England v Costa Rica

banana

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was still better than 2010.

True, we had to suffer more than three games back then

So results don't matter?

Of course they matter, but performances matter as well. The 0-0 with Algeria at the last World Cup wasn't just the worst football match I've ever seen, but the worst thing in any medium. Everyone in our group in 2010 should have been sent home for stinking the place out.

England have played much better this time, but their shortcomings have been exposed by higher quality opposition. There's been clear progression in the way England play. Unfortunately while we only have one defender who's comfortable at this level (Cahill) then we're going to struggle.

I predicted when the draw was made that we'd be out in the first round anyway.

Englands best result of the tournament. They seem delighted.

Fair play to them, plucky little minnows scraping a draw against a much better side.

England have played much better this time,

Are you fucking steaming? England have been absolutely horrific. Wanking over a narrow defeat to the worst Italy side in my lifetime just doesn't cut it I'm afraid.

Are you fucking steaming? England have been absolutely horrific. Wanking over a narrow defeat to the worst Italy side in my lifetime just doesn't cut it I'm afraid.

You'd have to be blind to think England were better in South Africa. We were atrocious in every game, barring about 15 minutes against Germany.

You'd have to be blind to think England were better in South Africa. We were atrocious in every game, barring about 15 minutes against Germany.

They were atrocious in every game of this tournament.

By absolutely no measure have England performed "much better" at this World Cup. They've been laughably poor and were deservingly papped oot before the dead rubber against a far, far superior Costa Rica side. A thoroughly embarrassing campaign all round with no redeeming factors whatsoever.

They weren't though.

Did you ever find out when the Republic of Ireland played in the British Home Championships by the way?

2011, effectively the same tournament just re-branded

They weren't though.

Did you ever find out when the Republic of Ireland played in the British Home Championships by the way?

I do love the deluded England fans, oh yeah you were actually brilliant in your two defeats and draw to Costa Rica :lol:

I can't do your goggling for you. They incorporated as the Republic of Ireland football team in 1953, how many British Home Championships did they compete in since then?

They incorporated as the Republic of Ireland football team in 1953, how many British Home Championships did they compete in since then?

:huh: Northern Ireland were allowed to play as "Ireland", but the Republic was only allowed to play as "Republic of Ireland" after that year. The Republic of Ireland never competed in the tournament until 2011, and even then its arguable whether its the same tournament

Four misplaced passes from England in the first 90 seconds of the second half just about summed up their campaign. I was really surprised at their inability to pass a ball to a team mate; it was like watching a (gulp!) Craig Levein Scotland team.

With the old guard probably on their way, and Rooney pretty pish, you have to wonder if the kids coming through can halt the slide. Some pundit said that they have 91 or so Englishmen to choose from in the EPL. That's not very many.

Once they start slipping down the rankings and get into some tougher qualifying groups, it's difficult to reverse the trend.

Once they start slipping down the rankings and get into some tougher qualifying groups, it's difficult to reverse the trend.

Never going to happen, too big a TV audience, too much advertising revenue for UEFA/FIFA to allow.

Four misplaced passes from England in the first 90 seconds of the second half just about summed up their campaign. I was really surprised at their inability to pass a ball to a team mate; it was like watching a (gulp!) Craig Levein Scotland team.

With the old guard probably on their way, and Rooney pretty pish, you have to wonder if the kids coming through can halt the slide. Some pundit said that they have 91 or so Englishmen to choose from in the EPL. That's not very many.

They won't slip down though, there group for the Euros is an absolute walkover, sort of the same with Greece, they have got themselves into a good seeding for these tournaments so when it comes to qualifying they've always just got enough to get results!

:huh: Northern Ireland were allowed to play as "Ireland", but the Republic was only allowed to play as "Republic of Ireland" after that year. The Republic of Ireland never competed in the tournament until 2011, and even then its arguable whether its the same tournament

The Ireland that competed pre WW2 included the Republic of Ireland, of course that counts as part of their footballing history :lol:

They did terribly, obviously, compared to Scotland but they still competed.

Surely no one is actually trying to suggest that England performed better in a World Cup in which they were fucked out at the group stage garnering a solitary point against a Costa Rica side (who played for the point they required) and "unluckily" losing to a woeful Italy side (who lost their other games), and Uruguay (whose half-fit striker single-handedly won the game)?

Utterly ridiculous. Granted not qualifying has at least saved them from a repeat of the sort of arse-fucking Germany gave them last time round. Always a positive.

Archived