Things you notice in TV shows that irritate you.

Jamaldo

Folk in 24 forgetting / recovering from all sorts of physical and emotional trauma, blackmail and backstabbing a few episodes/hours after the event.

If I remember off the top of my head folk have recovered from over the course of 1 day*:

Open heart surgery

Being shot in the head

Moon to the face

*One of these may actually be Star Wars. And they didn't recover. The others happened.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I remember off the top of my head folk have recovered from over the course of 1 day*:

Open heart surgery

Being shot in the head

Moon to the face

*One of these may actually be Star Wars. And they didn't recover. The others happened.

It was Chewie! I thought I'd gotten over that.

If a character get's a nose bleed, they have a serious brain tumour.

If a character gets fired/quits their job, they have a new job the next day.

it's never night time in soaps, people go 'clubbing' during the day

If a character is steaming they will usually get sobering news

Particularly in american tv shows, everyone drives home drunk/with a jag in them

If something is taken the wrong way it's never corrected by the offending character straight away, it goes on for another half an hour, same with acusations and denials.

When the actor of a character changes. VJ in Home and Away hasn't been seen for months. He used to be a 14yo skinny lad who's voice hadn't broken. Last night he reappeared as a 20yo 6ft surfie.

When the actor of a character changes. VJ in Home and Away hasn't been seen for months. He used to be a 14yo skinny lad who's voice hadn't broken. Last night he reappeared as a 20yo 6ft surfie.

Don't watch Eastenders but see they've cast a new actor to play Ben yet again.

Quite a few things here are just for reasons of brevity. You'd soon get pissed off with long scenes of Lenny Briscoe waiting for doors to be answered, or ancillary characters making small talk while Inspector Morse jogs off for a turd.

I do like a bit of expositional dialogue, though. It livens up an episode of CSI Miami to no end if you imagine that the highly-trained experts are explaining their jobs to each other because they're trying to cope with early-onset Alzheimer's Disease. It also explains why David Caruso always looks like he's struggling to remember his next line.

A character can just walk up to the barman and ask for a bottle of beer/a pint, barman doesn't need to question whether the customer would like a particular brand of beer, no, just hands over some random bottle which is duly accepted.

No one has ever heard of a pub crawl.

Main character never have to wait to get served in a pub/club.

No one has a previous life story, they just appear standing outside the empty house on the street with some boxes and within five minutes have a best friend.

No one moves two streets away, or to the next area, they all move to Manchester or Scotland.

The unemployed can afford to be neighbours with the guy who owns the local pub, café and chip shop.

Have a hot date with the girl/guy you've been trying to impress for months? Then better head to the market for a new suit/dress.

Show set in London, Birmingham, Los Angeles, or Detroit? Why not add to authenticity by having a 95% white cast.

Another thing, on programmes like Saved By The Bell, did the kids all get up at 3.30am or something, as they always had plenty of time to do things before school started. Go to the Max, the skatepark, kidnap the rival schools mascot, clean Mr Beldings car, shit like that. Another thing, did Mr Belding hate his family? As from what I can remember, not only was he the 'Headie' of a school, but he also worked in his brothers shop in the Mall at the weekends. You have a young son for Christ's sake Mr B. :angry:

Watching a programme where the presenter goes up to a house and knocks on the door. The occupant answers with a camera crew already in the house behind them and they act all shocked and surprised.

This.

If something is taken the wrong way it's never corrected by the offending character straight away, it goes on for another half an hour, same with acusations and denials.

This. It's like the Broons on TV.

If anyone is looking to buy or rent they'll always find somewhere close by, usually in the same street as where they currently live. And they'll be able to move in tomorrow.

Adverts for razors do my head in.

The way they have clearly shaved someone with an electric razor, slapped some foam on him and then proceed to wipe off the foam with their superior brand of razor.

Why not try it on someone with an actual beard or 2 day old stubble and the foam coming off full of hair, then we'd see how fucking good your razors are?

Adverts for razors do my head in.

The way they have clearly shaved someone with an electric razor, slapped some foam on him and then proceed to wipe off the foam with their superior brand of razor.

Why not try it on someone with an actual beard or 2 day old stubble and the foam coming off full of hair, then we'd see how fucking good your razors are?

And do it on some hungover fucker with acne who is late for work on the back of 2 hours sleep.

Archived