Heart of Midlothian 2014-

40 minutes ago, harry94 said:

I don't think it is about that though, it's risk mitigation. Anyone can put a few hand sanatisers out and I'm sure the clubs will have people on board taking it seriously, that's still no substitute for reduced contact. The second tier clubs return to competitive football on October 6th. Is there really a good reason for a sports team to be in facilities together 7 weeks out?

In all sectors, there's a push to keep people away from shared spaces as much as possible. The Hearts situation is what it is and was obviously confused by the relegation but I think the reaction to this has been embarrassing. The club have been training for a lot longer than any of their rivals and after a week or so of players having to train alone, should be back together for their second start to pre-season 6 weeks and 1 day away from the start of their new season.

There's nothing unreasonable about that. It's not all about football and public health priorities are no 1 concern.

Our situation wasn't confused by the relegation, we were given the ok to start training as a confirmed Championship club.  We have only trained longer than our rivals because we were willing to do so, other teams were given that opportunity and chose not to, which is absolutely their prerogative.  But once we have resumed training and as long as there's no breaking of protocols going on, we should be allowed to continue.  The only reason it should be stopped is if considered unsafe, which it hasn't been deemed so by the government.   

Also regarding the bit in bold, it is about that.  The JRG said training can't resume until the following criteria were met:

-All club facilities comply with the current JRG Protocols, social distancing and hygiene measures.

-All club policies and procedures comply with the current protocols and government guidance.

-Club testing regimes in the professional game comply with the protocols.

-Players and staff at all levels of the game have been reminded of the latest government guidance.

Now assuming teams wanted to return on Monday which is the case, they'd be able to prove all those points were satisfied surely?

Edited by Tony Wonder

4 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Our situation wasn't confused by the relegation, we were given the ok to start training as a confirmed Championship club.  We have only trained longer than our rivals because we were willing to do so, other teams were given that opportunity and chose not to, which is absolutely their prerogative.  But once we have resumed training and as long as there's no breaking of protocols going on, we should be allowed to continue.  The only reason it should be stopped is if considered unsafe, which it hasn't been deemed so by the government.   

News reports and the SPFL statement both state that the SPFL and SFA agreed the training halt with the Scottish Government so this is where you're wrong. As far as I can tell, it's Jason Leitch who's saying otherwise, but he doesn't seem to be in the know on this particular issue, and got it wrong on whether it applied to Hearts, because all he knows is what he read on the SFA website or something.

Edited by Aim Here

1 hour ago, Tony Wonder said:

I'm not saying you shouldn't be allowed to train.  I have no idea why the JRG can't visit the setups of teams wanting to return next week and decide whether they are adequate, you are talking about a handful of teams, it could easily be done over a day or two.

As for an unfair advantage though, we're already back.  They can't decide when teams return, and more so the JRG should only be concerning themselves with the safe return of the game.  Perceived unfairness isn't in their remit whatsoever.

Because they are waiting to see what the Government decides to announce on the 20th which suggests changes are in the offing.  

You can't continue to train while everyone else is banned from doing so, if e.g. Dunfermline were doing it and you were banned from joining them you'd rightly find it ridiculous. 

It was fine you were training when everyone else chose not to join but that's no longer the case.  

2 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

That changed when the other Championship clubs were banned from training, most of whom were due to start on Monday. If Hearts were allowed to carry on regardless it would give them a sizeable unfair advantage, something that Hearts should know all about the way they continually bang on about it.

Just now, itzdrk said:

Because they are waiting to see what the Government decides to announce on the 20th which suggests changes are in the offing.  

You can't continue to train while everyone else is banned from doing so, if e.g. Dunfermline were doing it and you were banned from joining them you'd rightly find it ridiculous. 

It was fine you were training when everyone else chose not to join but that's no longer the case.  

But the top flight clubs can continue?  Will they be changing how they train before the 20th?  

Just now, Tony Wonder said:

But the top flight clubs can continue?  Will they be changing how they train before the 20th?  

Their competition is underway, they need to train to play the matches.  Or I presume that is the reasoning anyway. 

I think the decision was ridiculous btw. 

Just now, itzdrk said:

Their competition is underway, they need to train to play the matches.  Or I presume that is the reasoning anyway. 

I think the decision was ridiculous btw. 

Yeah I get that's the reasoning, but it's ridiculous.  If the delay is to bring in new guidelines, the suggestion is it's not safe to continue on the old path in the meantime.  So allowing them to continue because they are playing doesn't really matter if it's about safety.

If Hearts were able to start training under these protocols and it was considered absolutely fine and safe then, I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to continue. Their training didn't suddenly become any less safe because a handful of top flight players breached the rules.

7 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

The reason the top flight and Glasgow City can train is because they have imminent upcoming games and it would be a serious disruption to stop training for them.  Hearts' first game is on  October the 6th so there's no pressing need for them to be training right now. If they lay off training for a few days, there will be no tangible traced-back-to-August-14th training-related problems come kickoff.

It's a tradeoff between avoiding risk and avoiding unnecessary disruption. Just as having road traffic is risky, but the disruption to society would be too serious  for us to ban them outright so it's tolerated, the risk of having folk train is tolerated if banning it would have a big impact on ongoing competitive fixtures.

Edited by Aim Here

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

If Hearts were able to start training under these protocols and it was considered absolutely fine and safe then, I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to continue. Their training didn't suddenly become any less safe because a handful of top flight players breached the rules.

They can be the only club in their league training but they can't be the only club allowed to train.  

4 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Yeah I get that's the reasoning, but it's ridiculous.  If the delay is to bring in new guidelines, the suggestion is it's not safe to continue on the old path in the meantime.  So allowing them to continue because they are playing doesn't really matter if it's about safety.

Don't totally disagree with you here. 

20 hours ago, Romeo said:

You confirm hearts started early.

Expulsion to league one is the only option.

Spot on there Romeo!

and Aberdeen and Celtic down to the Championship too. That would boost attendances - whenever the season starts.

2 hours ago, Tony Wonder said:

I'm not saying you shouldn't be allowed to train.  I have no idea why the JRG can't visit the setups of teams wanting to return next week and decide whether they are adequate, you are talking about a handful of teams, it could easily be done over a day or two.

As for an unfair advantage though, we're already back.  They can't decide when teams return, and more so the JRG should only be concerning themselves with the safe return of the game.  Perceived unfairness isn't in their remit whatsoever.

Well. Either it is or it isn't. Shouldn't be difficult to establish that. 

Presumably the SPFL is up in arms about the JRG over-stepping its' remit???? or maybe not!

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

That changed when the other Championship clubs were banned from training, most of whom were due to start on Monday. If Hearts were allowed to carry on regardless it would give them a sizeable unfair advantage, something that Hearts should know all about the way they continually bang on about it.

Clubs, under normal circumstances, would be choosing when to start ahead of a league season and those start of training dates would vary in any case.

Is it suggested that all clubs must start pre-season training on the same date for each league or division? No. Of course not.

It may even be argued that players get stale if they start club training too early.

Edited by Dev

Quite disappointed  to see Uche go, think he'd destroy teams at that level.  But he's likely third choice at best at Hearts and on big money, can't really justify keeping him.  Plus a move to the English Championship is a good move for him, hopefully  we get a fee.  Wish him well.

3 minutes ago, Dev said:

Clubs, under normal circumstances, would be choosing when to start ahead of a league season and those start of training dates would vary in any case.

Is it suggested that all clubs must start pre-season training on the same date for each league or division? No. Of course not.

It may even be argues that players get stale if they start club training too early.

It's a bit different if only one club is allowed to train.