The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

4 hours ago, Flammable sheep said:

image.thumb.png.69d48a0a7531a023088adef3368130b4.png

Covered in every position now. Assuming Duncan and Richardson will either be away or get very little game time. Add in Bavidge, Boyd, Ritchie etc. and we look pretty good to me! Hoping Sokler can take it up a level this season.

RB cover is maybe an area to add to. Haven't really seen Milne play under Thelin, do we think he's still got a chance?

Milne was excellent when coming on in the semi v Celtic. Has looked good a few times, I feel there’s definitely a player in there. 
Disappointed he’s not had more opportunities this season. 

Is there anyone in the league you think we should be looking at?

If Killie are knocked out of Europe, then I'd like to see us test the water with a bit for Danny Armstrong. I don't think it's going to be successful, but he's someone I like and in a postion we need to strengthen.

Kilmarnock would ask for a hefty fee (as they should) but it's worth an ask. I didn't think much of him the season before but he really kicked on last year.

1 minute ago, DukDukGoose said:

If Killie are knocked out of Europe, then I'd like to see us test the water with a bit for Danny Armstrong. I don't think it's going to be successful, but he's someone I like and in a postion we need to strengthen.

Kilmarnock would ask for a hefty fee (as they should) but it's worth an ask. I didn't think much of him the season before but he really kicked on last year.

He's over rated, IMO.

Armstrong feels like a Greg Stewart/Matty Kennedy type who stands out (for lesser teams) when you play against them but when you're watching them 40 times a season they're nowhere near good enough.

4 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Obviously given our lack of wingers, he’d clearly improve the side, but I don’t think we’re going to be shelling out on a 26 year old. The return on investment is too risky and not sure how far his ceiling goes. 

13 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Code for - "Saints are after him".

Nah genuinely just think key attacker in a mid-table side is his limit. He's not quick enough or tricky enough to do anything more at a higher level. For a team chasing 3rd every season he'd end up being a squad player.

He's like Graham Carey IMO. Will look great in the highlights but the more you see, the more you realise 75% of what they do isn't coming off.

There's a few players like that who get pushed for bigger moves (Luke McCowan) when they'd clearly struggle to replicate it in a different set up with a different role in the squad. Blair Spittal will probably be the same at Hearts.

Edited by RandomGuy.

2 minutes ago, 1GregStewart said:

Milne was excellent when coming on in the semi v Celtic. Has looked good a few times, I feel there’s definitely a player in there. 
Disappointed he’s not had more opportunities this season. 

I think they see his future through the middle but he struggles a bit physically. Certainly better on the ball than Devlin but nowhere near as determined.

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Nah genuinely just think key attacker in a mid-table side is his limit. He's not quick enough or tricky enough to do anything more at a higher level. For a team chasing 3rd every season he'd end up being a squad player.

He's like Graham Carey IMO. Will look great in the highlights but the more you see, the more you realise 75% of what they do isn't coming off.

There's a few players like that who get pushed for bigger moves (Luke McCowan) when they'd clearly struggle to replicate it in a different set up with a different role in the squad. Blair Spittal will probably be the same at Hearts.

Agreed on Spittal. Was happy to see Hearts waste money there.

I would feel more comfortable with another centre-back, ideally left-sided, so hopefully we convince Bowat to choose us. 

I am still a bit of a Soklersceptic, so would ideally would another centre-forward too. Hopefully if Keskinen is more of an out-and-out winger and can provide a good quality of service from wide areas, it might make Sokler look a bit better. We saw again with that early chance on Sunday, even though his movement was actually pretty good to get onto the pass from Morris, that he just was never entirely comfortable with the ball in front of him - I never quite believe he is going to score in those situations, and I'm not sure he does either. He does need to start putting some of those chances away soon if he is going to stake a serious claim to be the long-term starting striker, I think. 

13 minutes ago, d31 said:

@RandomGuy.Whats the low down on Sidibeh? Is he the next big thing?

Our group chat just fired this one through to me as an AFC target - but looks like half of the English second and third tier clubs are interested in him.

3 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Our group chat just fired this one through to me as an AFC target - but looks like half of the English second and third tier clubs are interested in him.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Shite, leave him where he is.

£500k seems a bit nuts for someone who turned pro on 1st February 2024.

My inclination is the release clause is much lower and Craig Hinchcliffe knows the details.

38 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I would feel more comfortable with another centre-back, ideally left-sided, so hopefully we convince Bowat to choose us. 

I am still a bit of a Soklersceptic, so would ideally would another centre-forward too. Hopefully if Keskinen is more of an out-and-out winger and can provide a good quality of service from wide areas, it might make Sokler look a bit better. We saw again with that early chance on Sunday, even though his movement was actually pretty good to get onto the pass from Morris, that he just was never entirely comfortable with the ball in front of him - I never quite believe he is going to score in those situations, and I'm not sure he does either. He does need to start putting some of those chances away soon if he is going to stake a serious claim to be the long-term starting striker, I think. 

Unless one of them goes, I can't see us going for another striker.

You never know obviously.

23 minutes ago, d31 said:

£500k seems a bit nuts for someone who turned pro on 1st February 2024.

My inclination is the release clause is much lower and Craig Hinchcliffe knows the details.

His agent has been punting the £500k release clause for the whole Summer, so I don't see why he'd lie about it being higher than it is?

He would've been higher up the ladder if he wasn't late to the UK, then covid happened and stopped him getting a club too. You'll find differing opinions but for me he's too good for us already.

His issue is how quickly he's rising up the ladder, his body seems to have taken a while to get used to full time football, and his play on the ball still isn't there either as he's not spending any time developing before moving to the next club.

13 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Unless one of them goes, I can't see us going for another striker.

You never know obviously.

Whilst I think £500k on Sidibeh, who’s only been a full-time pro for 6 months at the age of 26, is a gamble, we DO need a new striker to replace Miovski.

Sokler - Doesn’t have it. Poor touch, poor when one on one on the goalie.

Gueye - he’s not a number 9

Ambrose - complete project player and nowhere near ready.

As I say I am far from convinced Sidibeh is the answer.

I’d have thought for £500k, Jimmy Thelin would know a Scandi striker that could be right for us. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

His agent has been punting the £500k release clause for the whole Summer, so I don't see why he'd lie about it being higher than it is?

I'm taking this to mean we're really not interested and it's just agent noise, hence why it's in the P&J first unlike our other signings.

31 minutes ago, Flammable sheep said:

I'm taking this to mean we're really not interested and it's just agent noise, hence why it's in the P&J first unlike our other signings.

Other than Mitov, which was similar circumstances.

Same journo 

Same clubs 

Release clause mooted