Heart of Midlothian 2014-

Whelan will get nowt, he wants back down South and we are releasing him to do so.  

I was assuming he’d stay if nobody down south offers him a deal. If we’re cancelling his contract at his request then aye, f**k all for him.

1 minute ago, NJ2 said:

I was assuming he’d stay if nobody down south offers him a deal. If we’re cancelling his contract at his request then aye, f**k all for him.

Sounds like it's a good deal that suits both parties.  He'll be desperate to play so he can play for Ireland and we're very happy to get rid.

30 minutes ago, Darren said:

Whelan leaving is a good deal for both parties, it hasn't worked out. Berra, I'd imagine, will be more difficult to shift.

I agree, less teams will be in for him but I don't think he's the kind of guy to hang about if he's not wanted.   I'd imagine he'd either take a modest pay off or drop down a level if he's desperate to play.

9 minutes ago, Eric said:

I agree, less teams will be in for him but I don't think he's the kind of guy to hang about if he's not wanted.   I'd imagine he'd either take a modest pay off or drop down a level if he's desperate to play.

He could just hang around for 6 months at Hearts

1 minute ago, Eric said:

He's  played three seasons in the English Premiership and four in the English Championship and then come back and captained Hearts. 

If he carries on playing at a lower level then it won't be because he needs the money 

As absolutely terrible as Berra has looked last year I dont know quite sure if he is done at this level. Its hard to really gauge how good/bad a player is at Hearts due to the shit show past few years. 
If he is I dont know how much he would want to drop further given he is a former premier league player and internationalist. Unless he fancies a tip at a championship team promotion challenger.

So if he's wanting to stay in the league I don't think he would want to constantly play on a plastic pitch so maybe one of the Saints or Ross County would be his only realistic options. I don't know how much Hearts would want him to go to potential relegation rivals though unless they think he is absolutely done.

5 minutes ago, gannonball said:

As absolutely terrible as Berra has looked last year I dont know quite sure if he is done at this level. Its hard to really gauge how good/bad a player is at Hearts due to the shit show past few years. 

It really isn't.

Berra was really good for us, then he got a bad injury, came back and was shite. He is finished. It's that simple. 

The "shit show at Hearts" has been caused by having shit players and he has genuinely been one of the worst over the last year.

From the outside looking in, it appears Stendel has made very quick decisions on what is going wrong - binning Daly and Fox, Whelan, Berra - two coaches and two very experienced players who you would imagine are quite influential. This can either be seen as decisive, or entirely flawed if it creates bad feeling and he doesn't have adequate replacements. Right now, I think he may be unnecessarily pissing people off who he may need further down the line (see Hibs under Butcher).

Berra is absolutely done at this level, his complete collapse over the past year and Levein refusing to drop him is one of the reasons Hearts are in their current predicament. I imagine he's on a hefty wage as well, makes absolute sense for a new manager to try and offload him.

1 minute ago, EpicMike said:

Berra is absolutely done at this level, his complete collapse over the past year and Levein refusing to drop him is one of the reasons Hearts are in their current predicament. I imagine he's on a hefty wage as well, makes absolute sense for a new manager to try and offload him.

From what I've seen of Hearts, I'd agree with that, but there is a way to do things - sending the club captain to train with the kids is a bit disrespectful.

1 minute ago, Hendo said:

Right now, I think he may be unnecessarily pissing people off who he may need further down the line (see Hibs under Butcher).

The key difference is Butcher slated Hibs' players after the transfer window had closed. 

Just now, Hendo said:

From what I've seen of Hearts, I'd agree with that, but there is a way to do things - sending the club captain to train with the kids is a bit disrespectful.

It's a bit of a brutal way of encouraging unwanted players who are on lengthy and expensive contracts out the door. Harsh but Stendel understandably wants the wage freed up and doesn't want an unhappy veteran player influencing the first team.