Things you notice in TV shows that irritate you.

Jamaldo

Overt, in-your-coupon, don't-give-a-feck about continuity breaks product placement.

The worst I've seen was The Sopranos. The Porsche Cayenne, the Maserati Quattroporte, Pedigree, Coke cans everywhere, Michelin tyres, Crest toothpaste.......neverending bollox. :thumbsdown

I watched house of cards recently. The product placement in this even gets in the dialogue.

"Is that a PS Vita?"

"Just thought I'd come round for a Stella"

etc

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Adverts for razors do my head in.

The way they have clearly shaved someone with an electric razor, slapped some foam on him and then proceed to wipe off the foam with their superior brand of razor.

Why not try it on someone with an actual beard or 2 day old stubble and the foam coming off full of hair, then we'd see how fucking good your razors are?

I've tried these razors and they are not up to it.

Then again my facial hair is so tough you could probably scrub plates with it.

Detective shows - what do they do the rest of the time? Watching New Tricks last night and I had to wonder what they were all doing in the office. One guy is out and about trying to solve a murder while his bos sits in an office doing...what?

Overt, in-your-coupon, don't-give-a-feck about continuity breaks product placement.

The worst I've seen was The Sopranos. The Porsche Cayenne, the Maserati Quattroporte, Pedigree, Coke cans everywhere, Michelin tyres, Crest toothpaste.......neverending bollox. :thumbsdown

Having supposed tech experts in crime shows use Bing to research a topic of interest really annoys me.

1. Actual research isn't done by using a web search engine.

2. No tech expert I know would use Bing if their life depended on it.

Also, the website that contains the exact information they're looking for is *always* in one of the first four search results they get back. Say they've figured out the murderer is a plastic surgeon living in New York City who enjoys opera, they'll do a search for 'plastic surgeon nyc opera' (without any quotes, another bugbear) and immediately find the guy they're looking for.

Bear Grylls is a pussy. He climbs up and down shit and makes it seems like he's in difficult terrain, struggling to survive....not a peep out of his camera men. They're always waiting on him at the tops of a summits, down caves etc. They're the real bad muthafuckers.

Shows who over recap things. "On last week's show", "coming up after the break", "here's what happened before the break etc. It's only been 5 mins ffs we remember!

A recap of the previous week is fine. You might have missed it.

A recap of what you just watched is clearly for the brain dead.

Getting told what's still to come bugs the hell out of me.

There was a brilliant satire sketch of this done by a British comedy a few years ago. Unfortunately, I can't remember the show or the two male comedians. It was along the lines of someone in a small shop asking if they had some product in stock.

There was a brilliant satire sketch of this done by a British comedy a few years ago. Unfortunately, I can't remember the show or the two male comedians. It was along the lines of someone in a small shop asking if they had some product in stock.

This?

• 2 months later...

One that's quite annoyed me on The Big Bang Theory is how certain characters are getting into the homes of other characters when they don't have a key.

How does Howard get into Leonard and Sheldon's flat here, when Sheldon is seen having to use his key to get in?

And how does Leonard get into Penny's flat, when she has no idea he's even returned from the North Sea?

As far as I'm aware in neither instance does the person already in the flat have a key to it.

One that's quite annoyed me on The Big Bang Theory is how certain characters are getting into the homes of other characters when they don't have a key.

How does Howard get into Leonard and Sheldon's flat here, when Sheldon is seen having to use his key to get in?

And how does Leonard get into Penny's flat, when she has no idea he's even returned from the North Sea?

As far as I'm aware in neither instance does the person already in the flat have a key to it.

I'm pretty sure Sheldon and Leonard will have a spare key for Penny's flat - there was an episode where they talked about her having one for theirs, and having lost it. Sheldon also went in her flat to tidy it when she was asleep, and when she slipped in the shower.

I know too much about this.

Edit to remove the reposts of the vids.

That's just standard US sitcom etiquette though, isn't it? Everybody bursting into each other's homes. And not being shot in the face, surprisingly.

Frasier's the exception that springs to mind; he was always having his fake Mancunian slave answer the door because she should be grateful to be there, dammit. That, and the occasional mystifying episode of the other shows where someone will randomly decide to knock because the plot demands them not to have instant access.

Archived