The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

3 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Deary me.

Derek used to approach it a similar way but had the sense not to gush over them like JC.

Most will disagree but I think Stephen Glass would do well with this squad.

Glass who finished with 1 win in 9 games / 4 defeats in 5?

Some odd revisionism re Glass from some in my opinion.

While we undoubtedly had a "style"'it didn't work. Loads of sterile possession across the back 4 and nothing really created.

Each to their own but Glass wasnt great at all

Edited by afc_blockhead

Just now, afc_blockhead said:

Glass who finishes with 1 win in 9 games / 4 defeats in 5?

Some odd revisionism re Glass from some in my opinion.

While we undoubtedly had a "style"'it didn't work. Loads of sterile possession across the back 4 and nothing really created.

Each to their own but Glass wasnt great at all

Glass had the dregs of a McInnes hoofball squad and tried to play football. Gallagher was also a McInnes pre-contract signing.

Robson is playing hoofball with a squad full of talented players.

Glass had us set up to play the cheeks in a much more positive and entertaining fashion and didn't get the run of the green.

1 minute ago, DukDukGoose said:

Glass had the dregs of a McInnes hoofball squad and tried to play football. Gallagher was also a McInnes pre-contract signing.

Robson is playing hoofball with a squad full of talented players.

Glass had us set up to play the cheeks in a much more positive and entertaining fashion and didn't get the run of the green.

I agree on what he took over.

Robson to  be fair took over a Goodwin shambles that had just lost in the cup and 11 goals in 2 games in Edinburgh!

I agree Glass had us set up to play the cheeks in a more positive way. Robson has beaten the **** twice though hasnt he..

Like Robson Glass's style was shite against the dross of the league 

1 hour ago, afc_blockhead said:

I agree on what he took over.

Robson to  be fair took over a Goodwin shambles that had just lost in the cup and 11 goals in 2 games in Edinburgh!

I agree Glass had us set up to play the cheeks in a more positive way. Robson has beaten the **** twice though hasnt he..

Like Robson Glass's style was shite against the dross of the league 

I'm talking about the squad we have though. What we have would be ideal for how he wanted to play.

Barry has to go IMO.

We now have to find a way to achieve a good points total from Livingston, Dundee, Motherwell, St Mirren and Ross County in quick succession. I am definitely generalising a touch, but they all feel like games where we are likely to have a decent share of possession and unlikely to have as many opportunities to play in transition and over the top.

To be fair to Robson, he seems to have a very clear idea of how he wants his Aberdeen team to play, but I'm yet to see much if any evidence from him that he can adapt it to the type of games we have between now and 2nd January. 

The games up until the break are huge. We need to come out and look to win them rather than play 5 defenders and 2 sitting midfielders. I fear, that will be the formation and I fear that we won't win many. Its very easy to defend against and most of our opposition, will set up in a similar way to how Killie did and they got a result. How Hearts lost to us is a mystery. How we won against Frankfurt, likewise. 

4 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

The games up until the break are huge. We need to come out and look to win them rather than play 5 defenders and 2 sitting midfielders. I fear, that will be the formation and I fear that we won't win many. Its very easy to defend against and most of our opposition, will set up in a similar way to how Killie did and they got a result. How Hearts lost to us is a mystery. How we won against Frankfurt, likewise. 

Naismith over thought it. We came out battling and took them by surprise.

Also, for all the clamour for McGarry from sections of support, watching him at today's goal is painful. He really doesn't seem to be much of a defender at all. Hayes clearly isn't the answer going forward and some of his work in possession is really poor, but at least he did a decent job in limiting Tavernier's effectiveness in his time on the park. Polvara's lazy leg against Barisic, when he had only been on the park a few minutes, infuriated me too. 

1 minute ago, DrewDon said:

Also, for all the clamour for McGarry from sections of support, watching him at today's goal is painful. He really doesn't seem to be much of a defender at all. Hayes clearly isn't the answer going forward and some of his work in possession is really poor, but at least he did a decent job in limiting Tavernier's effectiveness in his time on the park. Polvara's lazy leg against Barisic, when he had only been on the park a few minutes, infuriated me too. 

MacKenzie the best of the three for me but limited going forward in a back 5.

35 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

We now have to find a way to achieve a good points total from Livingston, Dundee, Motherwell, St Mirren and Ross County in quick succession. I am definitely generalising a touch, but they all feel like games where we are likely to have a decent share of possession and unlikely to have as many opportunities to play in transition and over the top.

To be fair to Robson, he seems to have a very clear idea of how he wants his Aberdeen team to play, but I'm yet to see much if any evidence from him that he can adapt it to the type of games we have between now and 2nd January. 

“Very clear idea of how he wants his team to play”

In summary;

To have the lowest shots on target per game in the league?  

To concede close to 2 goals per game?

To relentlessly horse long balls aimlessly up the pitch?

There will be no progression if we keep him. 

27 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

“Very clear idea of how he wants his team to play”

In summary;

To have the lowest shots on target per game in the league?  

To concede close to 2 goals per game?

To relentlessly horse long balls aimlessly up the pitch?

There will be no progression if we keep him. 

At least against 'better' opposition, the blueprint is very clear for the most part: it is to be regimented out of possession, often settling into a mid-block or a low-block, and to be fast and direct in transitions and on counter-attacks. That's not to say it is always effective or without some very obvious limitations. 

Edited by DrewDon

1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

At least against 'better' opposition, the blueprint is very clear for the most part: it is to be regimented out of possession, often settling into a mid-block or a low-block, and to be fast and direct in transitions and on counter-attacks. That's not to say it is always effective or without some very obvious limitations. 

I didn't see better opposition today, they were as bad as us, and their fans were nervous...the first goal was going to be crucial but it looked like Robson wanted to nick it either with a set-piece goal or penalties. 

I can no longer suffer him, we need someone that has a better plan that kicking it over the top.

But nothing is going to happen anytime soon, we're going to continue to stutter along but Robson is going to need new excuses soon with Europe and the League Cup curtains.

Edited by Bogbrush1903