2014/15 Hot Potato

Over the Summer there's been a lot of debate on the promotion/relegation system, with people looking for ideas to make it more exciting. Here was my idea:

Keep 1 up 1 down down but instead of play-offs add a "hot potato" element to the league like so:

The biggest losers on the first day of the season get an "R" next to their name, and keep it until they win a game. The team they beat then gets the "R", and so on for 36 weeks. Whoever has it at the end of the last day of the season goes into a relegation play-off, no matter where they finish in the league.

It's like half league/half cup. Playing the team plagued with the "hot potato" would turn into the most exciting game of the season!

At the end of the season:

1st- champions

"R"- relegation play-off

12th- relegated

(If two or more teams share the worst result in week 1 the hot potato will go to whichever of the worst losers gets the worse result in week 2.

If 1st or 12th has the "R" at the end of the season the other teams just have to draw straws for it...)

This season I'll be watching the hot potato teams in each league over the course of the season and posting my findings on here.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top 6 split.

That doesn't really work. What if the hot potato team were also in the top 6?

And what happens if the team finishing last is the hot potato? No play-off, or the 11th placed team as normal?

Tbh, the idea does sound quite fun, although you might have to come up with a better name for the unlucky team than hot potato!

Top 6 split.

That wouldn't make a difference, theoretically the spud of doom could be passed on to a top six team on the last day of the split or before - thus turning the usually boring upper half into a series of gripping potato-playoffs!

Great idea, now all we need is for someone to contact the league to inform them of our decision.

That doesn't really work. What if the hot potato team were also in the top 6?

And what happens if the team finishing last is the hot potato? No play-off, or the 11th placed team as normal?

Tbh, the idea does sound quite fun, although you might have to come up with a better name for the unlucky team than hot potato!

If 1st or 12th has the "R" at the end of the season the other teams just have to draw straws for it...)

Sorry. Never saw that :) ... That's a terrible idea. I hereby withdraw my support and funding for "Hot Potato".

I could consider giving it to 11th in the event of 1st or 12th ending the season with it. Last year Hibs would have finished the season with the R next to their name.

For leagues that can't hold all their games on the first day the "R" will go to the biggest losers in the first round of fixtures. By telling the SPFL they're not ready to start at the same time as everyone else, Celtic ruin the fairness of this. Maybe they should start the season with the hot potato by default.

Really dislike the idea, it screams of novelty and nothing more. Relegation/Playoff spots should be on merit, not just on something that gets passed around that could potentially condemn a team on the day.

That wouldn't make a difference, theoretically the spud of doom could be passed on to a top six team on the last day of the split or before - thus turning the usually boring upper half into a series of gripping potato-playoffs!

Great idea, now all we need is for someone to contact the league to inform them of our decision.

Boring upper half ? You having a laugh ?

Archived