Raith v Forfar

Being taken to extra time by a half-decent Forfar side, particularly when it's our first real game, isn't the end of the world. Thought their no. 10 was outstanding, held onto the ball and released at all the right times. Played Denholm in for the opener and his bad miss at 3-2 by doing just that. Something our midfield could learn from.

Have to say I saw more to be concerned about than positive about however. McKeown looked totally devoid of any confidence, he has to hold his hands up for the first goal and just seemed happy to get rid of the ball from then on. Perry was unconvincing alongside Watson, a lack of communication (e.g. the two of them going for the same ball now and then) is to be expected at this stage of the season but I felt he left too big a gap between himself and Watson at times (a common error from a full-back come centre back) and was weak in the challenge. Fox was the Fox we've seen since November that oddly got a new deal. Need more from him. Thomson very shoddy. Cuthbert had little to do but was caught out a bit by the second goal. Stewart came onto a game but is completely unwilling to take a man on, which is a worry if we're planning on playing him wide. The full-backs reluctance to get over the halfway line could be attributed to their poor performances and lack of confidence but in all honesty I can easily see it being a recurring theme.

On the plus side Nade is a handful - he does need to release the ball earlier much of the time - but a handful nonetheless. Great strike from Elliot for the 'winner'. Anderson was good. Scott will be a very decent signing if he cuts out the Charlie Adam Hollywood passes. Looking forward to seeing him and Moon together. And we ultimately won in a fairly tricky game, made harder by the lack of a match last week.

Certainly no need for panic but more than a few crinkles needing ironed out for Tuesday, but far more importantly next Saturday.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THought we gave a good account of ourselves and a big improvement on last week. Even at 3-2 we had chances to take the game to pens. Fair play to Raith for getting the goals. Defended a lot better with Dods back in there and it was disapointing to lose a penatly and an own goal.

I think Raith may have similar problems to us this season if this game is anything to go by, good going forward but look vulnerable defensively.

My highlights:

• Swankie's flick in the first half (even the Raith fans appreciated that). Some of Swankie's play was Premiership quality, but he also had some poor touches.
  • Denholm's two goals.
  • Dods looked comfortable, and Husband was effective in midfield.

My not-so-highlights:

• Nade's cheating for the penalty. I've watched the replays, and although Dods foot was high, it didn't reach Nade's face. May still have been a penalty, but Nade made sure.
  • The refereeing in general - a blatant Loons penalty turned down, and a bucket-load of poor decisions against both sides. He kept letting bad tackles go, only to give a free kick seconds later for something minor.
  • Loons fans disappearing as soon as the fourth goal went in. Surely, they should have stayed to applaud the efforts the boys put in?

My not-so-highlights:

• Nade's cheating for the penalty. I've watched the replays, and although Dods foot was high, it didn't reach Nade's face. May still have been a penalty, but Nade made sure.

Dod's boot was at Nade's face, and I'm pretty sure that there was contact. As I mentioned before, Nade and Scott had a great time riling up Dods.

Watch it again on Raith TV; looked to me that it reached his chest, and there may have been contact. As I said, may have been a penalty. but there was no way Nade got it full on the face. There was no blood, and I saw no swelling or anything on Nade's face as he left the pitch either after the incident or at half-time.

To be clear, not arguing it wasn't a penalty - just saying that Nade made the most of it, and against a team from a lower division, it's sad that he had to resort to that.

Stewart came onto a game but is completely unwilling to take a man on, which is a worry if we're planning on playing him wide.

Can't agree with this at all. Stewart got in behind the full-back at least 4 times, sometimes knocking it by him himself and others using quick one-twos or Scott playing the ball inside the full-back for Stewart to run onto. He looked far better than Anderson did when he came on. Thought he looked lively and could also be useful playing with Nade up top.

Plenty to work on but those expecting a flawless performance in our first competitive game, or saying that Murray's still not got it on the basis of one match with seven new players in the starting XI, are just professional mumpers.

some good stuff played in spells.Husband and Young will be a classy pairing in league1.Great to have Danny Denholm back. Thought Arron James looked decent. kinda cultured,calm type we need,unlike Dods who is sooo past it its funny. Walking mistake/booking/funk in head. worst pies in Scotland btw?!

some good stuff played in spells.Husband and Young will be a classy pairing in league1.Great to have Danny Denholm back. Thought Arron James looked decent. kinda cultured,calm type we need,unlike Dods who is sooo past it its funny. Walking mistake/booking/funk in head. worst pies in Scotland btw?!

Scotch pies, definitely, Ebola in a pie crust tbh. Steak pies are edible.

My highlights:

• Swankie's flick in the first half (even the Raith fans appreciated that). Some of Swankie's play was Premiership quality, but he also had some poor touches.
  • Denholm's two goals.
  • Dods looked comfortable, and Husband was effective in midfield.

My not-so-highlights:

• The refereeing in general - a blatant Loons penalty turned down, and a bucket-load of poor decisions against both sides. He kept letting bad tackles go, only to give a free kick seconds later for something minor.
  • Loons fans disappearing as soon as the fourth goal went in. Surely, they should have stayed to applaud the efforts the boys put in?

Absolutely agree with all of this except the question about penalty decision.

Looking at the video it is not clear, however I was in the Main Stand this week and saw the contact,

I was genuinely surprised there was no blood from Nade's face, it did look a sore one fropm Dods' boot.

Impressed with what I saw of Forfar, in spite of the hicup at East Fife last week I think they have the makings of a really good side. Impressed with Hilson, Swankie, Husband and Young.

PS Totally uniimpressed with the ranting knob Forfar loudmouth fan sat along from us. Absolute eedjit!!

What i should have said in my other post was that Forfar were a much better footballing side than i expected - for a Dick Campbell team I mean. Swankie showed good touches, he has always had a threat about him but somehow just not the whole package to make it at a higher level.

I was in the Main Stand too and it was a penalty. Also thought the Forfar claim (Nade on Kadr?) was too though. We made the chances to get it done it ninety and i'd hope more often than not we would have

Can't agree with this at all. Stewart got in behind the full-back at least 4 times, sometimes knocking it by him himself and others using quick one-twos or Scott playing the ball inside the full-back for Stewart to run onto. He looked far better than Anderson did when he came on. Thought he looked lively and could also be useful playing with Nade up top.

Plenty to work on but those expecting a flawless performance in our first competitive game, or saying that Murray's still not got it on the basis of one match with seven new players in the starting XI, are just professional mumpers.

I said take a man on, he did get behind the full-back but usually from balls played in behind that he latched on to.

He was certainly better than we've seen in the friendlies, I'd like to see him given a shot up front with Nade to show what he's all about but I don't see it happening any time soon unfortunately.

I said take a man on, he did get behind the full-back but usually from balls played in behind that he latched on to.

He was certainly better than we've seen in the friendlies, I'd like to see him given a shot up front with Nade to show what he's all about but I don't see it happening any time soon

unfortunately.

Would be quite harsh dropping Elliot after he's bagged a brace in his first competitive game surely..

Archived