Heart of Midlothian 2014-

On 26/07/2018 at 12:11, sjc said:

Again I agree with much of this but sadly its been Politicised by the lowest common denominator of society.

There was a trend among some rather unpleasant types to turn Remembrance day into an Armed Forces Day

Theoretically an actual "Armed Forces Day" (which technically should be at the end of June) should fix that by counteracting the trend and allowing Remembrance Day to be about the fallen as opposed to the currently serving

Of course what's happened in practice is that those jingoistic uniform fetishists simply treat them  as two armed forces days 

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

3 minutes ago, sjc said:

Again I agree with much of this but sadly its been Politicised by the lowest common denominator of society.

The fact that some numpties misuse a thing doesn’t make that thing a bad thing. Some people use kitchen knives to stab people. Kitchen knives are a good thing. Some people use pain-relieving drugs to inject themselves to oblivion. Pain relief is a good thing. Some people use their Saturdays to watch Hibs. Saturdays are a good thing.

4 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

There was a trend among some rather unpleasant types to turn Remembrance day into an Armed Forces Day

Theoretically an actually "Armed Forces Day" (which technically should be at the end of June) should fix that by counteracting the trend and allowing Remembrance Day to be about the fallen as opposed to the currently serving

Of course what's happened in practice is that those jingoistic uniform fetishists simply treat them  as two armed forces days 

I would agree that remembrance day should not resemble an armed forces day

2 hours ago, Pet Jeden said:

Unless you are a pacifist - which is a perfectly rational and noble position to hold - then there should be nothing controversial or divisive about showing support for your own state’s armed forces - whether you define that as Scotland, The UK, or even The EU.   Mostly they are young working class men who left school with limited opportunities who then sign up and end up doing jobs that alternate between boring and lethal. It’s not the armed forces that are controversial, it’s what we and our politicians ask them to do that needs to be questioned.

What else are politicians going to ask their trained killers to do? 

1 hour ago, Pet Jeden said:

The fact that some numpties misuse a thing doesn’t make that thing a bad thing. Some people use kitchen knives to stab people. Kitchen knives are a good thing. Some people use pain-relieving drugs to inject themselves to oblivion. Pain relief is a good thing. Some people use their Saturdays to watch Hibs. Saturdays are a good thing.

Some friends of mine who support Brechin City / Albion Rovers tend to disagree with that (or at least did last season)...

14 minutes ago, coprolite said:

What else are politicians going to ask their trained killers to do? 

I didn’t mean what shall we do with X Company/Fleet/Squadron   - have them give Latin dancing lessons or invade a small country ? I meant have them involved in a peace keeping mission in west Africa, or not ? Have them in the Baltic, or not ? Have them bomb Gaddafi’s Libya, or not ?

'Member this Johnsen lad? I thought he was rank when he came to the Netherlands, didn't do much early on in the season, but turnt up the style and ended up scoring 19 league goals. He's been transferred from ADO Den Haag to AZ now, for about 2.5 million GBP

5b5ad16a2bc80_ADO-spits-Bjorn-Johnsen-moest-na-een-half-uur-gewisseld-worden-foto-Soccrates-Images1.jpg.0b2c2063489c4fafbb558e89b09f535b.jpg

37 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

Sure I remember him toying with ‘the Rangers’ one game. Didn’t play to his potential every week but definitely had something about him to see he could very good.

When I saw him play he looked like a very good player, but just in the wrong team / setup -  i.e. he didnt have the players around him to give the right support / supply.

Was surprised that he didnt get a move within the UK

When I saw him play he looked like a very good player, but just in the wrong team / setup -  i.e. he didnt have the players around him to give the right support / supply.
Was surprised that he didnt get a move within the UK

Pretty much. He had a good touch and wanted to play, we just kicked the ball at him neck height and expected him to do something.

I liked him. Good movement, decent touch, well timed runs into the box. Could have scored more - maybe with regular starts and confidence ? £2.5m would be our second highest ever transfer fee. Woefully mismanaged - who is has that overall responsibility ? Just because he was 7 ft something, Neilson used him as a target man even though he was clearly not great in the air or particularly strong. Cathro obviously didn’t rate him - which should have been grounds for giving him a 10 year contract.

Don’t suppose we have a sell-on clause ?

Edited by Pet Jeden

On 26/07/2018 at 10:55, Pet Jeden said:

Mostly they are young working class men who left school with limited opportunities who then sign up and end up doing jobs that alternate between boring and lethal. 

If it is class thing, why not celebrate cleaners? Oh right, that's silly.

£200k for the top scorers of a rival.  GTF a mutants.

Unfortunately they know it'll turn his head.  From our point of view I wouldn't sell to them for less than £1m.

Edited by Tony Wonder