Big Phil Scolari

FlyerTon

Brazil could appoint Fergie, Mourihno and Van Gaal and they'd still be just another team, their squad of players is poor for a Brazil squad.

The only surprise for me was that it took until the semi-finals b4 someone handed them their arse on a plate.

The only surprise for me was that it took until the semi-finals b4 someone handed them their arse on a plate.

I think Croatia were doing a decent job of it until the ref stepped in.

I think Croatia were doing a decent job of it until the ref stepped in.

You're probably right but that would probably have been a disaster for the tournament.

Brazil could appoint Fergie, Mourihno and Van Gaal and they'd still be just another team, their squad of players is poor for a Brazil squad.

Part of the reason their squad is so poor is because of some bizarre selections by Scolari. If he had actually picked the best players available to him and picked defenders who can defend then they they could have run Germany close. I'm not saying they would have beaten them, but if Algeria and Argentina could take Germany to extra time then they could have too. It's not a good generation of players, but it's not as bad as has been made out either, it's just been managed abysmally.

The whole aura of South American teams is long gone now. We see all their players week in week out on television, everyone now knows their strengths and weaknesses, unlike when Brazil, and to and extent Argentina were looked upon with any awe.

The only South American manager I can remember from those days is Menotti from Argentina in 1978, I couldn't even tell you who managed Brazil's greatest ever team in 1970.

I have no idea how Brazil are ever going to get back to their glory days now, especially with all the egos in football today. Perhaps having a European manager and playing over here more regular might help, but I don't know how your average Brazilian would take to that, given the way they seem to still idolize their heroes.

The whole aura of South American teams is long gone now. We see all their players week in week out on television, everyone now knows their strengths and weaknesses, unlike when Brazil, and to and extent Argentina were looked upon with any awe.

The only South American manager I can remember from those days is Menotti from Argentina in 1978, I couldn't even tell you who managed Brazil's greatest ever team in 1970.

I have no idea how Brazil are ever going to get back to their glory days now, especially with all the egos in football today. Perhaps having a European manager and playing over here more regular might help, but I don't know how your average Brazilian would take to that, given the way they seem to still idolize their heroes.

I'm a bit surprised at that. FWIW, it was Mario Zagallo, who became the first to win the WC as a player and as a manager.

Part of the reason their squad is so poor is because of some bizarre selections by Scolari. If he had actually picked the best players available to him and picked defenders who can defend then they they could have run Germany close. I'm not saying they would have beaten them, but if Algeria and Argentina could take Germany to extra time then they could have too. It's not a good generation of players, but it's not as bad as has been made out either, it's just been managed abysmally.

Exactly. Brazil have a lot of decent players but some of his selections were bizarre.

FWIW, my 23 would have been

GK: Julio Cesar, Jefferson, Victor

DF: Alves, Maicon, Marcelo, Maxwell, Thiago Silva, Luisao, Dante, Juan Jesus

MF: Oscar, Coutinho, David Luiz (good holding midfielder imo), Lucas Moura, Willian, Fernandinho, Bernard, Kaka

FW: Neymar, Robinho, Pato, Leandro Damiao

Clowns like Ramires, Fernandinho, Hulk, Jo and Fred making the trip over some of this lot is insane

Poor squad? They're a goalkeeper and a striker away from being a quality side.

Exactly. Brazil have a lot of decent players but some of his selections were bizarre.

FWIW, my 23 would have been

GK: Julio Cesar, Jefferson, Victor

DF: Alves, Maicon, Marcelo, Maxwell, Thiago Silva, Luisao, Dante, Juan Jesus

MF: Oscar, Coutinho, David Luiz (good holding midfielder imo), Lucas Moura, Willian, Fernandinho, Bernard, Kaka

FW: Neymar, Robinho, Pato, Leandro Damiao

Clowns like Ramires, Fernandinho, Hulk, Jo and Fred making the trip over some of this lot is insane

:1eye

Filipe Luis and Rafinha should have been stick ons for the squad really, if not starting. Bit surprised there was no Miranda aswell, and Lucas Moura would have been a far better option on the wings that what they had. Even Coutinho might have been a better option off the bench

Thinking about this made me realise how much of a waster Adriano was/is. He's "only" 32, and if he'd kept his early progress up he'd have easily been first choice, now he's untouchable and will never ever come near to having the career he should have had. He couldve been leading his country to glory in his homeland, instead he's jumping from club to club and can't last longer than a month anywhere he goes

Guest vierterstern

200 mio football mad people and a footballing powerhouse can not be that inept to field 11 players that reach the final. How on earth could that happen? Sure not all Filipaos fault for not calling up the right players, no? There aren´t too many great brazilian players that come to my mind that could have had been playing. The 2-3 form the Bundesliga neglected were no world beaters for sure. Don´t know the situation in other leagues and the domestic brazlilian league.

For me they were still the team to win it. In the end I was surprised they made it so far. Brazil probably lifes by its reputation.

Archived