f**k you Marko Ayr are staying up

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We actually did what ayrmad is suggesting in 2003/4 we won 6 games in all competitions and got relegated

And what youth system did we have back then?

We managed 7 and 9 victories the last twice we were in the championship so what's your point.

Watch this :

McArthur , McCracken , Wardrop , Nisbet along with others are all more than capable of making a contribution next season .

There are younger lads coming up behind them as well.

You all seem to be delighted with Forest and his contribution , quite rightly so , well there are more in the pipeline believe me.

Watch this :

McArthur , McCracken , Wardrop , Nisbet along with others are all more than capable of making a contribution next season .

There are younger lads coming up behind them as well.

You all seem to be delighted with Forest and his contribution , quite rightly so , well there are more in the pipeline believe me.

I don't need to watch it, I was there and some of those boys are ready, it was a wee lift after the shite season, I'm quite sure Lawrence and Saltire took the same positives as myself out of the day.

Not true - we were chucking money at it back then!

I think the cash had dried up by then, the words financial meltdown spring to mind.

Quite significant at that time.

Indeed.

In 2001-02 we reached a Youth Cup final, only to be beaten by a Rangers side, full of players that have since went on to become internationalists for Scotland (Alan Hutton, Charlie Adam, Chris Burke, etc.).

As well as producing the likes of Craig Conway.

The same things were being said at that time, but I think it proves the point. What was seen as an elite youth team were largely given their chance and very few made it as credible players.

Exactly. The most notable player in the 2001-02 Youth Cup final team for Ayr would probably be Scott Chaplain.

Conway was given a chance, like Forrest was last season, because he was clearly good enough for this level at that age.

To make money from young players ( which is the way forward for most of Scotlands Clubs ) you have to play them first !

After 60 first team games where they have shown up well a 17 , 18 , 19 year old becomes marketable .

How do you expect to make the Academy pay without playing the young players ?

That's not always true. Has the youth academy not made money from rangers and others buying youngsters well before they get near first team level? Again when Shankland had top clubs interested would we not have got a transfer fee if that had gone through? But I do agree with you on the whole and think over the years Ayr could have made slightly more of the young players rather than bringing in someone else's cast off via the loan system.

It's not the way forward for most clubs - that's a grating cliche!

The young players are rarely good enough and clubs would be extremely lucky to find one player a season, if they chucked everything they had at it. And what was there in that schoolboy game we were supposed to get so excited about in that video you posted?

Can we put this rubbish to bed now.

It's not the way forward for most clubs - that's a grating cliche!

The young players are rarely good enough and clubs would be extremely lucky to find one player a season, if they chucked everything they had at it. And what was there in that schoolboy game we were supposed to get so excited about in that video you posted?

Can we put this rubbish to bed now.

The obvious, and flippant, reply is that every player has been a 17 or 18 year old player. Of course they won't all make it but our club has no choice but to try to bring through some of our Academy players.

I will repeat what I said at the time, the U19 final was possibly the most entertaining game I saw at Somerset last season. There was some good football on show and, unlike the first team, both centre halves were challenging in the air and wining the ball. Young Nisbet was outstanding up front. Longridge was very good and I was surprised he was released. If we give some of them a chance, we might see a few male the breakthrough.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that we should field the U19s team every week, but when there's an injury or suspension why not play a young player in their natural position rather than re-shuffle the team to make do with experienced players who're out of position and quite often not up to the shift? I've talked to Marko and he always talks about the reserves and U19s not being "real fitba" but there's only one way to get experience and that's to play.

Archived