The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

19 hours ago, Rodhull said:

Seemingly this boy Sivert Heltne Nilsen is on his way. Current Brann captain. Reported heavily in Norway (according to twitter at least). Defensive mid. 32 so not the usual sell on type signing we've been making

edit: Played for Thelin previously and Burns is reporting it now too. Just down to the medical.

d13cd9dd-92e1-4999-8c99-fa4fae38ba4f.jpg

A lot of footballers these days think they’re too cool to smile so it’s quite refreshing to see a new signing with a big cheesy grin on his face. 

That said, it’s probably just the look of a man who’s managed to secure a three year deal at the age of 32.

IMG_2783.thumb.jpeg.9340810838d1dfbf1bbee5a2cddbe3c3.jpeg

Just now, lubo_blaha said:

A lot of footballers these days think they’re too cool to smile so it’s quite refreshing to see a new signing with a big cheesy grin on his face. 

That said, it’s probably just the look of a man who’s managed to secure a three year deal at the age of 32.

IMG_2783.thumb.jpeg.9340810838d1dfbf1bbee5a2cddbe3c3.jpeg

f**k sake

That's a blow for the boy. I'm not as convinced as some others that he is the solution to all our woes and suddenly going to become one of the best players in the league, but he was showing signs of growth last season and at least establishing himself as a useful squad player.

Nilsen might offset it somewhat, but we lacked size last season and Polvara at least has a bit of that, even if he hasn't always used it particularly well to date.

Just now, betting competition said:

I assume Hoilett won't be signing with us at this time and might be seeking the most favorable offer available.

Isn’t he injured just now? Not that he might not be looking elsewhere anyway but I’m sure I read the injury he picked up with Canada would mean he’d miss the start of the season? If true maybe that put the club off?

I’m a bit concerned about how our squad is looking. Early days yet, but I think we’re short of quality in a few positions and it seems like we’re going into the league cup groups cold. It’s unlikely that we’ll have Miovski to dig us out this year, although we’re maybe waiting on him going before loosening the purse strings. Hopefully Thelin can get more out of what we have than previous managers have done. 

As good as the end of last season was under Leven, I do hope it hasn't lured those inside the club into a false sense of security.

I agree with the above that we look short in a number of positions. Barron and Hoilett were arguably the two most important players in turning us around under Leven - and I still think the defence looks suspect, even with by all accounts a good goalkeeper behind them. 

52 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

I’m a bit concerned about how our squad is looking. Early days yet, but I think we’re short of quality in a few positions and it seems like we’re going into the league cup groups cold. It’s unlikely that we’ll have Miovski to dig us out this year, although we’re maybe waiting on him going before loosening the purse strings. Hopefully Thelin can get more out of what we have than previous managers have done. 

Agree with this one. Even lower league teams have had 4/5 friendlies under their. Belt prior to this weekends start of the season. Yes I know it’s hard to attract teams that we can challenge for friendlies when some still away for pre season but we could have even asked banks o Dee and cove for games. Would have attracted a good crowd for these teams. Local and both have been quite active preseason.

id have liked to have a couple more in the door before Saturday game hoping we have enough to get through these first two games with what we got. Airdrie will be the toughest game out the 3 so hopefully more bodies in by then. Always a case of quality over quantity. Do wonder if the scouting abroad is causing the red tape to get players in sooner. 

Too early to panic. Any resolution with miovski will see us get moving on the buying side. I doubt the club think the squad is fine as it is. 

It’s not ideal but we’ll need to let the window play out. 

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Too early to panic. Any resolution with miovski will see us get moving on the buying side. I doubt the club think the squad is fine as it is. 

It’s not ideal but we’ll need to let the window play out. 

Agree with this and others above. Club seems to be taking a (relatively small) gamble on having enough to get us through the groups with the squad as it is. We're likely waiting on Bojan and (to a lesser extent) Duk money coming in, or if it doesn't materialise, adjusting accordingly. It's not ideal but understandable - I'll be far more concerned if we get into August and the Miovski situation isn't resolved. 

Either way, I'm not expecting the number of new players we've seen the last couple of summers.