Heart of Midlothian 2014-

14 minutes ago, King Dom's Moustache said:

Paulo how is it not a good comparison? You're talking about attendances being indicative of a clubs size, Newcastle get bigger crowds than the other 2?

As a matter of fact the expansion of Anfield has made it slightly bigger than St James' Park so Liverpool can finally get bigger sell out crowds. 

If you want to better understand the cultural phenomenom that is Newcastle United then I can recommend 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Toon-Roger-Hutchinson/1841589152

3 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

As a matter of fact the expansion of Anfield has made it slightly bigger than St James' Park so Liverpool can finally get bigger sell out crowds. 

If you want to better understand the cultural phenomenom that is Newcastle United then I can recommend 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Toon-Roger-Hutchinson/1841589152

Elixir's method does make us bigger than every club in Italy though, I'll take that.

We're incomparable anyway. There was a bit in Why England Lose/Soccernomics where they say that wage budgets are the most reliable indicator of where a team will finish, and that the only clubs that repeatedly bucked this trend were Newcastle and Marseille (who are repeatedly much worse than they should be).

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Are we now going to have a pissing contest about who's got the bigger underachieving hard luck stories now?

I think Hearts would win that having lost the title on the last day 3 times to our 1.

6 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

Elixir's method does make us bigger than every club in Italy though, I'll take that.

We're incomparable anyway. There was a bit in Why England Lose/Soccernomics where they say that wage budgets are the most reliable indicator of where a team will finish, and that the only clubs that repeatedly bucked this trend were Newcastle and Marseille (who are repeatedly much worse than they should be).

If you were to stand on the centre circle at St James' Park and look to the North West it would look like a contemporary of the San Siro or Camp Nou but look to the South East and you could be in Stoke or Middlesborough

St James' is a giant concrete and steel metaphor for the club

1 hour ago, King Dom's Moustache said:

Paulo how is it not a good comparison? You're talking about attendances being indicative of a clubs size, Newcastle get bigger crowds than the other 2?

Liverpool get more now. Chelsea certainly would if they weren't so restricted.

1 hour ago, Dubford don said:

Does elixir regard the terrible trio era at hearts as a freak era when hearts won 7 trophies in 8 years.

No.

5 hours ago, Elixir said:

Trophies won shows the success of the club. Hearts are chronic underachievers, while Aberdeen tbf, are massive overachievers.

Translation: Aberdeen have won more trophies than Hearts

No. It's not a good comparison at all.

I understood your point perfectly thanks very much.

My point is that you are an unadulterated bore about attendances.

It is very clear that you attach a lot of your self esteem to hearts average attendance at home and the fact you believe them to be a 'bigger club'.

I really couldn't give a shit how many people attend hearts matches. I care about the dons and what they achieve and across history that is more than your club.

Even still, I don't care. I love Scottish football and watching the dons. I loved the dons during the dark days of McGhee and I love them now. Your little maroon club don't bother me in the slightest.

Hearts won 6 trophies from formation until 1906,they then won nothing until 1954.they then had their golden era winning 7 honours between 1954 to 1962 and then nothing until 1998.

despite being 30 years older than the Dons they have won fewer honours so there is no doubt who are the most successful club.

i have great respect for the way the hearts fans rallied round their club when they were in danger of going under but this undoubtedly has a bearing on their improved gates in recent seasons prior to that both clubs had similar gates.

finally why does exilir regard the Dons success in the 80s as freaky but hearts winning nearly half their honours in an 8 year period as normal.

57 minutes ago, Dubford don said:

finally why does exilir regard the Dons success in the 80s as freaky but hearts winning nearly half their honours in an 8 year period as normal.

Hopefully because it bams up the kind of dafty who cares if his team is 3rd or 4th biggest in a footballing backwater.

1 hour ago, Dubford don said:

Because he's a c**t

14 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Of course the real measure of a club's status and history is the Tennent's sixes and with two wins each it's impossible to separate the two

This is new-fangled stuff.  Only about 6 of us remember Quiz Ball - the first episode can be seen here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02mbcsf

Your team also appeared but we only get a short clip: 

Aberdeen's crowds are embarrassing considering their recent success tbf. Doubt Hearts could match their wages for McGinn though.

3 year deal could swing it though - Niall turns 30 in July - not sure AFC will offer him that length of contract.

6 hours ago, Dubford don said:

Hearts won 6 trophies from formation until 1906,they then won nothing until 1954.they then had their golden era winning 7 honours between 1954 to 1962 and then nothing until 1998.

despite being 30 years older than the Dons they have won fewer honours so there is no doubt who are the most successful club.

i have great respect for the way the hearts fans rallied round their club when they were in danger of going under but this undoubtedly has a bearing on their improved gates in recent seasons prior to that both clubs had similar gates.

World War I undoubtedly stopped a great Hearts team in its tracks, which would have won at least one league title and possibly the Scottish Cup if it was held.

But then we wouldn't have the most noble story of any club in world history, as Field Marshal Bobby Walker led the charge of the light brigade over the top on that famous July morning in 1916. Nor would he have returned to France to storm the beaches of Normandy and liberate Europe from Nazi tyranny three decades later.

bobby.gif

World War I undoubtedly stopped a great Hearts team in its tracks, which would have won at least one league title and possibly the Scottish Cup if it was held.
But then we wouldn't have the most noble story of any club in world history, as Field Marshal Bobby Walker led the charge of the light brigade over the top on that famous July morning in 1916. Nor would he have returned to France to storm the beaches of Normandy and liberate Europe from Nazi tyranny three decades later.
bobby.gif&key=9cac0b7a38095bf15604871644fd33cc11828cd0942c035cf80acc7f0430d53c

"Aberdeen fans are obsessed with the past"