Will Rangers ever get promoted?

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were actually going to ask you along for a pint. Tedis idea...i said Ok as long as i got to ask you for a Phint.

: :lol: It's placatory Monkey. He'd order a phint of Oranjeboom to hold a balance between both sides.

We ended up in lockerbie that night getting fish n chips as the traffic was a nightmare the other way. Looking forward to a trip down this coming season.

Leaving aside insolvency - I'd expect them to be guaranteed the play-offs at a minimum, and I'd be stunned if they finished lower than 2nd, in spite of McCoist and presumably cut-backs in playing staff (or rather a lack of investment in playing staff) given they've been hemorrhaging money the last couple of years.

Wouldn't be *that* surprised if they don't end up winning the title, or indeed winning in the play-offs, though.

I genuinely think Rangers did well against us last season. They maybe took heed of the fact we were full time and took us seriously (and subsequently hammered us). The way we sleepwalked to the end of the season was poor and Rangers showed a bit of character to keep up that unbeaten run, even if it meant very little.

However, I think Cowdenbeath were far and away the best team we played last season.

They might not go another year undefeated but Rangers have to be huge favourites. Saying that, I would love it, love it, if Falkirk won the league next year.

The bookies' odds do not reflect the chances of an occurrence, rather the prices reflect the money staked on a specific outcome. What you're seeing there is a situation where (comparatively) many have backed rangers, and fewer have put money on the rest. Obviously the odds posted start at a level which will encourage "investment", but as things go on prices will find a level which will see the bookies' liabilities at no more than 95% or so of the total stake amount. One of the great myths of our time is that the bookies lose money when a favourite comes in. Barring freak events like Red Rum's third National win (where realistic odds would have kept many casual punters away from the shops), they always retain a small amount of the total staked. A small amount, but repeated time after time after time.

If the bookies didn't think Rangers were going to win the league they would be giving you odds to tempt Rangers fans into backing them. The fact is they have little doubt Rangers will win the league therefore give you odds such as 5/1 on to discourage people from backing them.

If the bookies didn't think Rangers were going to win the league they would be giving you odds to tempt Rangers fans into backing them. The fact is they have little doubt Rangers will win the league therefore give you odds such as 5/1 on to discourage people from backing them.

They don't care who wins the league (or which horse wins a race, or which act wins the X-Factor) - what they care about is the money. They think more people will back rangers, so they limit their liability on that choice.

You'd be surprised how many bets I've placed at odds of 1/5 or shorter - a 20% return on investment is not to be sniffed at.

Bennett, you gave that a Helen. Why?

So, again, which part of WRK's summary deserves the reddie? Or are you playing the man?. Again.

It was a rhetorical question. I didn't expect a logical response. Which is just as well.

It obviously wasn't rhetorical.....

Next time you'll mabye think twice about acting the twat.

They don't care who wins the league (or which horse wins a race, or which act wins the X-Factor) - what they care about is the money. They think more people will back rangers, so they limit their liability on that choice.

You'd be surprised how many bets I've placed at odds of 1/5 or shorter - a 20% return on investment is not to be sniffed at.

I know they don't care who wins. I know they are only interested in the money.

I understand the point about having to shorten the odds on the team who will be backed the most...for example Scottish clubs in European competition etc.

You are just going back to type here...Rangers poster so i must disagree with him.

The bookies also reflect who they believe will win. For example...Celtic v Barcelona a few years ago the bookies were giving 8/1 against Celtic even though you would expect Celtic to be the more heavily backed team.

The bookies are giving you these ridiculously shprt odds on Rangers because they expect Rangers to win and don't want you backing them. If they thought there was a chance Rangers won't win the league they would give you better odds to try and tempt you into the bet.

Bookmaking isn't an exact science but the bookies favourite ...and especially succh a short priced favourite..is the one they believe will win.

I know they don't care who wins. I know they are only interested in the money.

I understand the point about having to shorten the odds on the team who will be backed the most...for example Scottish clubs in European competition etc.

You are just going back to type here...Rangers poster so i must disagree with him.

The bookies also reflect who they believe will win. For example...Celtic v Barcelona a few years ago the bookies were giving 8/1 against Celtic even though you would expect Celtic to be the more heavily backed team.

The bookies are giving you these ridiculously shprt odds on Rangers because they expect Rangers to win and don't want you backing them. If they thought there was a chance Rangers won't win the league they would give you better odds to try and tempt you into the bet.

Bookmaking isn't an exact science but the bookies favourite ...and especially succh a short priced favourite..is the one they believe will win.

Why would you expect celtic to be more heavily backed? No matter how thick, how steeped in "tradition" a celtic fan was, he'd not be putting money on his side to win, no matter the odds. It would be3 more likely that he'd back Barca in the hope of getting a positive out of the result. (there's always the pesky draw, of course).

Bookmaking is an extremely exact science - if you think otherwise, try manually clerking a book at a race meeting as bets come in, and decide how the odds on various runners should change. I personally can handle a win-only book, and see those with the skills to calculate liabilities with an each-way field as akin to wizards. And that is a sole trading book, not laying with other books to spread the risk.

People who decide on which odds represent "value", based on their belief in a specific outcome's probability have a name in bookmaking circles - they're called "punters".

Archived