Dundee United 2014/15 Season

Is Rado the best keeper in the Premiership? No. Is he as bad as some folk are making out? Equally no.

Did a decent job last season and wasn't helped by a defence that were sometimes unpredictable; and by that I mean gash.

Had little to do in the friendly against Hibs but pulled off an outstanding save when needed. I think he'd relish playing behind Morris and Fojut.

I'm all for improving the squad and increasing competition for places but I'm not in favour of slagging a guy who has done a decent job for us.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is Rado the best keeper in the Premiership? No. Is he as bad as some folk are making out? Equally no.

Did a decent job last season and wasn't helped by a defence that were sometimes unpredictable; and by that I mean gash.

Had little to do in the friendly against Hibs but pulled off an outstanding save when needed. I think he'd relish playing behind Morris and Fojut.

I'm all for improving the squad and increasing competition for places but I'm not in favour of slagging a guy who has done a decent job for us.

He had a couple of howlers last season - the cup final being a prime example - but he wasn't the reason we struggled defensively. Unpredictable and gash are both awfully generous descriptions for some of our defending.

Another Polish goalie eh? They tend to be good for us, so I'm happy.

People have used Rado as a bit of a target I think. Our defence was utterly horrific last year and that always impacts on a goalkeeper and his performances. He absolutely deserves to be number one right now and get another season. This new young keeper will hopefully keep him on his toes but it would be a real shock if McNamara doesn't start the season with Rado in goal.

as a keeper myself im the best and you should all listen to me.

Rado is a fine shot stopper but good shot stopping tends to hide a multitude of sins in goalkeepers.

his fundamentals deteriorated as the season progressed last year, particularly towards the end of the season and pretty catastrophically in the final. The received wisdom that goalkeepers automatically fold behind a poor defence simply isnt true and indeed a good keeper can pull together a shaky back 4.

His kicking and distribution last year were shocking, he got worse at commanding his area and coming for crosses as the season went on and, whilst it happens to all keepers, he conceded some pretty soft goals.

i wouldnt be distraught about him being no1 next year but i think we should be looking for better.

Didn't see that coming, feel for the lad McCallum, haven't seen much of him but he's obviously not thought of very highly if we've bought a similar aged keeper to challenge our number 1.

Like the boy we've just got from Hull, he knew when his gaffer signed someone younger than him in his position that he wasn't going to get a look in, I think McCallum will think the same.

Hopefully we can loan him out to a Championship team where he'll play every week then we'll see if he can make it, but then most if not all teams will have their keeper sorted for the season by now.

I'm pretty sure you said the same thing last season about Rado, Not buying it this year. Yeah he's a good shot stopper, but he has far too many moment of madness for me.

Pro's

Good/decent shot stopper.

Con's

Limited English.

Poor distribution.

No command of his area.

Poor decision making.

Not particularly strong at one-on-ones.

Prone to throw the odd goal in.

EDIT: Basically what Invergowrie Arab said.

Some really harsh comments re Rado.

His kicking is bad and in the second half of last season he was shaky at times and made poor decisions.

His shot stopping is great, up close, one on ones and long distance pile drivers.

His English is excellent, I seen am interview on Arabzone in the build to cup final and he spoke English better than Keith Watson.

I like the way he comes for crosses and up until the end of last season (admittedly terrible errors) he was great at commanding the box at set pieces.

His confidence was shot towards the end of the season, he looked lost at times and I think the defence lost a bit of confidence in him.

New defence, no Gunning, I think we'll see Rado back to best this season.

Some really harsh comments re Rado.

His kicking is bad and in the second half of last season he was shaky at times and made poor decisions.

His shot stopping is great, up close, one on ones and long distance pile drivers.

His English is excellent, I seen am interview on Arabzone in the build to cup final and he spoke English better than Keith Watson.

I like the way he comes for crosses and up until the end of last season (admittedly terrible errors) he was great at commanding the box at set pieces.

His confidence was shot towards the end of the season, he looked lost at times and I think the defence lost a bit of confidence in him.

New defence, no Gunning, I think we'll see Rado back to best this season.

You're right and Peeel is wrong. Let's all move on now.

His "limited English" isn't an issue in the slightest and it isn't as half as "limited" as you probably think it is.

You're probably correct, forgot how long he has been here. Hasn't improved his game learning the language.

You're right and Peeel is wrong. Let's all move on now.

That's why his last shut out was December 21st?

We will see but if Rado is no1 I hope for his sake he gets off to a solid start as he has burned a lot of the previously built up credit with many fans. I hate to see it but can see him becoming a boo boy target if he is off to a shaky start to the season.

Of course not. How could you being wrong today possibly affect a sequence of events stretching back more than seven months?

In what way was I wrong?

His "limited English" isn't an issue in the slightest and it isn't as half as "limited" as you probably think it is.

Definitely, and I can confirm that his English isn't particularly limited as me and my mates bumped into him in Liquid after the semi final and he was able to chat away with us happily for a couple of minutes with no problems understanding, despite the fact my associates and I had already made great strides in our quest to get absolutely pished that night.

In what way was I wrong?

His last competitive shut out wasn't seven months ago. T'was back in March against ICT in the cup.

A wee peak at our new number 1 ;)

His last competitive shut out wasn't seven months ago. T'was back in March against ICT in the cup.

My bad.

Archived