Argentina v Switzerland

So, how will this one go?

I have a treble of Colombia, France and Argentina. Just waiting on Argentina, so they are sure to let me down and fail to win in 90 minutes. I was thinking of cashing the bet in but it's for piddly amounts of cash, as per usual, so i'll let it ride like the big spender I am.

Also have a huge £1 on Shakira, or whatever his name is, scoring first for Switzerland and then 2-1 Argentina @85/1.

It's another lunchtime kick off so I can see it being played at a fairly sedate pace again, but it's only forecast to be in the twenties, so you never know.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope this is half as good as yesterdays late game.

And I actually think it could be THE game of the last 16.

3-2 the Argies and Messi not to score.

Or else 1-0 Messi and a dull encounter.

3-1 Argentina. Both defences are poor but Argentina have far more going forward.

Shaqiri is too inconsistent and I think his good game is past him, so can't see him doing much today.

Interesting stuff about Xherdan Shaqiri.. He's the first player to score a left footed hat-trick in the World Cup and is known as the Lionel Messi of the Alps. He was also born in Kosovo.

I reckon Argentina will edge it 2 - 1. I also predict the commentators will be extremely partisan towards Switzerland, although perhaps not to the extent Townsend, Chiles and Tyldesley were towards Algeria last night.

How quickly will we get a "hand of god" comment, do we think?

I often base who I support in matches where I have no strong feelings on how much I like the town, city or country when I visited. Usually that means I support a team I've spent a lot of time in. With these two I have only spent a couple of hours in each.

With Switzerland, I entered by traveling down an alp on a pair of skis. It was a beautiful, sunny, winters day with a beautiful backdrop and friendly people.

Argentina had the most beautiful waterfalls I have ever seen in my life, absolutely immense and breathtaking. The town we stopped in was one of the dirtiest, depressing places I've ever been to however.

Based on that, I'm backing Switzerland.

Archived