Sevco (about to) sign Boyd

I cant understand the reasoning behind some of the signings myself but some people prattle on about missed opportunities in blooding the youngsters. We did and for the most part they were found wanting. Of course this reflects poorly on Murray Park and we really need to be looking to improve our youth system but in that respect we are no different to every other club in Scotland. Everybody would love to be watching 11 young lads that have come through the clubs youth system...Very few clubs achieve this or anything close to it...Barcelona being a notable exception

Even then Barcas famed academy is pretty much just a massive fucking collection of kids being pumped full of PED's and training until they collapse

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cant understand the reasoning behind some of the signings myself but some people prattle on about missed opportunities in blooding the youngsters. We did and for the most part they were found wanting. Of course this reflects poorly on Murray Park and we really need to be looking to improve our youth system but in that respect we are no different to every other club in Scotland. Everybody would love to be watching 11 young lads that have come through the clubs youth system...Very few clubs achieve this or anything close to it...Barcelona being a notable exception

If you are going to bring through young players then you need to give them a chance. They take time to develop and build consistency. Considering the league you were in you had no better chance to do that.

If you are going to bring through young players then you need to give them a chance. They take time to develop and build consistency. Considering the league you were in you had no better chance to do that.

Not like Timmy to completely miss the point.

The best youngsters were given their chance. Some like McLeod and Aird took their chance and are now regulars...others suchasHemmings.. Hegarty and Mitchel just were not good enough and have moved on. They are playing at Cowdenbeath..Linfield and Annan(i think).

It is a complete myth that Rangers havent played their youngsters during the last two seasons.

You missed the chance though to develop young guys with no pressure on. You could have built a team that when you reach the premiership would mean you don't need to buy a complete new team to compete with us.

Now you are in the situation where when you return you need to go out and buy players to compete with us but you have no money to do that.

You missed the chance though to develop young guys with no pressure on. You could have built a team that when you reach the premiership would mean you don't need to buy a complete new team to compete with us.

Now you are in the situation where when you return you need to go out and buy players to compete with us but you have no money to do that.

I think it's a wee bit more complicated. There were a number of youngsters who were just not up to it and L2/L1 was probably their level eg. Perry, Hegarty, Naismith, Cole etc.

Others like Gallagher, McKay, Hutton, Gallacher, Crawford have yet to really prove themselves when given a chance.

Aird and MacLeod, though, are first team starters and will be once back in Premiership. Adding experienced players makes sense, if it's in the budget given to McCoist.

Once again rangers have went for the short term solution rather than develop a long term strategy.

If you get out of the championship which is by no means a gimme considering the players you have. You will need to heavily invest to try and compete for the league. Where is the money going to come for that?

You should have signed the best young players out there and used them to climb the leagues rather than buy guys who were looking for a quick buck and would be past it by the time you reached the premiership. Any decent manager would still have been able to win the lower leagues with a bunch of youngsters.

Once again rangers have went for the short term solution rather than develop a long term strategy.

If you get out of the championship which is by no means a gimme considering the players you have. You will need to heavily invest to try and compete for the league. Where is the money going to come for that?

You should have signed the best young players out there and used them to climb the leagues rather than buy guys who were looking for a quick buck and would be past it by the time you reached the premiership. Any decent manager would still have been able to win the lower leagues with a bunch of youngsters.

Aye, well, of course, no guarantee we'll get out of Championship, which partly explains the short-term approach by McCoist.

McCoist is also well aware of his limitations, and he clearly isn't a coach, so turning to experienced players makes sense for him.

It's easy to say we should have signed young players, but there's no scouting network at Rangers. So, McCoist has to manage Rangers out of L1 and scour Scotland for promising youngsters to compete in the Premiership? Anyone can sit around and say what should happen.

McLeod..Aird...Halkett...Gasparato...Gallacher.. Crawford...McKay will all be in the first team squad this season. That is 7 home grown youngsters and you can add the likes of Hutton.. Stoney..Murdoch and Ramsey to that list who will be pushing on.

On top of that list we have half a dozen more who were given their chance and who failed to make the grade. It is a complete myth that youth hasnt been given their chance

McLeod..Aird...Halkett...Gasparato...Gallacher.. Crawford...McKay will all be in the first team squad this season. That is 7 home grown youngsters and you can add the likes of Hutton.. Stoney..Murdoch and Ramsey to that list who will be pushing on.

On top of that list we have half a dozen more who were given their chance and who failed to make the grade. It is a complete myth that youth hasnt been given their chance

I feel you may be wasting your time trying to use truth and common sense to sway some of the cranks and obsessives around here.....

but then its likely that rangers gave more youngsters a chance last season than celtic managed during their one horse race to the title last season, but then you wouldn't know that.

That's a really interesting point. Would be interesting to know who gave more youth players a chance over the last two seasons, given both clubs were always going to coast to their respective chamionships.

Aye I think so.

I'm down that way this weekend so will hopefully head along.

If they lost to a makeshift Rangers team, 'Well should win the match no problem. :)

And yet, why do I expect them to lose? :)

Archived