Hamilton Accies vs Inverness CT - 09/08/14

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pleasing way to start the season. We played some nice stuff at times today, with Christie, Williams and McKay linking up well in attack, Shinnie breaking forward dangerously and and Tansey dictating things from the base of midfield. It undoubtedly helped that we seemed to be gifted a goal so early on though - I didn't really see what happened beforehand, but all of a sudden McKay was on his own at the corner of the box and was able to lob McGovern neatly. Towards the end of the first half and for the first 15-20 minutes of the second the inventiveness went out of our play a bit and Hamilton had a bit more of the game, but Marley Watkins coming on swung the momentum back to us - he was really lively and after cutting in from the right almost scored with a wicked shot that McGovern did well to touch onto the bar. Deserves a start against Dundee.

Accies were probably the ideal opening team for us - they looked nervous, gave the ball away too easily and also didn't really take advantage by pressing the ball when we were playing all the languid possession stuff. A more experienced team, more familiar with our players, would probably have managed to capitalise on that period where our level dropped more effectively. Someone I was with at the game mentioned that it was a bit reminiscent of our first ever SPL game, when we were easily beaten by a pretty efficient and experienced Livingston team. We stayed up comfortably in the end that season though, and given that Hamilton were missing a couple of their best players today, I wouldn't be writing them off yet.

Incidentally, the Hamilton Young Team trying to noise up some Canadian children's sports team at Hamilton West post-match was the most embarrassing thing I have ever seen. Ever.

Agree with the above post by A_M. We punished a couple of crucial defensive lapses and Accies never recovered. There was a good chance for Redmond in the first half when he blazed over from about 8 yards out and MAC had a rasping shot saved by Brill in the second half. Other than that though I thought we contained Hamilton quite easily whilst not really looking to add to our lead until Watkins came on. He injected a bit of directness into our attack again and I'd like to see him and Doran start ahead of Williams and Vincent when we play Dundee.

Just in. A highly pleasing start to the campaign. We looked like a settled,experienced Premiership side and played some good stuff.

Shout outs to Watkins and Christie who ran the show IMO. And to the blonde serving at the away kiosk. A #solid8

Yup. That's why we're in the Championship and Hearts, Hibs and Sevco are all in the Premiership... Oh wait

#KeeptheFaith

Exactly ;)

Premiership >>> trampionship

Someone I was with at the game mentioned that it was a bit reminiscent of our first ever SPL game, when we were easily beaten by a pretty efficient and experienced Livingston team. We stayed up comfortably in the end that season though, and given that Hamilton were missing a couple of their best players today, I wouldn't be writing them off yet.

(cough) I'll eat my hat if Hamilton stay up.

A good start from us. Accies helped us by gifting us a goal and not pressing us effectively but we did well, used the ball well. Ryan Christie can spot a pass and Watkins was magnificent when he came on. Can't add much to what AM said. Didn't think Hamilton were that good but they'll get better.

Just in. A highly pleasing start to the campaign. We looked like a settled,experienced Premiership side and played some good stuff. Shout outs to Watkins and Christie who ran the show IMO. And to the blonde serving at the away kiosk. A #solid8

Big fan.

I'd put some sauce on her pie

In terms of our performance, I thought we were good not great but Hamilton were so poor that it was a stroll. We played quite narrowly but Canning and Devlin were so sluggish that it actually worked well. We kept possession very well in the second, didn't take many risks but Hamilton didn't pressure us so we never needed to really. Better teams will pressure us and force us into mistakes but today was decent overall. Christie was excellent today and Watkins was very good when he came on. Shinnie was impressive again also and direct when required.

Shout out to the Hamilton casuals btw, top lads. #greenstreet

Archived