The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

22 minutes ago, Moorie said:

Sure we kicked off our European campaign in 2014-15 before the World Cup had even finished 

I think we played the home leg against Fola Esch on 30th June.  I'm sure Derek used a few of the post-split fixtures the previous season to rest players as we were well clear in 2nd - hence the 0-4 vs Ross County on the final day with that Aussie guy in goals.

1 hour ago, DukDukGoose said:

We were playing games against Welsh unis etc. 

Are there Welsh Unis called St Johnstone?  All I remember is having to play them in what seemed the only pre-season bounce match every season.

30 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

I think we played the home leg against Fola Esch on 30th June.  I'm sure Derek used a few of the post-split fixtures the previous season to rest players as we were well clear in 2nd - hence the 0-4 vs Ross County on the final day with that Aussie guy in goals.

Are there Welsh Unis called St Johnstone?  All I remember is having to play them in what seemed the only pre-season bounce match every season.

We've definitely done that in the years since COVID.

I think Theo Bair scored against us every time!

Ryan Duncan has joined Queen's Park on a season-long loan. Hopefully he can benefit from a change of scene.

He clearly hasn't been able to kick on since he deputised very capably for Ramadani and Shinnie in Robson's excellent half-season, but I also thought he just looked bereft of confidence when he did get minutes last season and it showed in what he produced. 

45 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Ryan Duncan has joined Queen's Park on a season-long loan. Hopefully he can benefit from a change of scene.

He clearly hasn't been able to kick on since he deputised very capably for Ramadani and Shinnie in Robson's excellent half-season, but I also thought he just looked bereft of confidence when he did get minutes last season and it showed in what he produced. 

Good move for him. 
He’ll not make it at Aberdeen so he’s as well trying to find a level he might get more game time at. 

1 minute ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Good move for him. 
He’ll not make it at Aberdeen so he’s as well trying to find a level he might get more game time at. 

I have doubts, but still hope there is still a chance he can make it with us - he's come through the ranks and certainly appears physically strong and athletic.

He definitely needs consistently tested at a higher level than his loan to Peterheid a couple of seasons back, and this is the right move.

Hopefully making room for a couple more inward in the next week and a half.

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

I have doubts, but still hope there is still a chance he can make it with us - he's come through the ranks and certainly appears physically strong and athletic.

He definitely needs consistently tested at a higher level than his loan to Peterheid a couple of seasons back, and this is the right move.

There’s more outgoings required.

Richardson will be released (paid off). 
Bavidge needs a loan. 

And ideally we need:

Centre forward. 
Defender. 
Right wing

In that order. 

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

Feels like another Cammy Smith, clearly has a bit of talent but doesn't really naturally have a position. Not quick or skillful enough to be a winger, not technical or intelligent enough to be a 10, and not defensive/aggressive enough to make a go of it at center mid.

One thing Duncan has on his side is physicality, could see him maybe doing well as a striker down a level or two.

27 minutes ago, HunterAFC said:

Feels like another Cammy Smith, clearly has a bit of talent but doesn't really naturally have a position. Not quick or skillful enough to be a winger, not technical or intelligent enough to be a 10, and not defensive/aggressive enough to make a go of it at center mid.

One thing Duncan has on his side is physicality, could see him maybe doing well as a striker down a level or two.

I’d suggest left back might be his long term position.

Reasonably quick, tall, decent left foot

It's interesting he's joined Queens Park because I've had him in my head as similar to Dom Thomas for a while.

Best when he's on the right and allowed freedom to drift inside a lot without a lot of defensive work.

1 minute ago, willywastecoat said:

Celtic pushing up the transfer fees has helped the dons get nearly 7 million for a player welcome to the player trading policy guys.

Thanks Celtic. We are so grateful. X

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's interesting he's joined Queens Park because I've had him in my head as similar to Dom Thomas for a while.

Best when he's on the right and allowed freedom to drift inside a lot without a lot of defensive work.

Thats definitely his best position, in my humble opinion.

8 minutes ago, willywastecoat said:

It's a lazy excuse, only players that play in European competitions can demand decent transfer fees. 

Shame Celtic don't pay decent transfer fees for SPFL players. Too tight to pay for John McGinn.

3 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Dante Polvara is a great example for Ryan Duncan to go away for a season at a lower level and come back into first team contention.