Salmond Vs. Darling - The Debate

ham89

Darling being rattled and not doing well is not going to cost "a few % points", that does sound a bit like wishful thinking

Am not sure that Salmond can do much about his "smugness" he is "smug", that is just a fact

But you are right, this is not going decide the result

The result - unless something major happens was decided months ago. Yes supporters are very vocal - No supporters a lot less vocal. A lot of that imho is to do with many of the haranguing bores on the Yes side.

You cannot speak or reason with them at all. I say that not just from my experience here but dealing with the likes of my Yes-voting brother.

It's like arguing with a cult member - pointless.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never understood this smug Salmond thing. I genuinely don't see what's so unlikeable about the guy.

Oh come on, really?

It's far too easy to mistake confidence for smugness.

you are right , but its smugness

The result - unless something major happens was decided months ago. Yes supporters are very vocal - No supporters a lot less vocal. A lot of that imho is to do with many of the haranguing bores on the Yes side.

You cannot speak or reason with them at all. I say that not just from my experience here but dealing with the likes of my Yes-voting brother.

At least Yes voters are willing to debate, mate.

No voters just stick their fingers in their ears and go "la la la".

The immaturity of your average No voter has really surprised me. Not to mention their selfishness.

The immaturity of your average No voter has really surprised me. Not to mention their selfishness.

you have a "hard neck" calling into question anyone's maturity, going by some of your recent posts

You don't debate though.

Debate means actually listening to the other side of the argument.

In your case everything is black and white - instead of the shades of grey it actually is.

Are you sure you're not my brother?

You don't debate though.

Debate means actually listening to the other side of the argument.

In your case everything is black and white - instead of the shades of grey it actually is.

Are you sure you're not my brother?

I am willing to listen. How many times have I asked a No voter to tell me why we're better together? I'm more than willing to listen. Brother. x

The thing is, the arguments for a yes are so easy to make that I'm fairly sure I could give Alistair Darling a run for his money.

I have been to 4 or 5 debates and the yes side has won every single time.

I look forward to seeing what a skilled debater like Salmond can do.

If there is a large viewing audience then it could certainly be a game changer, as previously said, it might have to be.

The thing is, the arguments for a yes are so easy to make that I'm fairly sure I could give Alistair Darling a run for his money.

I have been to 4 or 5 debates and the yes side has won every single time.

I look forward to seeing what a skilled debater like Salmond can do.

If there is a large viewing audience then it could certainly be a game changer, as previously said, it might have to be.

he is not a "skilled debater" it is a myth

it is not going to be a "game changer", most people have already made up their minds

it is not going to be a "game changer", most people have already made up their minds

More skilled than any of the people I have seen debating is what I meant.

I was under the impression that most people had made up their minds, but I have been absolutely amazed by the number of soft no or undecided voters that I have met. I realise that is my limited experience, but even the pollsters are showing that there are a fair % of undecided voters.

Look at all the school debates, regardless of how people enter the room, yes makes gains. That could happen on a larger scale.

Wait, Salmond not smug? Come on guys :lol: As I've said before, I find it quite amusing but he's definitely smug. He's got a very patronising tone which a) is entirely understandable given his opponents in Holyrood and b) can be quite a good weapon when he's on UK TV getting asked about how Jockland would afford those prescriptions without the English handout.

I met him at a work thing once and although he's pretty personable in real life, he still has an air of arrogance imo.

pleasing.jpg

Last time I checked the UK political system has had one major TV debate and it entirely upset the earlier polling. The main issue for Salmond is actually high expectation - given the Real Madrid v East Fife nature of the contest, anything less than an absolutely crushing, total victory will be seen as saved face for BitterTogether.

Similar to the last Sturgeon-Lamont farce.

NO voters shout just as loudly as YES voters and as for the 'you cannot reason with yes voters' pot fucking kettle!!! Try reason with me Ecto and tell me why we should stay in the Union, please?!! There is however a ridiculous amount of people who stay silent over the matter on BOTH sides, I know 3 friends who are guaranteed NO voters and an abundance of other mates who are voting YES but neither have said nothing on it purely down to the fact they are voting on how they see their identity, they are politically clueless and the 3 NO voters are Rangers fans and all the rest of them are Scotland fans and proud to be Scottish. I've asked them why they don't put anything YES up and they've said they can't be arsed getting into a debate cause they are clueless and wouldn't know what to say. A lot of people will be voting on how they see their identity which IMO is another reason why I think YES has a good chance when it comes down to it on the day. Even though, well IMO the YES argument is stronger.

NO voters shout just as loudly as YES voters and as for the 'you cannot reason with yes voters' pot fucking kettle!!! Try reason with me Ecto and tell me why we should stay in the Union, please?!! There is however a ridiculous amount of people who stay silent over the matter on BOTH sides, I know 3 friends who are guaranteed NO voters and an abundance of other mates who are voting YES but neither have said nothing on it purely down to the fact they are voting on how they see their identity, they are politically clueless and the 3 NO voters are Rangers fans and all the rest of them are Scotland fans and proud to be Scottish. I've asked them why they don't put anything YES up and they've said they can't be arsed getting into a debate cause they are clueless and wouldn't know what to say. A lot of people will be voting on how they see their identity which IMO is another reason why I think YES has a good chance when it comes down to it on the day. Even though, well IMO the YES argument is stronger.

Er . . . I'm not Ecto.

As for the rest of your post . . . a meltdown harangue.

Some Yes supporters don't realise how much they fekk people off.

I mentioned my brother earlier - my sister (who is currently undecided but was nudging towards Yes) told him in no uncertain terms that his attitude made her less not more likely to vote Yes.

Not the best way to win friends and influence people.

Er . . . I'm not Ecto.

I mentioned my brother earlier - my sister (who is currently undecided but was nudging towards Yes) told him in no uncertain terms that his attitude made her less not more likely to vote Yes.

This iPhone app needs sorted ASAP I've had so much bother with it the last few days. It showed you as Ecto on here, apologies.

A meltdown harangue? In what way, just pointing out there's a lot of people keeping quiet on both sides.

I've just finished reading someone ask why we should vote YES on Facebook (usual couple of hundred comments follow) and it worked the opposite way, 2 of his friends from England and a friend from Scotland basically told him that Scotland would become some sort of 3rd world country and that we couldn't do anything rather aggressively which then made him start to question them on everything and with the aid of a few good YES voters he said in the end he was likely to vote YES! :)

Think everyone fecks everyone off when talking about this referendum, as has been shown on here people are trying to push their opinion on other people which people naturally don't like, just depends on who people speak to.

Me thinks the lady doth protest too much. Do I detect a note of fear in your chat?

Er . . . I'm not Ecto.

Yeah I've heard this a few times. X friend/ family member is pushing Y/ Z person the opposite way. Lack of gumption if they let that get to them.

Some No supporters don't realise how much they fekk people off with their inability to listen and lack of willingness to debate key matters and their selfish attittude.

Jeez, you'd think Yes voters were mindless thugs the way some precious No voters carry on.

If Yes campaigners were putting people off their ideas then we would see successive debates going in favour of BT: we don't. If Alex Salmond was a hugely divisive figure because of his 'smugness' then he wouldn't enjoy sky-high approval ratings compared to any other mainstream politician, and wouldn't have cantered to two successive landslide wins.

Diehard unionists are simply wishing away their own seethe upon an unreceptive public.

Me thinks the lady doth protest too much. Do I detect a note of fear in your chat?

no not really only attempting to put the point the Salmond may well win the debate, but it will not be the "slaughter" that the Yes campaign so now desperately need, lets face it the polls are not where YesScotland need them to this point

Archived