Cowdenbeath 2014/15 Championship Thread

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think any questions should be welcomed at the meeting, all the way from the future of the club to team selection mysteries. We are indeed all in this together - that's precisely why there should be full and frank exchanges to clear the air before moving on to new realities. For a "wee club", I think we have a very committed core fan base from board room level to terracing level - people who give of their money and time to help keep the club alive. That's why there needs to be transparency, with no questions regarded as out of bounds.

This season promised so much on the field - in terms of games against big fashionable clubs - and off the field in terms of a potential financial bonanza. Even as early as the close season and those first winnable games, some warning lights were flashing. "Shambles" was the buzz-word. As we ran further into difficulties, the squad got bigger and bigger to no great purpose. Players who had heroically kept us up towards the end of the previous season became dispirited. The 10-0 humiliation at Tynecastle was a disaster waiting to happen. Sadly, the last game of the season, in which we were outplayed, outmanoeuvred and outfought by a less-than-brilliant Alloa side was not a surprise. And just when it couldn't get any worse, the outrageous Colin Marshall incident left a really sour taste.

Off the field, did the bonanza materialise? I suspect not, but we need to know. If fans are to be asked to put up more cash, questions need to be answered.

Blame is pointless, but after such a season there has to be a time of learning from mistakes. Donald has been a tireless chairman, giving up huge amounts of time for the club. We are indebted to him, and also to the hardworking board, as well as to keen volunteers and to fans who just keep on supporting the team in good times and bad. But we can't simply carry on as if nothing untoward has happened. We also need to know more about the future of the club, both on and off the field.

In other words, recriminations are not what is wanted, but learning is. It also needs to be made clear that asking tough questions is not a sign of disloyalty. Tough questions were asked about the manager's strategy as the season stumbled on; asking questions is the right of football fans who love their club. The answers were either not forthcoming, or were less than adequate.

We have been spoiled by successes in comparatively recent times. We have had far worse times in our history, times when the very existence of the club has been on the line. Historically, we have had far more dismal seasons on the park. And we have recovered from these things - so far. We can recover again. We need Donald and the board and a viable plan for the future of Cowdenbeath FC. But at this stage, the prime need is to know what lessons have been learned, and what we can all do for the club.

Ron - fans can ask what they like and anyone who asks me a question always gets as straight an answer as I can give. Indeed I regularly shared opinions and information on here but was then taken to task for daring to question some viewpoints as if I was speaking on behalf of the Board instead of giving my own private (albeit sometimes informed) opinion so that that channel for communication was cut off. The Bonanza did not emerge as has often been highlighted in the Programme, CFT, the AGM, and on social media.

Thus ask away at the meeting - what would be the point if we weren't willing to have an honest exchange of views.

I think any questions should be welcomed at the meeting, all the way from the future of the club to team selection mysteries.

I don't see how the board can answer questions about this. It was Jimmy who was picking the team and he's gone.

I don't see how the board can answer questions about this. It was Jimmy who was picking the team and he's gone.

I worry this meeting could develop into a game by game analysis and I told you so discussion. Every fans meeting seems to end up as a looking back bleating meeting. No offence to anyone intended but please can we look forward, not back.

Scott Linton and Archie Campbell both released by Dumbarton. Two players that would be fantastic in league 1. Unlikely either will pick up a club higher but more likely to look closer to home.

Dont think the meeting should be about past events full stop.

We cant change anything.

We must understand where the club lies and what we can do to ensure a prosperous future.

Jimmys gone, last season was fucking awful but dwelling wont get us back.

Ron - fans can ask what they like and anyone who asks me a question always gets as straight an answer as I can give. Indeed I regularly shared opinions and information on here but was then taken to task for daring to question some viewpoints as if I was speaking on behalf of the Board instead of giving my own private (albeit sometimes informed) opinion so that that channel for communication was cut off. The Bonanza did not emerge as has often been highlighted in the Programme, CFT, the AGM, and on social media.

Thus ask away at the meeting - what would be the point if we weren't willing to have an honest exchange of views.

David, this highlights an important communications issue. We no longer have a dedicated Cowden forum, and Pie & Bovril is too open and general for the raising of specific issues about the club. Let's take one example from the past season: did Jimmy Nicholl actually resign three times as manager - as he suggested in a radio interview - or did he not? This was a matter of real concern to the Cowden support: it wasn't a good feeling if the manager in post actually wanted away. Here's a more recent one: has John Lints gone or has he not? Again, important.

Quite a number of loyal Cowden fans live far away from Fife. They may not get to many games, yet they are passionate about the club. They may contribute to the club through buying a season ticket or via the 100 club. They want to know what's going on. They don't see the CFT. So, thinking about the future, here's a constructive suggestion: that someone close to the club sets up an email group of fans who would like a mailing every so often. Once a group has been set up, it simply requires an email to be written - one click of a mouse and it goes out to the whole group. As well as giving news and answering questions, this could be very useful for fundraising. ( As I recall, this type of scheme was operated by the Action Group, and it was a very effective means of communication. ) And here's a complementary proposal: that "Meet the Manager" meetings be handled through Skype - with far- flung fans being able to contribute live to the discussions.

David, I'm not suggesting that you do this - you're doing more than enough for the club already. But I do think we need to steer well clear of a situation where one group of fans is "in the know", and another group feels "out of the loop".

Most of the issues I raised in my original post are now redundant, since the manager has resigned. Nevertheless, I think some needless aggro that spilled into Pie & Bovril during the season could have been avoided if the kind of communications system I am suggesting had been in place.

I'd be glad if you could put this proposal on the table. I can't be at the meeting. As you know, I live in Orkney. I do have a season ticket, even though I can't get to too many games. I travelled down for the Alloa game. I almost lost the will to live on the journey down and back - to fly down would have cost nearly £300 - and actually lost the will to live during the Alloa game.

Scott Linton and Archie Campbell both released by Dumbarton. Two players that would be fantastic in league 1. Unlikely either will pick up a club higher but more likely to look closer to home.

Linton maybe, but I'm not convinced Archie is even good enough for a playoff/promotion push in League 1. Our 18 year old reserve striker almost matched his entire seasons goal tally in 36 minutes of first team football.

Archived