Dundee United vs Motherwell - 13/08/14

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On Sunday Aberdeen didn't have a shot on target, despite having nine corners.

Tonight Motherwell didn't have a shot on target, they had eight corners.

That in itself says something about our revitalised defence.

ETA. When was the last season we started with two wins and two clean sheets?

We started 92-93 season winning 1-0 at Motherwell, then again at Firhill. Over 20 years ago!

Thought United merited the victory for the second half display, great hit from big Mario.

McCall can't really be criticised for Well's defensive tactics after United gave them a few hidings last season. I'm sure Sutton will fair better against others than he did against Fojut & Morris tonight, who I was both reasonably impressed with.

Townsend looked capable at LB, people will just have to get used to not seeing Robertson bombing forward though!

Ciftci at his infuriating best, Armstrong poor for most of the game, although had a better spell towards the end.

GMS my MOM for being direct and always being a threat to the Well defence.

Oh, incidentally, Lee Erwin throwing Townsend into the corner was one of the funniest things I've seen in ages. Wonderful.

Throwing? You mean the time he ran into him shouldering him in the back?! Very Jim Goodwin!

Throwing? You mean the time he ran into him shouldering him in the back?! Very Jim Goodwin!

Aye, it was petulant nonsense after Townsend had outmuscled him 30 seconds earlier. Very lucky not to get booked, silly boy.

Anyway, good game overall tonight. United definitely the better team but Motherwell were well organised and defended stoutly. Easy to see why they've been one of the best four or five teams in the country over the last year or so.

Was surprised at how well we did to be honest I thought we were the better team in the 1st half nullifying United to long range shots and hitting the bar ourselfs and went a bawhair away from scoring from a corner. I think the fact that gms and Dow shall we say had both gone down very easily a few times is what made the Erwin push so funny

The second half we had no outball and went into our shells in terms of keeping the ball. Although I thought Erwin had scored damn that don't flag till he's touched it bullshit.

It was the most inexperienced back line I can remember having in a long time and it took a wonder goal to beat us tho McManus maybe got a little fortunate with a handball which was clearly accidental but still I've seen them been given

Plus points big Erwin was superb again what a shift he put in and Fraser Kerr again impressed.

Disappointed to lose it from what was a great strike after a terrible looking touch...

It was actually a great touch, looked like he just caught sight of your man coming in and opened his body and touched the ball forward for the strike.

Great goal to give us the win I think we deserved based on the last half an hour. Not a lot in it and very few clear chances or saves made.

I think Motherwell were looking for a 0-0 from the off and to be fair they did contain our midfield very well, which meant we resorted to longer balls which is where we got the winner from in the end.

It looks like we have a plan b of 4-4-2 and longer balls over the top this season which is nice to see as last season we had nothing other than our A game.

Very interesting match. As has been said, there was a vast improvement in both teams defending from last season and chances were few and far between in the first half.

I thought Armstrong was disappointing again and Rankin was unimpressive for large periods of the game. Ciftci is really irritating at the moment, he gets himself into the right places on the pitch but his decision making seems to be even worse than last season I'm really trying hard not to get too carried away with my praise for the new two centre-backs, particularly Fojut. The point when he made a clearance with an over-head kick then knocked back three sucessive headers was glorious. Very happy with Townsend again tonight too, he's looking very capable at this level. Obviously we'd all have preferred to have seen Robertson for a second season at Tannadice but although it's still early days, the money we got and this loan signing look like a very good deal.

I've had my reservations about Bilate, I wasn't too impressed by him up at the Easter Road friendly and while he set up Erskine's goal on sunday, his contribution on the whole hadn't enamoured me to him. However I thought he was far better when he came on today with his link up play and his goal was absolutely fantastic. I've seen so many goals like that been scored against us in recent years, especially at Tannadice, that it was even more satisfying to see it go in tonight.

Also I thought GMS looked the biggest threat for us in the first half and Dowser put his usual energetic shift. Erskine didn't do much but made a good couple of important tackles which got the crowd on his side further which should only do more good for his confidence going further.

I also thought Paton struggled to get into the game in the first half and was too clumsy at points, but had a superb second half, even when he had to cover at right back. He really should have stuck his chance away though.

Overall a very hard earned win. When I saw the first three fixtures for this season, I would have been happy to be walking away from them with four points, so it's very pleasing to have six points under our belt already and to be sitting top of the league. For now anyway.

It was actually a great touch, looked like he just caught sight of your man coming in and opened his body and touched the ball forward for the strike.

Aye, at the time I thought it was a stinking first touch too but watching again on arabzone it looks a very clever piece of play from Bilate before he shoots.

Screamer! Not sure about the first touch, leaning towards it being a bad one followed by excellent reactions. Tremendous timing in this photo n'all.

JS43990230.jpg

Brilliant couple of results to start the season, and excellent news about the centre of defence.

Aye, at the time I thought it was a stinking first touch too but watching again on arabzone it looks a very clever piece of play from Bilate before he shoots.

Fair enough, I'll need to see it again, certainly looked like it'd broken nicely from a bad touch.

Again, a classy touch and finish from Erwin as well, just a shame he was off!

Pretty excited to see how Leitch and Erwin develop, especially with Moore to add in the mix when he's fit again.

Over the piece United were the better side and deserved to win. We set out for the draw and ZFA retiring injured as half time didn't help. Halfway through the second half United had us under the cosh as we tired badly. That was the time to make changes but alas Stuart McCall was inactive in that respect. The goal was well taken but a disaster from a defensive viewpoint our midfield backed off and it was like the parting of the Red Sea. Bilate looked up, ran forward unchallenged, couldn't believe his luck and let fly to leave Dan the Man carry the can.

We rarely threatened as an attacking force although were unlucky early on when we struck woodwork. Not John Sutton's type of game but young Lee Erwin tested out Morris and Fojut who looked uncomfortable at times, especially on the deck. The latter's positional sense can only be described as bizarre.

Ref was the model of inconsistency and a real joke.

Actually enjoyed the game last night despite the late goal - I thought it was a good hard fought game. It says a lot about how things have been but it was actually pleasing to see us look organised and difficult to break down as we tried that a number of times last season and it worked precisely twice (both times at Pittodrie). Utd as expected had most of the ball - (although there was very little in it in the 1st half) - but Twardzik had very little to do.

I thought that Leitch, Kerr, Carswell and especially Erwin were the top men for us - we really need to persevere with the three of them that aren't first team regulars yet. I hope he doesn't suffer the usual problem with overly high expecations but Erwin looks like he's got what it takes. He seems to have a good mix of pace and skill and looks to be a handful - given that the flag was up a little bit late, I thought his (well finished) goal had stood - pity, although the decision looked right.

The winner was a peach and my feeling was that it was good skill to wrong foot our players before the shot - there's no problem losing to a goal like that as it looked likely that it was going to be the only way we would concede.

Tonight did us no harm at all, plenty of positives to take, so on to ICT on Saturday..

Tonight did us no harm at all, plenty of positives to take, so on to ICT on Saturday..

Some positives yes but some negatives too. Its alarming how unfit we seem to be. I know the squad is suffering serious injury problems just now but the 70 minute collapse last night was concerning. Lads like Erwin and Leitch looked knackered and should really have been taken off as their contribution waned alarmingly late on.

Over the piece United were the better side and deserved to win. We set out for the draw and ZFA retiring injured as half time didn't help. Halfway through the second half United had us under the cosh as we tired badly. That was the time to make changes but alas Stuart McCall was inactive in that respect. The goal was well taken but a disaster from a defensive viewpoint our midfield backed off and it was like the parting of the Red Sea. Bilate looked up, ran forward unchallenged, couldn't believe his luck and let fly to leave Dan the Man carry the can.

We rarely threatened as an attacking force although were unlucky early on when we struck woodwork. Not John Sutton's type of game but young Lee Erwin tested out Morris and Fojut who looked uncomfortable at times, especially on the deck. The latter's positional sense can only be described as bizarre.

Ref was the model of inconsistency and a real joke.

Sorry what? You mean Morris and Fojut who won everything in the air and were completely comfortable for almost the entire match? Fair enough fans can have differing views depending on who they are watching but both our central defenders strolled through the game last night.

Archived