The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

The biggest issue is we are descending into either 1- immense tactical naivety or 2- immense stubbornness to stick to a formation that clearly isn’t working because he cares more about proving this is right than finding something that works.

I have posted before that we have a huge issue that we have recruited almost exclusively to play this nonsense formation that Robson is obsessed with which is on Burrows etc as well.

This is a counter attacking formation which is why it has worked against rangers and PAOK and Frankfurt (not Celtic but an outlier) but as soon as we have to show any initiative in the game or press high it doesn’t work. It’s embarrassing playing against other teams in our league and our centre mids pick up the ball and only have a straight pass into the strikers or backwards. The resource that’s been put into this team we shouldn’t be setting up to counter attack against non old firm teams with three centre backs on the pitch. 

4 hours ago, Don exotic said:

I know it messes with his preferred formation, but would it not be worth playing four at the back so Angus Macdonald can cover Ruby’s blunders? We need some brains as well as the brawn. It’s costing us too many games.

I think that’s the last combination I’d try in a back four. The two cb’s with the least pace and worst passing ability. 

No idea if it has been mentioned on previous pages but if you look into the fixtures we've had so far.

•Only 5 home games out of 13

•Played the current top 5 in 8 games out of 13

I think people will have alluded to it but we have a very favourable run of league fixtures now. Having said that, we've really struggled to break teams down that we would deem to be better than. 

7 league games left until the break (I think), we should really be looking at 12+ points from that. 

I’m not totally averse to giving him December. 

I have my feelings on where this is going but I think it’s relatively fair to allow him a run of games relatively free from Europe, travel etc. I don’t really believe in Barry robson but I do acknowledge that there’s been challenging circumstances. 

But I’ve said a couple of times, he’s running out of hiding places and if he can’t put together a run of results this month then he’s out of time. 

10 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

What about 2? 😀

We have Killie, Hearts, Livi & Motherwell.

Losing two of them (& assuming he doesn’t win the cup) & surely he’d be gone 

If he wins two I would expect him to stay. The club won't want to sack manager in December or early January as new manager won't be able to assess squad in time with the transfer window 

4 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

What about 2? 😀

We have Killie, Hearts, Livi & Motherwell.

Losing two of them (& assuming he doesn’t win the cup) & surely he’d be gone 

You're like a dog with a bone. You're probably right. But, like a broken record, as you are as well, he deserves the chance to get it right in December. 

29 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Slightly surprised the Clyde game is being televised. BBC obviously hoping for another upset.

The BBC would have wanted the plum tie of the round, the battle of the green and white hoops, but Viaplay beat them to it.

Just checked fixture list and surprisingly no game coming up against the cheeks.

Seriously wondered given the pish the weegie media are running with this morning, suggesting both halves are lining up a move for Bojan.

One can't afford him, the other despite allegedly having £70m in the bank won't pay our asking price which is more than £4.4m Scottish record between clubs.

If as rumoured we turned down £6m before the close of the summer window then you need to be starting north of that.

We all know he is going to be sold, but given he has 30 months remaining on his contract we're not selling cheaply and personally think it is more likely to be summer 2024 in my opinion

Edited by Sheep62

55 minutes ago, Sheep62 said:

Just checked fixture list and surprisingly no game coming up against the cheeks.

Seriously wondered given the pish the weegie media are running with this morning, suggesting both halves are lining up a move for Bojan.

One can't afford him, the other despite allegedly having £70m in the bank won't pay our asking price which is more than £4.4m Scottish record between clubs.

If as rumoured we turned down £6m before the close of the summer window then you need to be starting north of that.

We all know he is going to be sold, but given he has 30 months remaining on his contract we're not selling cheaply and personally think it is more likely to be summer 2024 in my opinion

Bojan is destined for better things than Celtic & the SPFL.

England or Italy.

And Celtic will not pay what we demand.   

3 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Barron ended up at Celtic, unfortunately. It's a no-brainer for them.

Yeah if they end up letting someone like Turnbull leave he’s a cheap pickup to sit on their bench as a backup and obviously helps with the Scottish quota for European squads.

2 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Bojan is destined for better things than Celtic & the SPFL.

England or Italy.

And Celtic will not pay what we demand.   

Exactly - lazy weegia reporting.

The days when the better players from ourselves, Hearts and Hibs go there are probably over - unless the players contracts are expiring (e.g. Rat I, Rat II and potentially Barron).  Unless there is some sell-on clause tripped, I would presume that we could comfortably hold out for much more than a cheek would be willing to offer for Miovski.

Likewise, the days when ourselves/Hearts/Hibs can snap up the best players from the 'smaller' top flight clubs are mainly over too.   Again, unless they are Devlin-style free transfers - we just won't pay the fees.

It's a big world these days and we're right to be fishing in wider ponds.............or we could get Derek back of course, and re-sign Gary Mackay-Steven.

Edited by tarapoa