The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

36 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Yeah I can see that point of view and I wouldn't blame Motherwell for that at all. Certainly I do not see us paying over £500,000 for him with only one year to go.

If we go in with £500,000 and it gets turned down, we really cannot do more than that. Financially it would be utterly reckless from our point of view.

Yeah, I mean if it is the case that Aberdeen are literally the only club interested in Moult then obviously they have a decision to make given the year on his contract.

However, having just checked back through the transfer history over the past decade you have to go back to 2007 for the last time we sold a key player to another Scottish club (£700k for McDonald to Celtic) every other significant transfer/sale (13 in total by my count) has either been cross-border or abroad. Bearing that in mind I'd say it's fair to suggest that Motherwell's target market is England and it would seem to be logical for us to be targeting those leagues and valuing accordingly. Moult kind of gave things away a bit in that respect when he was talking about the sales pitch Motherwell had given him when he signed tbh.

Given we knocked back 2 offers for Moult in January that didn't even make the papers (1 from England and one, bizarrely, from Bulgaria) it wouldn't be a massive surprise if there was some interest beyond Aberdeen's that hasn't been made public. It's worth mentioning that Oxford's interest in Johnson became a thing around the end of July last year.

Though it's just been vague chat with absolutely zero substance he's been linked in recent months with Derby County, Oxford United and Sheffield United. All 3 are clubs that we've done business with in the past. It's still absolutely the case that he could end up at Pittodrie but it still seems like it'd be something of a last resort for both the club and player.

Edited by capt_oats

Yeah I can see that point of view and I wouldn't blame Motherwell for that at all. Certainly I do not see us paying over £500,000 for him with only one year to go.

If we go in with £500,000 and it gets turned down, we really cannot do more than that. Financially it would be utterly reckless from our point of view.

Couldn't agree more. Half a million quid???? Nah

GMS is coming on to a game for sure. The attacking 3 of Stewart-Christie-GMS is shaping up very nicely. They'll take apart more than a few teams this season.

I think Maloney will sign too before the Hamilton game as a boost 'ahead' of the season

Watching the highlights looks like shinne and Christie are making quite a partnership

We're also a lot more dynamic through the middle as a result. Especially now rat boy is away.

I do feel a bit for McLean though - he really came onto a game last season and he's looking a bit lost now we've rejigged things. Worried he'll be the target of the boo boys this season when things don't go to plan - especially given the **** are trying to unsettle him.

The Rangers guy that revealed we were signing O'Halloran, said at the same time he'd rejected a move to you lot. Maybe helps suggest you're still after another wider player?

1 hour ago, Tartantony said:

Yeah that list is likely to change come next week. PSV lost at home and Astra and Gent both drew at home so decent chance they could all be out

and then a couple hours after getting the final list of 22 would be the drawing into pots so its not worth looking at yet other than to know it'd be another step up in class

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

The Rangers guy that revealed we were signing O'Halloran, said at the same time he'd rejected a move to you lot. Maybe helps suggest you're still after another wider player?

Interesting....

before we got GMS.... understandable

as part of a deal for McLean..... sort of understandable

otherwise its really quite hard to believe we were interested at the moment with the attacking players we have even if a couple were to move on