Kilmarnock vs Aberdeen - 13/08/14

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was one of your fans that said he wasn't playing due to his knees and the pitch.

There have been numerous mentions of it in the press...

But the Dons may choose not to risk the ageing limbs of Barry Robson or Russell Anderson on the unforgiving artificial turf. http://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/sport/other-sport/turf-wars-could-give-killie-edge-1.519760

Nothing from the players, manager or club though?

Nothing directly, no. But plenty of mentions and going by the fact that Anderson wasn't able to play against Falkirk last year, it was a sensible conclusion to make. Haven't seen anything to suggest he will play, FWIW.

I've played on plenty artificial pitches. Some guys hate it because they'll say if you are prone to knee or ankle problems then it can be worse as there can be less "give" with the surface. That said the technology is coming on all the time and with Kilmarnocks's surface being modern it should be as good as it can be. It's come a long way from Loftus Road last century. Weighing it up I'm fairly sure there is an ever so slight increased risk of tweaks and strains in some cases.

Cannot blame Kilmarnock at all for laying it, clubs need the money.

More pissed that first away midweek game is between two teams so far apart. We dinna really like fans in this country eh?

Killie midweek should be playing Hamilton, St Mirren or Well. Dons should be in Dundee, Perth or the Highlands.

Hope for a good game and some square peg just about squeezing into a round hole at left back for us.

Is it on Alba???

I've played on plenty artificial pitches. Some guys hate it because they'll say if you are prone to knee or ankle problems then it can be worse as there can be less "give" with the surface. That said the technology is coming on all the time and with Kilmarnocks's surface being modern it should be as good as it can be. It's come a long way from Loftus Road last century. Weighing it up I'm fairly sure there is an ever so slight increased risk of tweaks and strains in some cases.

More pissed that first away midweek game is between two teams so far apart. We dinna really like fans in this country eh?

Killie midweek should be playing Hamilton, St Mirren or Well. Dons should be in Dundee, Perth or the Highlands.

Hope for a good game and some square peg just about squeezing into a round hole at left back for us.

Is it on Alba???

No, though apparently there are extended highlights on Alba on Thursday at 10pm.

Nothing from the players, manager or club though?

Allan Johnston's definitely hoping astro turf makes a difference...

"But hopefully other teams coming here might end up leaving some players out of their team if they have guys with niggles and decide they don't want to risk it on an artificial pitch."

Allan Johnston's definitely hoping astro turf makes a difference...

"But hopefully other teams coming here might end up leaving some players out of their team if they have guys with niggles and decide they don't want to risk it on an artificial pitch."

Allan's became awfy chatty over the summer. I like it.

Is it on Alba???

Kilmarnock is only half an hour longer drive from Aberdeen than Dingwall. It's not close.

No, football is full of people who want to watch a game played on grass as that's the best surface to play on and watch players play on.

Kilmarnock are not playing on a plastic pitch because it makes better viewing or benefits the players, it's purely down to finances and inept groundstaff.

We'd all love to have bowling-green surfaces year round. I'm sure Pittodrie looks like a snooker table come February.

Killie used to have one of, if not the best playing surfaces in the country*. A combination of having to fit USH and the larger new stands casting much more shade on the pitch** ruined that, giving us the undeniably poor pitch of recent years. Blaming the groundsmen is simplistic and unwaranted - they can only do their best in the circumstances.

*Those of us of a certain age will remember times we had BBC and STV cameras at RP to film for their Saturday night/Sunday afternoon highlights programmes - simply because there were no other games on.

** Especially at the old Johnnie Walker End.

We ripped Falkirk apart on a plastic pitch last season, I don't think it will be a bother to us to be honest.

Still not overly confident about tonight, however.

I'd love a scrappy 1-0 win.

Allan Johnston

The boy's learning...

#mindgames

We'd all love to have bowling-green surfaces year round. I'm sure Pittodrie looks like a snooker table come February.

Killie used to have one of, if not the best playing surfaces in the country*. A combination of having to fit USH and the larger new stands casting much more shade on the pitch** ruined that, giving us the undeniably poor pitch of recent years. Blaming the groundsmen is simplistic and unwaranted - they can only do their best in the circumstances.

*Those of us of a certain age will remember times we had BBC and STV cameras at RP to film for their Saturday night/Sunday afternoon highlights programmes - simply because there were no other games on.

** Especially at the old Johnnie Walker End.

What are you doing posting in a killie thread eh, eh??? :)

I understand the financial arguments and for Annan, Alloa, even Falkirk it makes sense. As a first principal I would much rather as many games as possible went ahead even if at the cost of a "level playing field". Which at the lower end of the league structure is allowable. Just pretty shabby and lacking in respect for a top flight side to do it.

Although i appreciate being the third force in your own town does make life hard on you guys, so maybe it would be better you toddle off down to the lower leagues where your club, attendances, and now surface would seem most at home. And take those smurn no-marks with you.

Anyway, thanks for the ready made excuse for tonights performance disaster. I hope none of our stars get injured and i hope all of yours have the skint-est knees and arses in history by November

I'd be very surprised at that. Is that down to funding towards the pitch?

At the KFCSA AGM Billy Bowie said that it was mostly down to scheduling. Apparently by the time the first team and all the youth teams have finished training/playing on it there's not much space left for anyone else.

At the KFCSA AGM Billy Bowie said that it was mostly down to scheduling. Apparently by the time the first team and all the youth teams have finished training/playing on it there's not much space left for anyone else.

They're not all on there at the same time, are they? It'd be like one of those dozens-a-side matches we played in the Piersland in my youth!

Archived