The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

6 minutes ago, Kneetrembler said:

I have it on no authority at all from sources deep within the forest, Aberdeen have a short list with two names on it.

1. Tommy

2.  Wright

ITK 

If there is a list Tommy Wright's name will be towards the top but there will certainly be others. At this moment Aberdeen are potentially an attractive prospect for a progressive manager. Looks like there could be £2 million + coming in from the departure of Hayes and McInnes, new financial investment on the board, plans for a new stadium and European football. All in all quite an attraction for anyone should McInnes leave.

I realise that last guy who took this viewpoint got lambasted but I don't consider Sunderland a 'big club' or necessarily bigger than us by virtue of them playing in England. They have decent attendances in relation to how shit they are, I agree. But really, they aren't a team that look like they can aspire to much. Aberdeen is an attractive job because there's a potential to play for trophies and play in Europe. Sunderland has more potential and exposure, i.e. the potential to triple your salary and play on the 'big stage' of the EPL. But I don't think it's a foregone thing that Sunderland are bigger than Aberdeen purely because they're rich and can afford decent facilities etc. We have a slightly more glamorous history, including European trophies, which, to your old school fan, would make us the bigger team. I am aware that in the modern era of MOTD, Twitter, SPORFBANTS accounts etc that your average joe has probably not even heard of us. 

I would say they have potential to be a big club mainly because of their fanbase. Don't particularly dislike them, but they're a team that's been horrifically run for years (kind of like ourselves a few years ago) and need rebuilt from top to bottom. I digress, though.

The 'big club' debate is entirely arbitrary though, anyway.

Edited by Alex_14

I realise that last guy who took this viewpoint got lambasted but I don't consider Sunderland a 'big club' or necessarily bigger than us by virtue of them playing in England. They have decent attendances in relation to how shit they are, I agree. But really, they aren't a team that look like they can aspire to much. Aberdeen is an attractive job because there's a potential to play for trophies and play in Europe. Sunderland has more potential and exposure, i.e. the potential to triple your salary and play on the 'big stage' of the EPL. But I don't think it's a foregone thing that Sunderland are bigger than Aberdeen purely because they're rich and can afford decent facilities etc. 
The 'big club' debate is entirely arbitrary though, anyway.

Tbf that is the essence of my point.

You're right. A big club is an entirely subjective topic and you can argue trophies, history, attendances etc.

However you have to see it solely from mcinnes' point of view. From a personal point of view Sunderland is a step up for him, as long as he can manage the risk that comes with that job.

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Tbf that is the essence of my point.

You're right. A big club is an entirely subjective topic and you can argue trophies, history, attendances etc.

However you have to see it solely from mcinnes' point of view. From a personal point of view Sunderland is a step up for him, as long as he can manage the risk that comes with that job.

If I was McInnes I'd be taking the job because of the salary being touted and the platform there is (to use Sunderland as a stepping stone if successful (big IF as it's a tough job)). What more can he really do with us? 

Doesn't necessarily make them a bigger or better club, we're certainly run a lot better which is why we're all holding out a glimmer of hope.

If I was McInnes I'd be taking the job because of the salary being touted and the platform there is (to use Sunderland as a stepping stone if successful (big IF as it's a tough job)). What more can he really do with us? 
Doesn't necessarily make them a bigger or better club, we're certainly run a lot better which is why we're all holding out a glimmer of hope.

It's fair to say we're in broad agreement then.

Although going back not too many years we probably couldn't lay claim to being a better run club. Mcinnes has been a huge part of that.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Are oddschecker behind on this? He was still 1/9 on betfair when I checked a second ago

It's the beffair exchange odds that are 7/5 just now. The rest are between 1/9 and 1/12.

48 minutes ago, Northboy said:

At this moment Aberdeen are potentially an attractive prospect for a progressive manager. Looks like there could be £2 million + coming in from the departure of Hayes and McInnes, new financial investment on the board, plans for a new stadium and European football. All in all quite an attraction for anyone should McInnes leave.

Or on the other hand the only way is down for Aberdeen and whoever takes the job. You cannot compete with The Rangers spending, you've lost half your first team and with Hibs coming up and looking to win the league(snigger), it all adds up to a very tough next few seasons for the sheep.

Or on the other hand the only way is down for Aberdeen and whoever takes the job. You cannot compete with The Rangers spending, you've lost half your first team and with Hibs coming up and looking to win the league(snigger), it all adds up to a very tough next few seasons for the sheep.

You're no fun.

3 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

It's less fun this way, and the gods hate me/us. Or that's when he's back from his holidays. 

Is Ronny Delia too mental an option?

Well he has a record in Scotland of his team's performances being disproportionate to his budget