Queen's Park vs Clyde - 9th August

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very poor today not one with pass maks players thought it was a gimmae will take the points but bazza will be fuming no player worth a mention exclude the subs

100% agree with you but feel Daly couldn't have done anymore than he did given the short amount of time he was on the park.

£2 to take part in those scenes, glorious. Feel the seethe.

In all seriousness, we were poor. Subs totally changed the game in our favour but wins a win.

In saying that, even when we play shite queens still can't beat us.

Very lucky to get the 3 points today.

Started off well enough but after McManus hit the post we started going downhill. Queen's Park were equally as poor and their goal was a very poor one to lose sneaking in at the front post direct from a corner.

Scott Ferguson was the only one that looked capable of doing anything going forward. Far too many missed placed passes and the midfield disappeared.

Great 3 points and the sheer scenes were unbelievable. How we managed to win that I dont know we were very poor for large parts of the game but fair play to the boys for rallying and getting the win. Special mention to McColm & Daly who played a big part in our upturn in the last ten mins, Daly especially. Fergie as always was the stand out.

Delighted to have sneaked the win and got off to a good start. Lets hope Barry irons out these issues we have asap.

See the BBC had a man at the game today, will this be a feature this season?

Did you listen in? I think everyone will want it to be a permanent feature of Radio Scotland's results coverage.

Interviewer: 'What kind of manager are you then Barry - are you a cajoler?'

Ferguson: *Almost certainly the most glaikit look ever...*

Interviewer: 'So you've got your own way of doing things...'

Ferguson: 'Av tried tae introduce a bit e' professionalism, know? Likes e' Ice Baths and Sports Drinks...'

Love it.

For Clyde games, yes. We're "box office", you see.

or will it last until you lose a game or 2

Did you listen in? I think everyone will want it to be a permanent feature of Radio Scotland's results coverage.

Interviewer: 'What kind of manager are you then Barry - are you a cajoler?'

Ferguson: *Almost certainly the most glaikit look ever...*

Interviewer: 'So you've got your own way of doing things...'

Ferguson: 'Av tried tae introduce a bit e' professionalism, know? Likes e' Ice Baths and Sports Drinks...'

Love it.

was he no asked if he was a cajoler or a shouter, reply a moaner, cant wait for the 2-page spread in Monday's Record :blink:

Stole it but I seem to remember a guy called Daly doing the same to us. Terrible marking for the winner so as much as we stole maximum points we did take advantage of the situation. Terrible way for us to go a goal down from as well. Shambles of a near post defence from a simple corner. Turning point was switching Fergie to right wing. He was our main danger anyway but just a bit more direct on the right and was able to draw the penalty.

Need to move the ball quicker in general. Look at the pace and movement of Cowden' last week compared to the deliberate, going nowhere stuff we produced today. Credit to QP for much of that as well as they were usually ready for us. Error strewn match from both sides though.

I thought we played well in the first half and could easily have scored two of the goals of the season through McManus/Ferguson. Watt had two terrific chances but skied them miles past. That said, Barclay had to make two excellent saves and QP also missed a free header at the back post; probably the only time they really got in behind us.

Second half and they realised they could push their midfield as far forward as the liked without there being any threat from us in the attacking midfield area. I'd be lying if I said they looked like scoring but it looked like Durie ducked under a corner kick and the ball skipped straight in. Disappointing goal to lose and after that we struggled to move the ball through midfield at all. Bringing on Daly allowed us to play the long ball and he did brilliantly to set up Ferguson to win us the penalty. The winning goal was a great ball in by Sinclair but the marking was poor; probably a knock-on from us still having our centre halves up in the box.

I thought Durie, Gray and Watt contributed absolutely nothing positive to the game. Barclay had a good game, Ferguson as well. Marsh/McQueen/McKinnon all comfortable. We missed Sweeney as he has the energy to get into the area behind McManus. The whole midfield trio didn't get up with play often enough; summed up at the two breakaways from QP corner kicks where a number of Spiders ran past Clyde players to snuff out the danger.

QP reminded me of the team that Jim Duffy put together in his first couple of season; stuffy, competitive but unlikely to ever cut a team open. They'll probably pick points up all over the place but won't come close to the top half.

Today showed just how much of an asset John Sweeney is to the side, the trio we went with all had a poor afternoon and just didnt seem interested in driving forward with the ball, although it was a good ball in for the winner (cant remember if it was Gray or Sinclair).

Theres no doubting the performance was poor but credit to the team who kept plugging away and got their reward. Fantastic scenes at the winning goal.

Also a GIRFUY to Tony Quinn whos over exurberant celebrations at their goal came back to bite him right on the arse :lol:

Queen's Park :lol:

Firstly, it must be stressed just how dreadful we were today. The slick passing of the last few weeks at no point came to fruition. Wasn't a fan of Sinclair sitting, from what I've seen he looks more useful further up the park. Gray or Capuano should've played there, although all three of our central midfielders had quite poor games with a lot of misplaced passes. Durie and Watt were lacklustre today too.

After a bright start, it settled into a fairly dull affair - McManus hitting the post, Ferguson drawing a good save from the QP 'keeper and a clever Miller free-kick which almost caught Barclay out the only real talking points of the half. The action started afterwards though, first a Miller corner was whipped into the front post and it evaded the man on the post (Durie?) and went through Barclay's legs.

RMw6s5N.jpg

Not sure who to apportion most blame to but both players should've done better. From that point on it looked like a foregone conclusion with the defensively solid (besides a suspect right-back) Queen's Park happy to let us band the ball about the back. Some of the shouts to hoof it were ridiculous, especially while our front three consisted of Ferguson, McManus and Watt, but we lacked any sort of penetration. Ferguson was our only notable attacking outlet but his final ball failed him today. The introduction of Daly and McColm, particularly the former, changed the game though - as did the change of shape which helped us to stretch their defence. A good flick from Daly found Ferguson who Quinn cynically brought down. McKinnon kept a cool head to level things.

OWnaB3h.jpg

After that we seemed to settle and apply some pressure, although it was a little end-to-end. I'm not even going to go through how the winner happened - I simply can't remember. Some c**t crossed to Daly who was unmarked and he headed home, and in doing so brought about a euphoria of the ilk that is rarely witnessed. The sheer scenes were absolutely delightful. I think I may have actually kissed ScottR96 in the melee which followed. The contrast between Daly's celebration in the 3-1 game and today's one is wonderful.

iROKXqx.jpg

Overall, a draw was probably the fair result today. Queen's look far more solid and organised a unit than they were last season - a replacement for Quinn would be ideal, but I was impressed by Berry and McPherson in particular. Both will be instrumental in any success you may have this season. Lacked a bit of a spark but they'll do fine. From a Clyde point of view, it was good that we got the 3 points but we'll have to improve markedly if we're to challenge - perhaps this was just an off week. Personally, I think Ferguson should play to our strengths this season and play McColm on the left, Ferguson on the right and Daly up front, with a view to bringing in the personnel to fit his preferred system next season. Our two wingers are at their best when getting in behind and delivering into the box, and Daly would do well with good service. I'm not a fan of Watt on the right wing at all - decent against Ayr but has been almost anonymous in the last two games.

Finally, the thing which really cherry-topped the goal was my sudden realisation of the ball-crushing despair that was then being felt in the "home" end. It actually reminded me of this absolutely wonderful SImpsons moment:

As their fans have already identified, there were quite a few errors from Clyde today, but given the state they were in two seasons ago, I think it's impressive how far they've come. Once they iron out when to play square passes across the back, and when to go long, they'll definitely be a team contending for the title. Their passing style of play is to be admired, as ours was not too long ago, but like we did then they'll maybe also suffer once we get to the heavy pitches / gale-force winds time of the season.

After being completely outplayed for the first 20 minutes, I thought that the rest of the half was fairly even, and that we started the second half the better of the two teams, but Ferguson (MOM by a country mile) deservedly won the equaliser (no need for Quinn to dive in as the shooting angle was tight), and that gave the visitors the impetus they needed to snatch the winner, with neither of our central defenders or our goalkeeper covering themselves in glory.

Obviously disappointed to lose so late in the game, but not despondent as we will get much better as a team in the weeks ahead. Hopefully Clyde fans will grudgingly acknowledge that a big part of how poor they were at times was largely due to Queen's more than matching them in endeavour, which is a good base for us to progress from. Even this early in the season (unlike last!), I don't think we look like a bottom of the table side, but we'll see whether visiting fans agree (baiting apart) with that assessment or not.

Archived