for every position. Given we all feel that we're a bit light in midfield, having a Ramadani replacement, and another backup would feel more comfortable.

I'm not one to expect overt displays of contrition...

north korea GIF

but apologies from those concerned will be met with the utmost of grace. 😉

12 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Apparently Scott Burns says we may hear news tomorrow.

I'm disappointed we didn't sign a midfield replacement for Ramadani but I thinks it's been a decent window overall.

The jury is out on a few signings but to bring in 13 players mostly on six figure permanent deals is impressive. We’ve certainly backed Robson and reinvested the European/McCrorie/Ramadani money and hopefully it’ll put us in a position where we don’t need to rip it up and start again every summer. We’re definitely one CM light though.

35 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

I keep forgetting that we still have Connor Barron on the books - and he was apparently wanted by Celtic and Genk after being the best player on the park for Scotland U21s vs Belgium.

Is Barron the defensive midfield cover option, as Polvara was back to looking a fish out of water at Paisley? 

Barron is not the answer. 
Absolutely not 

17 minutes ago, GTG_03 said:

Crying out for another centre mid to take the pressure off Shinnie. Don't know what's happening with Barron but if he's good enough; get him playing games regardless of his contract situation.

Looks ike 3 at the back is here to stay 😫

That’s the thing, Barron isn’t good enough.

Gets shrugged off the ball as he’s so small & he’s not got any pace either. 

11 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

Month or two ago posting about what we'd like to see for the transfer window, I posted I'd like essentially two teams, i.e. two players for every position, and then if possible to flesh out a 30ish man squad with senior backups and laddies. While I'm not going to call people out (mainly because I can't be arsed looking), I certainly had some comments of the "Stop playing FM" ilk. Currently I make it:

GK:

Roos, Doohan, Ritchie

CB:

MacDonald, Jensen, Rubezic, Gartenmann, MacKenzie, Williams, Milne.

RWB:

Devlin, Morris (f**k knows why he keeps getting played), Dadia (does he exist)

LWB:

McGarry, Hayes, Duncan (no idea why he keeps getting played here)

CM/AM:

Shinnie, Clarkson, McGrath, Polvara, Barron, Besuijen, Marshall

CF:

Miovski, Duk, Sokler, Gueye, Bavidge

...Which is 28 players, and at least one senior backup for every position. Given we all feel that we're a bit light in midfield, having a Ramadani replacement, and another backup would feel more comfortable.

CM aside, that’s about as strong/stacked as we could have hoped for a few weeks ago. Given Devlin can cover CB and MacKenzie LWB (at a push), we certainly have plenty of defensive options come the inevitable injuries and Rubezic suspensions (I can’t recall if Dadia can also cover CB?).

Hopefully now we can see a bit of consistency in terms of players being selected in their actual positions (Devlin).

Edited by AngusTheBull

Just now, AngusTheBull said:

CM aside, that’s about as strong/stacked as we could have hoped for a few weeks ago. Given Devlin can cover CB and MacKenzie LWB (at a push), we certainly have plenty of defensive options come the inevitable injuries and Rubezic suspensions (I can’t recall if Dadia can also cover CB?).

Agreed, I'd just like to see our manager use players in their appropriate positions. There's not a doubt in my mind that we would have beaten Hacken had we played Devlin at RWB, and an actual centre back at centre back...be that MacDonald, Milne, or Williams. All three of their goals came from stretching the right side of our defence.

12 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

Agreed, I'd just like to see our manager use players in their appropriate positions. There's not a doubt in my mind that we would have beaten Hacken had we played Devlin at RWB, and an actual centre back at centre back...be that MacDonald, Milne, or Williams. All three of their goals came from stretching the right side of our defence.

Having Sadiq on the RW won them the tie, it meant Devlin was fully preoccupied by him with Morris’s lack of defensive awareness/tracking back creating space and opportunities for their other players. Even then, we still had the chances to win the game.

Just read Robson’s comments that Gartenmann can play and has played RB and RCB.

4 minutes ago, AngusTheBull said:

Having Sadiq on the RW won them the tie, it meant Devlin was fully preoccupied by him with Morris’s lack of defensive awareness/tracking back creating space and opportunities for their other players. Even then, we still had the chances to win the game.

Just read Robson’s comments that Gartenmann can play and has played RB and RCB.

Absolutely, no-one's fault but our own. Duk scores the gift in the first leg, we're 3-2 up. Miovski scores the one-on-one last night...we're level with the momentum in our favour.

So we have a strong squad, with plenty options for rotation. So why aren't we seeing rotation? Miovski and Duk have been poor...where's Sokler? Dadia...must be absolute shite if Morris is playing?

38 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Brilliant business - A £500k asset going for f**k all in a few months 😆

I think it's fair to say if Aberdeen were willing to part with £500k for him, we'd have played ball and he'd be an Aberdeen player by now.

So in that sense, it's brilliant business to not let a player leave for a club in the same division for less than he's worth. Baccus will have a pick of clubs in England sniffing in January for a PCA. We'll have certainly got our value out of him by then if he has another good season.