Raith v Forfar

Positives:

Perry isn't as bad as I expected

Nade was OK, Scott too. Vaughan and Anderson good from the bench.

Stewart can't defend, McKeown is shaky, Fox hasn't shaken off whatever injury was hindering him last season.

Honestly I quite like Fox but something is wrong. However no one else 'sits' as naturally so I think he's going to play a lot. I'm sure he can be better than today though.

The Forfar fan getting in some old man's face after the equaliser - well done you. TF I don't have to sit near you every week.

Why did we get a goal kick after Fox cleared out off the ref and out for a corner?

Still enjoyed it tbh (to be honest)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought we played well at times but in the end rovers fitness and that wee bit more quality killed us.

Wouldn't have been undeserved if we at least took it to penalties with denholm and swankie missing great chances to equalise at 3-2 .

Young and husband will be a cracking midfield pairing in league 1 once they have gelled more .

Onto the real bread and butter stuff next week , short trip to Stranraer .

Thought we played well at times but in the end rovers fitness and that wee bit more quality killed us.

Wouldn't have been undeserved if we at least took it to penalties with denholm and swankie missing great chances to equalise at 3-2 .

Young and husband will be a cracking midfield pairing in league 1 once they have gelled more .

Onto the real bread and butter stuff next week , short trip to Stranraer .

That and Young facing the right way when defending crosses.

TBF he took it well when walking towards the South Stand, he gave a wee smile which was far better than greeting.

He's still a Townie c**t though.

Watched Forfar's first goal back, McKeown's defending is even more laughable than what I had witnessed earlier today...no idea what he was doing! Watch out for the cool goal cam's for this season too! :)

Watched Forfar's first goal back, McKeown's defending is even more laughable than what I had witnessed earlier today...no idea what he was doing! Watch out for the cool goal cam's for this season too! :)

What did everyone make of his performance IIRC in the first half when he lost the ball, decided to win the ball then lost the ball and again tried but failed to win the ball, utterly woeful, the guy looked like he was in a trance.

Positives:

Stewart can't defend, McKeown is shaky, Fox hasn't shaken off whatever injury was hindering him last season.

Honestly I quite like Fox but something is wrong. However no one else 'sits' as naturally so I think he's going to play a lot. I'm sure he can be better than today though.

The Forfar fan getting in some old man's face after the equaliser - well done you. TF I don't have to sit near you every week.

Why did we get a goal kick after Fox cleared out off the ref and out for a corner?

Positives?

That's a lot of negatives

Positives:

Apologies for the behavior of the Forfar fan who celebrated in front of the old guys & his idiot mate. Total embarrassments & not reflective of the many decent loons who travelled to Fife yesterday. Overall I thought, in the end, that Rovers were fitter & more clinical than us. We had 2 great chances in the last period of et which we missed. Should have had a penalty for the Nade push too. Referee was dreadful for both teams. Looking ahead I am excited about us offensively but worried about the defence. Looked pedestrian & not enough of them in the squad.

Match report on rovers website is very detailed and fair . Hope this puts to bed our hoof ball style for now ....

Raith needed extra-time to earn a place in the second round of the Scottish League Cup, finally overcoming a skilful and resourceful Forfar Athletic 4-2 after two goals in extra time. A fine 20-yard strike from Calum Elliot and an own-goal from Forfars Derek Young proved the difference after a match in which the visitors slick pass-and-move style caused Raith problems for long spells.

I know it was the first competitive game for us this season and we still have a few boys out but I cannot really see any major improvements in the squad and i personally think we are still a player or two short.

We should be on the offensive when at home to lower league opposition but I thought in the first half Forfar kept the ball far better than us and we were wasteful. The full backs rarely ventured up the park, especially Mckeown and at times we resorted to the infamous punt down the channel or long ball hoping Nade will manage a flick on or hold the ball up.

Defending was really worrying at times and we were lucky Forfar never equalised in extra time before we got the 4th. Boy Denholm I think missed a great chance for his Hatrick.

So my views taken from yesterday's game:

Mckeown looks more reserved than he did when he was at Cowden and it potentially a weak link at the back.

Perry looks weak for a centre half, couple of times there was a complete lack of communication and both centre halfs were attacking the same ball and we wee caught out. Positioning questionable at times too, I recall a simple highland punt up the park which somehow caught out both centre backs and Swankie was in one on one in the second half.

Fox had a bad day at the office yesterday, wasteful in possession and gifting the ball back to Forfar. Also just sticking legs/head out anytime the ball came near him and was generally just getting in the road at times. Cuthbert went fucking mental at him in the 2nd half an rightly so after he decided to duck when on the front post at a corner when the ball was whipped in and it nearly went in!

Nade looks a handful, if we can utilise him properly ie the midfield coming up to support then we can really be a danger going forward. Holds the ball up well and brings others into play, typical big target man but also looks to have a decent turn of pace. Can see him notch a few goals.

I like Scott, likes to get involved and have the ball. Only problem for me is When Moon is fit they are both similar sort of players and like to get forward and we would really require one of the centre mids to tuck in and sit in so it'll be a selection headache for Murray.

Elliot did well was all over the pitch and chipping in with his defending as well. Goal was a stoater.

Not sure what happened at Forfar's second goal, Cuthbert seemed all at sea and lost and looked like a ball he should be claiming.

Into the next round i suppose although it wasn't great. Hopefully get Moon, Barr and Dougie back soon and maybe and another body on loan maybe another midfielder or a utility sort of player who can play defence or midfield.

Big improvements for Tuesday though needed, think if we play like that then we could end up being dumped out.

It's a shame we needed extra time but I've watched enough Rovers games and I wasn't at all surprised. Think the team needs to gel a bit more.

I thought Stewart had a good first half and looked pretty sharp. Has more pace than Cardle. Conroy took his goal well, again comfortable on the ball and has a good delivery on him. Shame we didn't take advantage at corners though, with quite a few missing everyone! Not a lot of pace in the team apart from Stewart which is a bit of a worry. McKeown could be a weak link his dithering and defending for the first Forfar goal (as I mentioned earlier in the thread) was laughable. Schoolboy stuff! I liked the look of Martin "Jimmy" Scott. Puts himself about and likes having the ball. Breath of fresh air in that regard. Nade created 3 of the goals and could have scored himself. Great touch for a big guy and will surely cause defences problems this season!

Rovers fans as like many other supporters are quite expectant. Yes we have built a reasonable squad for this season, but it was only one match. Other Championship sides struggled against lower league opposition yesterday as well.

Thought Forfar looked quite handy especially going forward. Dods still handles everything in the air. But slow mind you but he is 39..Templeman was creating problems for us as usual also. Would fancy your chances at a play-off spot! Good luck for the season ahead!

Didn't really see much to impress me. Fox was woeful, again. Perry and Watson didn't work, McKeown looked poor, as did Thomson.

Left after the 90 as I had something on, but didn't like what I saw.

Archived