Premier League 2014/15

banana

It might sound like a ridiculous thing to say at this point but what would the likelihood be of city finishing outside the top 4 should Utd and Arsenal have very good seasons? i don't think its outwith the realms of possibility and think they rely very heavily on Toure who was been shit so far in my FF team so far and may spit the dummy out again and leave. I obviously fancy them to be challenging for the league with Chelsea but as we know anything can happen.

Can't see them outside top 4 but funny enough I don't think they'll win it ,agree on Toure though, I wonder will they start playing Fernandinho more with a view to moving Toure on at the next transfer window

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't seen the press conference but apparently Wenger has said that if he was in the country on deadline day he wouldn't have signed Welbeck on a permanent deal.

That'll make Welbeck feel welcome.

I think you're misreading what he said. He's already clarified that due to him playing the charity match he was up at 6am, and because he had such an early start he was able to direct the club over the deal fairly early on and get the deal done before the deadline, if he hadn't been at the charity match he wouldn't have been up that early and the deal would've taken too long to be concluded.

I think you're misreading what he said. He's already clarified that due to him playing the charity match he was up at 6am, and because he had such an early start he was able to direct the club over the deal fairly early on and get the deal done before the deadline, if he hadn't been at the charity match he wouldn't have been up that early and the deal would've taken too long to be concluded.

Ahh ok.

Going by this http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29156465 it sounds like he only wanted a loan option.

Ahh ok.

Going by this http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29156465 it sounds like he only wanted a loan option.

Apparently the initial talks were a loan with an option to buy, but over the course of the day something happened that changed into a permanent deal. Wengers vagueness and unwillingness to talk about any transfers, combined with the English media, makes it hard to tell whats actually going on in fairness.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/11088929/Arsenal-manager-Arsene-Wenger-Danny-Welbeck-only-signed-because-I-went-to-Rome-on-deadline-day.html

"To make it fair play we should be able to spend as much as Manchester United have spent before we play them on Sunday," added Redknapp on Friday.

"That would be fair play, wouldn't it?

"What is fair play because one club can spend £200m on a team and another might spend £8-10m on their team. That's not fair play really, is it?"

What a tit.

I've had trouble explaining this to people in the past who consistently claim that United are cheating the FFP rules and cheating everybody because they spend so much money. It's amazing that people have such a lack of understanding at the amount of money United make every year and therefore have the ability to spend massive amounts of money whenever they see fit.

With the new commercial deals this is only going to increase.

I've had trouble explaining this to people in the past who consistently claim that United are cheating the FFP rules and cheating everybody because they spend so much money. It's amazing that people have such a lack of understanding at the amount of money United make every year and therefore have the ability to spend massive amounts of money whenever they see fit.

With the new commercial deals this is only going to increase.

I don't approve of Financial Fair Play either. Largely because it's nothing to do with Fair Play.

It's about ensuring the traditional elite remain the traditional elite. I'd have more respect for it if it was run like American Baseball, but of course, there's no chance of that. Wealth is to be hoarded at the top of the game, despite the effect it has on competition.

Yeah the FFP Rules are a bit farcical, not for the reasons Redknapp is pointing out, but because the top teams can find ways around it anyway, and the authorities have no interest in properly punishing them anyway

I don't approve of Financial Fair Play either. Largely because it's nothing to do with Fair Play.

It's about ensuring the traditional elite remain the traditional elite. I'd have more respect for it if it was run like American Baseball, but of course, there's no chance of that. Wealth is to be hoarded at the top of the game, despite the effect it has on competition.

Agree with you there. I have absolutely no idea how it could be implemented, but a key part of the reason I'm so into basketball is for the signing system there. Every team has an allowed budget for wages, no transfer fees and young players are drafted, the first choice of new youngsters going to the worse team. Keeps the league competitive with teams able to trade draft picks for players etc.

As I said, no idea how it could ever be implemented with so many leagues. But the current system of 4/5 teams spunking money whilst others are having to be a lot more astute is dull. Look at Southampton, they put together a great side and it was stripped of it's best players because they follow the cash and clubs are willing to offer the money.

Yeah the FFP Rules are a bit farcical, not for the reasons Redknapp is pointing out, but because the top teams can find ways around it anyway, and the authorities have no interest in properly punishing them anyway

I find the whole thing bizarre.

A salary cap I get. If everyone can spend say £50 million max on wages then it's a competition to see who can do the best with the same resources.

If you wish to spend over that you need to repay the difference back to the league to be redistributed to the other teams in the league, as in baseball.

FFP is a bad joke. Keep the rich rich and make sure the upstarts know their place. It's wrong to buy the league... unless Man Utd do it.

Archived