Cowdenbeath 2014/15 Championship Thread

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have taken Spence and Campbell (Archie, not Iain) but not Buchanan. To be fair to Liam though, he has really stepped up this season and is scoring important goals. Great result for Alloa yesteday. Twice they've held Rangers now.

Out of the 3 of them Liam has done best so far this season, Spence scored quite a few goals early in the season mostly against lower league opposition in the cups, while you hardly hear anything about Campbell.

We are playing mostly full time sides whose fitness should be better than a part time side.

Should be but that's not the case with the scottish culture. Raith, for example, will train 2-3 hours 3 maybe 4 days a week max. Most of our players will train twice a week and should be looking after themselves. Fitness in this league shouldnt be an issue - and I don't think it is.

I think it's a mental reason. We fold too easily. Concede one and the second isn't far away.

I want to persist with the fitness - physical or mental - question. We've seen it a few times - playing well in the first half and fading in the second. If this happens in games v part-time teams, it's going to be very hard to get out of relegaton territory. In the cup tie at Forfar, we played the home side off the park, but ended up defending desperately. In the closing minutes a Forfar player with a great chance to level the score unbelievely missed an open goal.

To survive in the Scottish Championship, we need to be very well organised and full of energy, with every player clear about their role, closing down the opposition quickly and counter-attacking at speed.

For a part-time team to survive, it may also have to gather a few points from the big boys.Alloa are not a great side, yet they went to Ibrox and came from behind to get a point. Here is Graham Spiers's verdict on Rangers v Alloa (as quoted by Waspie): "Barry Smith's side of part-timers had a full-time team's fitness, a lovely confidence with the ball and approach to possession football which seemed well above their station".We have goo players at CP and are capable of much more.

I dont believe we have any fitness issues physically but we are not as organised as we could be.Being part time means you don,t have the same time to work on loads of different formations so you have to find whats best for you,re side.I don,t believe we do that.We constantly play guys not in their best positions and we suffer for it.Like Ron i also think we have good players but we need to play them in their best positions as often as possible to have any chance of getting a run of positive results.We have good passers of the ball,quick central defenders who are also good in the air,and real pace up front.We should be doing better.If we stop being so concerned about our opponents and just play to our strengths i am convinced we will do better.Just my opinion of course.

I want to know why we don't come from behind to win games. Have we got a defeatist mentality? Do we give up.

Had a think about this and it occurred to me we haven't come from behind to even draw this season. Every time we've been behind we've lost.

I worked it out. This apell under Nichol we have come from behind to win in 90 minutes ONCE. That's shocking especially as it was a cup game against 3rd division Clyde. It's a real worry to me. That's over 40 games - go behind and its over.

Archived