The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

51 minutes ago, starryfish said:

Ex Newcastle centre half Steven Taylor also being linked with the Dons tonight.

3 minutes ago, G-MAN said:

Be better signing Clint Hill if this is the route we are going down.

I used to go and watch Newcastle a bit,  I guess the best thing you could say about Steven Taylor was that he looked a decent CB compared to Titus Bramble.
He'd probably be a decent enough centre half for us, wouldn't get exposed quite the same as at Newcastle.  He's also prone to "head's gone" moments which always makes things interesting.

49 minutes ago, akredz said:

I used to go and watch Newcastle a bit,  I guess the best thing you could say about Steven Taylor was that he looked a decent CB compared to Titus Bramble.
He'd probably be a decent enough centre half for us, wouldn't get exposed quite the same as at Newcastle.  He's also prone to "head's gone" moments which always makes things interesting.

Always possible the media saw the sun article and decided to publish a similar one without research. Or that the two clubs don't actually realise it. Or we are actually trying to sign him on a permanent. Or the whole thing is total rubbish. Or that we've collectively misread the rules regarding loans.

Press & Journal and The Scotsman both reporting that it would be a permanent deal, or at least acknowledging that we couldn't loan two players from Celtic at the same time. If true, this would surprise me purely because his contract at Celtic runs until 2019 and I didn't think we would be able to meet his wage demands (or compete with offers from clubs in England who might be interested in him). I have one or two reservations, but we could certainly sign much, much worse.

He's not had enough game time at sellick, if we get him for less than £300,000 I think it could be a decent bit of business

Still only 26 years old 

He's not had enough game time at sellick, if we get him for less than £300,000 I think it could be a decent bit of business
Still only 26 years old 

Less than £300k? Did Celtic not only pay £250k for him in the first place? I'd have thought they'd be willing to write a decent amount of that off just to get him out the door.

I know Ciftci was left out of their training camp and had been told to "find a new club", was that true of GMS as well. In truth having read what McInnes was saying he was after i.e: a versatile, ball carrier then if Maloney isn't going to happen then you can sort of see where Mackay-Steven fits although it's probably a downgrade but will still cost a fair bit of cash given his wages at Parkhead.

Just now, capt_oats said:

Less than £300k? Did Celtic not only pay £250k for him in the first place? I'd have thought they'd be willing to write a decent amount of that off just to get him out the door.

It was £2 million for both Armstrong and GMS combined.

I doubt this deal will happen in any case.