Ricky Gervais

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always thought animals and politics are 2 of the funniest stand ups I've seen. Him tearing apart genesis and noah is superb, although the bible a bit of an easy target obviously.

Office was genius imo, absolutely perfect observations. Extras was less about the realism but probably slightly funnier.

just listening to him, merchant and pilkington chat on a tinpot radio show is just as funny as anything else he's done. Him and merchant are just genuinely funny peopls although it does feel a bit forced now and that he's squeezing every last fake laugh out of Karl pilkington. If you listen to the old radio shows there are conversations that they have had in the past that they have again slightly differently for the tv show and yet he's still laughing hysterically.

He's definitely a Marmite type character. I for one love him and think he's hilarious. I'm an atheist right enough so I have a special fondness for people who have the balls to shout down the Cult that is religion.

He is actually a pretty decent actor as well IMO. The scene where he begs not to be sacked in The Office and when he makes his speech on Big Brother in Extra's is just great acting/writing and very John Sullivanesque in the way that we can be laughing one second but be quickly reduced to tears the next. The latter being the better of the two in that instance IMO. David Brent and Andy Millman were completely different characters as well, and he portrayed them as such. I can honestly say I never thought of David Brent when I watched him in Extras and vice versa. Derek was nowhere near as good of course, but then I don't know if he was wanting it to be an out and out comedy. The first series dealt with a lot of issues the care sector has to struggle on with, and he actually dealt with them in a really good way. I thought the people saying he was mocking old folk and the care sector were way off tbh. Quite the opposite if anything.

It's always funny seeing religious nuts go off on one about him though. Is he not pretty disliked in America for his atheist views? I'm sure I read somewhere that he had to leave his home (in LA?) as a result of his views. Pretty much sums up religion for me though (or extreme religion at least) 'We believe in something and have the right to believe to it and shout it from the rooftops. If you disagree with our beliefs and question them then we have the right to ridicule and shoot you down though (sometimes literally :angry:)'

It's not the 15th century, mate. Your average Christian is about as harmless as celery. Fail to understand why people rally behind his criticism of religion either when it reads like every teenager who's just discovered Richard Dawkins (another complete dobber btw).

Typical smarmy git, gets a hit show, goes to America, loses weight, teeth whitened n thatch on his head ! Then starts telling us all his shity beliefs !! p***k

To be honest even on his XFM show which he had about 10 years ago, it was clear he what his beliefs were.

The Office is probably my favourite tv show of all time, its genius.Easily the best UK one anyway. So for that alone him and Merchant are legends.

I can see why people really don't like him, stopped following him on twitter ect for a while because it was God bashing non stop. Not that it offended me but because it got really boring and tedious. He probably is a p***k in real life but I think he puts it on sometimes because that seems to be the general perception of him and he doesn't give a fck.

His XFM show was brilliant though, I think I love Pilkington more because I don't think fame has changed him that much going by his tv shows.

I quite like The Invention of Lying.

I heard Gervais brushes his teeth and showers every day. The absolute arrogance of the man. He thinks he's so much better than us with his basic hygiene.

The reason I liked life's too short was.. Ricky gervais was trying to get away with what he could. As we know racist and homophobic jokes are out of bounds. But for some reason it's ok to slag midgets. Ricky knew this and took it to the extreme. It's the reason that wee midget actor c**t agreed to do it(forget his name).He knew that Ricky along with slagging midgets he was exposing that this for some reason was ok. Look out for the ladyboys if Bangkok jokes(whom exploit midgets). Check out this scene

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gfxkfbyi7ps

Much better than continuing derek which is what he said was the only thing he'd do from now on.

Personally I think he should just stick to writing. The man isn't anywhere near as funny a\s his material is.

Or with his head stuck up his own arse HE thinks he is

The Office is my favourite British TV show ever and I don't think anything is ever going to tear me up like that again.

He might be a bit of a p***k but you'd be too.

Archived