Raith Rovers v Dumbarton

Good result today. No clean sheet as expected. It was ONLY the second half that was actually good. The first half was still really poor. We persisted on long balls to Nade. Punts out by the Centre halfs and infuriatingly lazy balls by Thompson down the channels.

The second half we actually played some football and it actually entertaining.

It is still a concern that we can't start a game like this and get on the front foot early.

Better today but this needs to be the minimum level of acceptable performance.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do Dumbarton have any black/ coloured (don't know what the proper pc term is these days) on their books? If so Wearing those socks it's going to look like they have nicked a white players legs.

No we don't...but we'll take Nade if you want so you can see what it would look like.

First and fore most I thought the fans were great today. I felt at times last season that we pretty much gave up home advantage with some horrible atmospheres.

Thought the first half was pretty even with no team really deserving the lead. Right from the kick off in the second half we were more direct, with more variation in our attack.

Delighted for Fox getting the applause he deserved today. For as bad as Dunfermline was to sarcastically cheer one of your players off the park is shite. Fox is in that team to do the un-glamorous grunt work, and by in large he does it well, albeit is passing can sometimes be suspect. Great performance today though.

I still can't get my head around how nifty and quick Nade is. Between his flick ons and fancy footwork he merited his MOM but others can rightly feel aggrieved.

Lets hope we can get a bit of momentum going.

Good result today. No clean sheet as expected. It was ONLY the second half that was actually good. The first half was still really poor. We persisted on long balls to Nade. Punts out by the Centre halfs and infuriatingly lazy balls by Thompson down the channels.The second half we actually played some football and it actually entertaining. It is still a concern that we can't start a game like this and get on the front foot early.Better today but this needs to be the minimum level of acceptable performance.

Agree with this. Some folk are getting a bit carried away due to the fact we actually won a league match (and by more than one goal at that!). I don't think anyone was having a good game until we went ahead so not sure anyone could be classed as having a great game.

We did very little until we scored. We should be sending Watson up for every throw in McKeown takes rather than relying on Scott for the knock on.

After the goal we started to play well on the break and actually looked dangerous going forward for probably the first time in 2014.

Folk are raving about Nade but I thought Stewart was easily our best player. Great play in the build up to the third goal and set up a few other chances as well. Ironically Murray hadn't selected him from the start. Nade chooses the wrong option far too much but his strength means it's difficult to get the ball off him and I'd rather have him with us than against us.

Conroy contributes little in open play but hits a decent corner and looks like he could notch a few goals from free kicks.

Anderson, Thomson and Fox came onto games as time went on.

Still have doubts about us defensively, particularly on the left with Perry and McKeown but Cuthbert looks very solid for us.

Man of the match today was between Fox and Stewart.

Fox tidying up loose balls in midfield and Stewart had Dumbarton's right back on toast to the extent that he was subbed.

Replacement RB joined his colleague on same bit of toast.

When the confidence coursed through that team, we looked like we we're going to humiliate Dumbarton. Great to watch.

Fox was my MOTM today, in all the right places and his passes largely came off. Fair play to him for playing so confidently and asserting himself on the game after Tuesday night. Enjoyed seeing the coaching staff congratulate him when he came off. More of the same would be great.

Feels great to have won well when a lot less was predicted. In truth we weren't truly on top until Dumbarton chased the game. When Prunty came on they went to a back three and we scored immediately - sair ain for the manager. They might start slowly again this season but I'd be shocked if they went down. Not digging the nude effect socks though.

Anderson was rusty 1st half but good 2nd. Watson and Cuthbert were good throughout and 2nd half everyone was decent. Much prefer Stewart where he played today, Anderson's a far better option on the right as Stewart can't defend. Great play for Conroy's header just over.

Only 9 wins from safety yas

Man of the match today was between Fox and Stewart.

Fox tidying up loose balls in midfield and Stewart had Dumbarton's right back on toast to the extent that he was subbed.

Replacement RB joined his colleague on same bit of toast.

When the confidence coursed through that team, we looked like we we're going to humiliate Dumbarton. Great to watch.

Although van zanten wasnt upto much today, the reason he was subbed was more down to us throwing on another striker, a tactic we use pretty often when chasing a game.

Agree with this. Some folk are getting a bit carried away due to the fact we actually won a league match (and by more than one goal at that!). I don't think anyone was having a good game until we went ahead so not sure anyone could be classed as having a great game.

We did very little until we scored. We should be sending Watson up for every throw in McKeown takes rather than relying on Scott for the knock on.

After the goal we started to play well on the break and actually looked dangerous going forward for probably the first time in 2014.

Folk are raving about Nade but I thought Stewart was easily our best player. Great play in the build up to the third goal and set up a few other chances as well. Ironically Murray hadn't selected him from the start. Nade chooses the wrong option far too much but his strength means it's difficult to get the ball off him and I'd rather have him with us than against us.

Conroy contributes little in open play but hits a decent corner and looks like he could notch a few goals from free kicks.

Anderson, Thomson and Fox came onto games as time went on.

Still have doubts about us defensively, particularly on the left with Perry and McKeown but Cuthbert looks very solid for us.

Good post. I thought Dumbarton were the better team for an hour then fell apart, while we suddenly got confidence from the goal. The first half was a continuation from EEP, lumping the ball to Nade who had no one to play off him. Was fuming that Fox was picked, but he was bound to have a good game sometime - fair play. After the goal we threw off the straightjacket (Bert's tactics?) and just went for it, and it worked. Now that we shewed we can play there's no excuse for the previous shite - more of this please Bert.

Enjoyed the game, yesterday, second half especially where we seemed to step up a gear and play football.

1st half was poor, my 6 year old had it spot on with his analysis of why does everyone just hoof it !

Thought early on we had signed the wrong front man with Campbell looking busy, and Stewart poor.

However second half Stewart was the best player on the park. Nade looked good, has excellent close control, and I thought the keeper was calm and assured.

Good to see us have a few options at dead ball situations, the deliveries of free kicks, corners and throws, we're varied, for a change.

My son has still to see the Rovers lose.

The first half yesterday was pretty poor to watch. Hoofballs to Nade, which gave us nothing. Dumbarton looked the better side at that stage and the main positives at half-time were that we had kept it 0-0 and the PA system was working again.

In the second half we played football that was worth watching. Great free kick from Conroy and he narrowly missed getting a second with a header from a Stewart cross. Nade was always involved too, took his goal well and had a few other chances. It really could have been a rout. Excellent stuff and long may it continue, although that may be a hard task, with Hearts up next.

Another season and another first day defeat.

Dumbarton edged it in the first-half and at half-time thought Raith were there for the taking. The first goal was always going to be crucial and when Raith got it you could see their confidence grow.

Nade impressed again, as did Conroy.

No Dumbarton player had a particularly bad game but Megginson wasn't as effective as he can be. Campbell did well as did the reliable Turner.

The problem with playing Nish up front on his own is that we abandon our passing game for a more direct style of play. The constant long ball wasn't effective but we didn't look capable of changing our approach. We didn't play with enough width and when we did have the ball out wide chose to cut back rather than take on the full-back and get a decent cross over, losing momentum and making it easier for Raith to defend.

No complaints with the result although it did flatter Raith on the balance of play. Although we've got a terrible habit of starting losing three goals a game and not sorting it out til December.

Liked the railway stand. Good luck to Raith for the season ahead.

I'll try to keep the chat away from our terrible performance where we created very few chances (1st and 2nd half) and keep the chat to what everyone wants to hear... pies.

I was well warned on here not to go near the scotch/mince pies so only have myself to blame. unfortunately the situation was forced upon me as when I got to the front of the queue I requested a steak pie to be informed "5 more minutes son, I've just put some on". As I watched them spin round in the microwave I thought not a fucking chance, geez a scotch pie mate.

I got back to my seat, absolutely starving, and went for my first bite. All I'm going to say is I'm lucky I'm not waking up in a hospital bed this morning with a Fife face transplant. A tsunami of molten hot grease exploded from what actually seemed like a decent crust, I've never seen anything like it. It poured and poured like it was never going to end, it got to the point I thought my only option would be to lob it over the wall like a grenade before I ended up covered head to toe in pie juice.

I still ate the pie but thats only because I was ridiculously hungry. Take this as a warning, the Starks pies are up there with fireworks, be careful.

Dinnae eat the pies, Gadge. Grey sludge, drowned in grease, with some pastry holding these foul contents within.

The Carlton bakers in the Mercat Shopping Centre, and at T-Hall shops, do excellent steak bridies. Better than those Stephens ones. We should get those in.

Did warn you. It would be good if we could get better pies, some steak bridies, and some fudge donuts and apple turnovers.

The other thing to beware of at Starks is the coffee. It's a scientific miracle. They have managed to take water beyond boiling point. It'll take the roof of your mouth off.

Archived